Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who should be Atlanta's next mayor?
Keisha Lance Bottoms 56 47.06%
Mary Norwood 63 52.94%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 10:39 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times

Advertisements

Getting this back on topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Up until this week, I would have guessed 10 point L-B win, but these endorsements have me rethinking that a lot. Beyond the value of the endorsements themselves, politicians just don’t hop on board a sinking ship.
I guess it could be the result of Reed turning it up to “11” of “it’s nothing personal, it’s just politics” meter —maybe Cesar, Franklin, etc. have taken it very personally, or maybe they see where the demographics of the city are going, and figure that even if Norwood loses, having supported her can only help them in the future. Or, maybe they just think Norwood is just better, or continuing on Reed’s current trajectory is just that bad.
Reed should've S.T.F.U. a lot more rather than acting like a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 01:39 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Up until this week, I would have guessed 10 point L-B win, but these endorsements have me rethinking that a lot. Beyond the value of the endorsements themselves, politicians just don’t hop on board a sinking ship.
I guess it could be the result of Reed turning it up to “11” of “it’s nothing personal, it’s just politics” meter —maybe Cesar, Franklin, etc. have taken it very personally, or maybe they see where the demographics of the city are going, and figure that even if Norwood loses, having supported her can only help them in the future. Or, maybe they just think Norwood is just better, or continuing on Reed’s current trajectory is just that bad.
It'll be interesting to see what the result of these endorsements are. From my view, they all feel more like "nnti-Reed" endorsements rather than "pro-Norwood" votes of confidence. For sure it will cause a lot of people to go out and vote for Norwood, but I know a lot of people that truly believe Norwood is a Republican in sheep's clothing. Whether or not that's true is not relevant to the perception, and people will vote for KL-B because of that even if she isn't the most progressive person in the world.

Old 12-01-2017, 02:18 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
It'll be interesting to see what the result of these endorsements are. From my view, they all feel more like "nnti-Reed" endorsements rather than "pro-Norwood" votes of confidence. For sure it will cause a lot of people to go out and vote for Norwood, but I know a lot of people that truly believe Norwood is a Republican in sheep's clothing. Whether or not that's true is not relevant to the perception, and people will vote for KL-B because of that even if she isn't the most progressive person in the world.
The endorsements don’t have to change the mind of a lot of folks—maybe just get 3 to 4% to flip and another 3-4% to care enough to vote, instead of staying home. And the whole Mitchell-Woolard-Franklin endorsements have to dull the “she’s a republican” attack in a lot of folks minds—-really, does anyone really think that any of those three would support a “closet republican”—much less, all three support one?

Old 12-01-2017, 03:03 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Even if Norwood was a confirmed member of the GOP, I'd rather vote for a non-corrupt Republican than a corrupt Democrat.

Old 12-01-2017, 03:10 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
I don't want to hear "Mayor Bottoms" constantly for several years.

Old 12-01-2017, 03:12 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,360,940 times
Ha! Ha! Ha! That is EXACTLY what my wife keeps saying!

Old 12-01-2017, 03:41 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Even if Norwood was a confirmed member of the GOP, I'd rather vote for a non-corrupt Republican than a corrupt Democrat.
I don’t know that either L-B or Reed are corrupt to any significant degree, and I do not think that Norwood is a Republican. Outside of this campaign really Reed and L-B seem fine to me. But, in the last year Reed has really been acting like a caricature of himself, and it’s a little freaky.

Old 12-01-2017, 03:57 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
I don’t know that either L-B or Reed are corrupt to any significant degree, and I do not think that Norwood is a Republican. Outside of this campaign really Reed and L-B seem fine to me. But, in the last year Reed has really been acting like a caricature of himself, and it’s a little freaky.
I think what has caught the attention of many with regard to Reed's behavior is the vehemence with which he has both defended Bottoms and attacked her opponents, particularly Norwood. He clearly has a keen interest in placing KLB on the throne, and it seems to transcend politics as usual to the point where it is compromising his reputation. It raises my suspicions; what does he want from her in return? Protection and absolution in the face of future scandal?

Old 12-01-2017, 04:01 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
WSB just announced their latest poll; Norwood has a six point lead.

Old 12-01-2017, 04:11 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
WSB just announced their latest poll; Norwood has a six point lead.
51 to 45
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta