Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 09:05 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,857,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
I think the transit funding cut is just the unused Cumberland circulator bus. No great loss.

The library closures is more concerning.
I called they would do it once federal grant ran out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 09:33 PM

1,054 posts, read 922,008 times
It averages 1 rider per bus.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:20 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,052,659 times
I doubt anybody in Cobb county would notice if the transit budget was cut.

But there's really nothing worse you can do for a community than to cut libraries and parks. Those are things that the big earning tax base covets, and if you alienate them, then you've got huge issues. No wealthy person wants to live in an area with struggling libraries or crummy parks.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

But there's really nothing worse you can do for a community than to cut libraries and parks. Those are things that the big earning tax base covets, and if you alienate them, then you've got huge issues. No wealthy person wants to live in an area with struggling libraries or crummy parks.
A county of 750K+,. people WILL notice cuts to transit. While the middle class and up commuters may not use local bus service, South and Central parts would feel the crunch as they spend more time commuting to work and risk losing income, then housing. How shortsighted of you to say that

Old 11-05-2017, 06:49 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

Nobody likes cutting libraries and there's not a lot the average citizen can do about it.

However, with parks what they do in the COA is just remove public funding and let a private conservancy be formed to provide the funding.

I guess it's possible you could do something similar with libraries. Isn't that what they did with the NYPL?

Old 11-05-2017, 09:51 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Right out of my mouth haha!

Cobb Linc has $21 Mil. dedicated to it per year. That's 2/3rds of the budget deficit right there, not including the sale value of Cobb Linc's assets that could close the gap for a few years while the county figures itself out.

By contrast, a 1% MARTA tax would be independent of the county's budget, and generate ~$131 Million per year in revenue, or 6 times the Cobb Linc annual funding.
Now that's what I call a solution!

Old 11-05-2017, 10:01 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,258,301 times
CCT is the absolute worst. It was the "throw them a bone" solution back when it was founded in 1989 when the county was all full grown and in need of transit. If it hadn't have been created (and if the also-weak and underfunded GRTA had not been created a decade later), and Cobb had no public transit at all, then the public fury to join MARTA (and get actually good transit) would have escalated to a boil, and we'd have MARTA. Instead of the barely-existent non-comprehensive non-rapid bus-only transit non-solution that we have now.

MARTA should have been the only option in the first place.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
CCT is the absolute worst. It was the "throw them a bone" solution back when it was founded in 1989 when the county was all full grown and in need of transit. If it hadn't have been created (and if the also-weak and underfunded GRTA had not been created a decade later), and Cobb had no public transit at all, then the public fury to join MARTA (and get actually good transit) would have escalated to a boil, and we'd have MARTA. Instead of the barely-existent non-comprehensive non-rapid bus-only transit non-solution that we have now.

MARTA should have been the only option in the first place.
IMO GRTA has filled a void that provides thousands of cheap and stress free rides during weekdays, but we need more layers!

Old 11-05-2017, 10:08 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,258,301 times
Oh I'm not knocking GRTA, but it can't fill the void of not having actual mass transit (rail) in Cobb and Gwinnett.

Xpress is a perfectly acceptable transit solution for outer counties outside of the urbanized core 5. (Though it should provide express commuter/regional rail in addition to express bus service.)

Old 11-05-2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Oh I'm not knocking GRTA, but it can't fill the void of not having actual mass transit (rail) in Cobb and Gwinnett.

Xpress is a perfectly acceptable transit solution for outer counties outside of the urbanized core 5. (Though it should provide express commuter/regional rail in addition to express bus service.)
100% agreement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta