Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 03:38 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times

Advertisements

Changing the time forward for an hour half the year is not the only solution to avoid early sunrise. The world should get together and figure out the freakin' time, and time zones, to avoid all those problems, without any DST. Studies have shown DST wastes a bunch of money and is bad for our health.

For example, Boston and Atlanta shouldn't be in the same time zone. Boston should be on Atlantic time.

If EDT is a better all around fit for Atlanta than EST, then we should use that year round. Just pick one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 05:44 PM

654 posts, read 527,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Changing the time forward for an hour half the year is not the only solution to avoid early sunrise. The world should get together and figure out the freakin' time, and time zones, to avoid all those problems, without any DST. Studies have shown DST wastes a bunch of money and is bad for our health.

For example, Boston and Atlanta shouldn't be in the same time zone. Boston should be on Atlantic time.

If EDT is a better all around fit for Atlanta than EST, then we should use that year round. Just pick one!
Dude, now you are just rambling. That post makes zero sense.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:51 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
You get the same amount of daylight either way. The number on the clock is irrelevant.
That's what I'm going to tell my boss. The number on the clock is irrelevant...I'll just start work when it's light out!

Old 11-05-2017, 08:57 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,425,818 times
Hate it camp.

Getting done with work and it being dark out sucks.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:34 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,561,928 times
Quote:
Still doesn't make much sense. We can't change the amount of darkness or light. It either gets darker earlier in the evening, or the sun rises later in the morning. Does it really matter?
I totally get your thought process on this; why are we shifting the literal numbers on the clock that the sun is out? The time that the sun is out doesn't matter much to me, since I work in an office during most of it. I used to subscribe to the same thinking.

Eventually, it dawned* on me that what we are doing is keeping our clocks, and thus our circadian rhythms, keyed to sunrise. And, while it started out as an agrarian thing [farmer Jethro was getting up at 7am all winter, but has to get up at 5am during the summer to keep up with the sunrise and make maximum use of daylight hours], it became popular with urban populations who were afforded more daylight time after work. By keeping the start of our day close to sunrise, and shifting our clocks to keep up with it, we can make the most of the day, even if we're not all farmers.

* - See what I did there?

BTW, I don't disagree with parts of your follow-up post about Boston and Atlantic Time Zone. For a few years now, there's been talk about moving New England, or chunks of it, into Atlantic Time. Honestly, the end of Daylight Savings is more likely to happen, though. But that's a discussion topic for another sub-forum.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:29 PM

1,054 posts, read 922,325 times
I like it. Optimizes our modern society for daylight.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:58 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,983 times
Can you imagine if we were just over the state line in Alabama? Instead driving home with the sunlight dimming at 5:30, it would instead be 4:30. We're "lucky" to be on the western edge of our time zone.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:01 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Takes my poor pups about two weeks to adjust to the time changes. They eat at 5:00 pm but right now start talking me at 4:00 pm for dinner. They don’t like the time changes one bit.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:30 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
Move the equator. Live a tropical lifestyle and never worry about time again.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:26 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Can you imagine if we were just over the state line in Alabama? Instead driving home with the sunlight dimming at 5:30, it would instead be 4:30. We're "lucky" to be on the western edge of our time zone.
I know. I think some people just like to complain about anything on here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta