Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 08:18 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
The main reasons why there is a huge draw of the black middle class to Atlanta is the knowledge that a black mayor is more likely to offer a relatively level competitive playing field for black small business owners and contractors to bid for city contracts. This is in comparison to the few the State of Georgia and most surrounding jurisdictions offers to black small businesses and contractors.

Yeah, it will likely slow down if not eliminate Atlanta's ability draw more black middle class than its competitors like DC, Houston, Dallas, etc.
I'd take DC off that list. It's gentrifying even faster than Atlanta as the quoted excerpt alluded to. Interestingly enough, both cities have very close parallels as it regards their first Black mayors and how they were very influential in shaping and establishing their Black middle classes in the 70's and 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 08:36 PM

164 posts, read 170,286 times
I look forward to Atlanta as the next Korean Mecca.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:01 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd take DC off that list. It's gentrifying even faster than Atlanta as the quoted excerpt alluded to. Interestingly enough, both cities have very close parallels as it regards their first Black mayors and how they were very influential in shaping and establishing their Black middle classes in the 70's and 80's.
D.C may have recently lost its black majority but black culture isn't dying in D.C area, a lot of it has just moved to PG county. Some areas of D.C will probably never truly gentrify either. Same with Atlanta. Heck a couple neighborhoods in D.C are gentrifying per se but it's wealthy blacks displacing poor blacks.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:54 PM

787 posts, read 968,937 times
Good article I feel the same way as the writer, black Democrat misleadership sells out the poor and working class people as usual.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:54 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,338 times
Quote:
The black middle class is still flocking to DC. SE DC gentrification is black middle displacing the black working class households. It's just not as fast as Atlanta's currently is, but if Atlanta winds up with a mayor like Norwood DC will likely outpace us for sure in Atlanta especially since this place is seen as a place to create black wealth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
D.C may have recently lost its black majority but black culture isn't dying in D.C area, a lot of it has just moved to PG county. Some areas of D.C will probably never truly gentrify either. Same with Atlanta. Heck a couple neighborhoods in D.C are gentrifying per se but it's wealthy blacks displacing poor blacks.
I concur wholeheartedly

Old 11-03-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Neither is Black culture dying in Atlanta. That's not what jero23 was alluding to.

Quote:
The black middle class is still flocking to DC.
The Black middle class isn't "flocking" to DC proper; otherwise the city wouldn't have lost its Black majority six years ago.

Quote:
SE DC gentrification is black middle displacing the black working class households.
Those days are swiftly coming to an end:

https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/...cing-residents

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...edium=headline

Quote:
It's just not as fast as Atlanta's currently is, but if Atlanta winds up with a mayor like Norwood DC will likely outpace us for sure in Atlanta especially since this place is seen as a place to create black wealth.
Overall DC is gentrifying faster than Atlanta; that's a statistical fact.

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/...g-the-fastest/
The 10 U.S. cities that are gentrifying the fastest | Grist

Plus it's very likely that DC will very soon see its first White (or at least non-Black) mayor within the next couple of years as well. Also one advantage that Atlanta has over DC is a lower cost of living.

But overall, the point is I don't see a city like DC, which is probably Atlanta's closest parallel in terms of the Black population and gentrification trends, suddenly pulling away from Atlanta in terms of attracting Black folks when the Black percentage is decreasing in both cities and DC is now less than 50% Black. I do agree with your mentions of Houston and Dallas though, and that's actually based on current trends which I expect to hold. But interestingly enough, neither Houston or Dallas has had the successive string of Black mayors that Atlanta and DC have, yet that hasn't prevented Black folks from truly flocking to those places in recent years. Similarly, I don't expect one White mayor to have this hugely disruptive effect in Atlanta.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:39 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,338 times
Quote:
Neither is Black culture dying in Atlanta. That's not what jero23 was alluding to.

The Black middle class isn't "flocking" to DC proper; otherwise the city wouldn't have lost its Black majority six years ago.

Those days are swiftly coming to an end:

https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/...cing-residents

https://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/bl...edium=headline

Overall DC is gentrifying faster than Atlanta; that's a statistical fact.

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/...g-the-fastest/
The 10 U.S. cities that are gentrifying the fastest | Grist

Plus it's very likely that DC will very soon see its first White (or at least non-Black) mayor within the next couple of years as well. Also one advantage that Atlanta has over DC is a lower cost of living.

But overall, the point is I don't see a city like DC, which is probably Atlanta's closest parallel in terms of the Black population and gentrification trends, suddenly pulling away from Atlanta in terms of attracting Black folks when the Black percentage is decreasing in both cities and DC is now less than 50% Black. I do agree with your mentions of Houston and Dallas though, and that's actually based on current trends which I expect to hold. But interestingly enough, neither Houston or Dallas has had the successive string of Black mayors that Atlanta and DC have, yet that hasn't prevented Black folks from truly flocking to those places in recent years. Similarly, I don't expect one White mayor to have this hugely disruptive effect in Atlanta.
There articles specify displacement, but Southeast DC is being gentrified by black middle class property owners. Technically, DC should have gotten a non-black mayor already since it is below 50% black, but somehow Muriel Bowser won. Unlike the surrounding areas around Atlanta, DC does have a healthier socioeconomic, politically progressive surrounding metropolitan area, so educated blacks are more likely to thrive economically in Metro DC than in Metro Atlanta.

Dallas and Houston's main attraction to the black middle class are stable careers with access to higher salaries and to the black wealthy is no state income tax in Texas. Those two aforementioned cities have over Atlanta are those places offer jobs in career fields with much more upward mobility versus jobs in the same career fields here in Atlanta. I know of several black professionals that have moved on those other cities (DC, Dallas, and Houston) and gotten higher paying jobs in their respective career fields. Also both cities (Dallas and Houston) have thriving and rapidly growing black cultural amenities and festivities. (City of) Atlanta's main attraction has been black political leadership, whom were willing to make the playing field equitable and competitive for black entrepreneurs and contracts as unlike the rest of Georgia. The region's growth and higher than average black population was an unexpected consequence.

Last edited by jero23; 11-03-2017 at 08:47 AM..

Old 11-03-2017, 08:43 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,439,999 times
As a black male, what will Atlanta really be losing and what constitute a true black mecca? Yes there are successful African Americans in Atlanta, but many suffer from living on credit and not building sustainable wealth, unhealthy respect for all authority including parents, not owing land and things that appreciate in value, and not leaving a legacy and will for future generational. That is not a mecca but a systematic mess of pretending to be something that is an illusion. One thing I do like about gentrification that is occurring in West End, it is not homogeneous and one culture, but all cultures including myself. A mecca constitute ownership, creating an estate/will, and industry that promotes healthy community; henceforth, it does not include pretending to better (joneses'), disinvestment in your community, and lack of generational wealth and having no will or assets for the next generation. This election give Atlanta an opportunity to take a true look at itself and come out of fantasy land of what is not real.

Last edited by Atlwarrior; 11-03-2017 at 09:13 AM..

Old 11-03-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
There articles specify displacement, but Southeast DC is being gentrified by black middle class property owners. Technically, DC should have gotten a non-black mayor already since it is below 50% black, but somehow Muriel Bowser won.
Displacement is coming. Black folks in SE know this; just watch what happens when these new developments are up and running. That's what will turn the tide and everyone here is well aware of it. Technically it's already started with the huge Navy Yard development; now similar developments are jumping the Anacostia River.

Articles like this wouldn't have to be written if it were just Black people with more money moving to SE: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.0c3820d72914

A city doesn't have to be majority Black to have a Black mayor; you can look at Houston as a recent example. And DC still has a Black plurality (although not by much).

Quote:
Unlike the surrounding areas around Atlanta, DC does have a healthier socioeconomic, politically progressive surrounding metropolitan area, so educated blacks are more likely to thrive economically in Metro DC than in Metro Atlanta.
This has long been the case yet metro Atlanta has been outstripping metro DC in Black growth for at least the past couple of decades. One White mayor isn't enough to disrupt this trend. Y'all act like Mary Norwood is a female version of Trump or something.

Quote:
Dallas and Houston's main attraction to the black middle class are stable careers with access to higher salaries and to the black wealthy is no state income tax in Texas. Those two aforementioned cities have over Atlanta are those places offer jobs in career fields with much more upward mobility versus jobs in the same career fields here in Atlanta. I know of several black professionals that have moved on those other cities (DC, Dallas, and Houston) and gotten higher paying jobs in their respective career fields. Also both cities (Dallas and Houston) have thriving and rapidly growing black cultural amenities and festivities. (City of) Atlanta's main attraction has been black political leadership, whom were willing to make the playing field equitable and competitive for black entrepreneurs and contracts as unlike the rest of Georgia. The region's growth and higher than average black population was an unexpected consequence.
Cyclical economic growth that has recently favored Dallas and Houston is what has given them a nice bump with respect to Black growth, particularly in the immediate post-recession years. It remains to be seen if that will continue to hold for Houston given its current economic malaise. Atlanta's economy has finally recovered so I'd expect to see a correlating population increase, which tends to be a lagging indicator.

Black political leadership is what set the stage for Atlanta's Black middle class growth; now the drivers in place for that growth go well beyond that and it should be kept in mind that the Atlanta suburbs have been experiencing the vast majority of the region's Black growth for a good while now. And even with a White mayor, the city of Atlanta's Black political class would still be robust with Blacks represented in various other sectors of local government.

At the end of the day, I don't buy this whole "the sky will fall for Black people if Atlanta gets a White mayor" argument, especially given the fact that suburban Atlanta is where most Black transplants to the region have chosen to settle--which has been true for decades at this point.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 11-03-2017 at 09:30 AM..

Old 11-03-2017, 09:29 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:

At the end of the day, I don't buy this whole "the sky will fall for Black people if Atlanta gets a White mayor" argument, especially given the fact that suburban Atlanta is where most Black transplants to the region have chosen to settle--which has been true for decades at this point.
I always view that "sky is falling" schitck to refer to the Jackson political machine more than Atlanta's black population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta