Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who should be Atlanta's next mayor?
Keisha Lance Bottoms 56 47.06%
Mary Norwood 63 52.94%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 09:57 AM

32,023 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
They never were part of the CoA.
Well, a big chunk of Brookhaven has been in the COA for a long time and that has never changed. The new city of Brookhaven was formed out of the unincorporated areas that were not in the COA.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
You mean never was apart? Brookhaven never was apart of COA. It’s not like it’s Kirkwood Dekalb with an Atlanta address and city services, Brookhaven never had a say so in COA. They voted for Dekalb candidates.
Yes, exactly like Kirkwood. They have Atlanta addresses, get Atlanta services and pay Atlanta taxes, and they vote in Atlanta elections.

Bear in mind that there's a difference between Brookhaven that's always been in the COA and the part of Brookhaven that's in the new city of Brookhaven.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:02 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, a big chunk of Brookhaven has been in the COA for a long time and that has never changed. The new city of Brookhaven was formed out of the unincorporated areas that were not in the COA.
But those people could never vote COA though. And I wouldn’t call that a big chunk of Brookhaven, most of the population of Brookhaven isn’t in that highlighted area. I would think of Dresden Dr Brookhaven before I would any of those areas. And I’m oretty sure most others feel the same.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:02 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,301,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Considering white people are the majority in this country, nobody wins the white house without white support.

And actually, a lot of white people, mostly from the dumber segments of the Bernie crowd, were calling Hillary Clinton and her supporters republicans. Or "worse than republicans". Loudly, and repeatedly.
Actually Obama only got 59% of the white vote in 2012 I believe. That was when I realized the country was way less white than I realized.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:04 AM

475 posts, read 684,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Trust me. Black folks can see the coded language and dog whistles folks like Norwood and yourself use. It's not that hard.
Indeed.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:05 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Atlanta mayoral race headed for recount - CNNPolitics

Old 12-06-2017, 10:11 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
It was a fair election and KLB won. Don't have any issue with that. What I do have an issue with is the other things that I mentioned about the racial verbiage and racist signs and how white people have proven in Atlanta they will vote for black candidates but the reverse is not true. I have never mentioned Brookhaven or any excuse for Norwood losing.
Stop making blanket statements about a segment of society you obviously have no insight on. You can stay in your corner, that’s fine, nothing wrong with that. But don’t come out of that corner and make statements like you know what you’re talking about.

And if you read my post then clearly the Brookhaven comment wasnt directed to you.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
But those people could never vote COA though. And I wouldn’t call that a big chunk of Brookhaven, most of the population of Brookhaven isn’t in that highlighted area. I would think of Dresden Dr Brookhaven before I would any of those areas. And I’m oretty sure most others feel the same.
The Brookhavenites who live in the COA have always been able to vote in COA elections. A lot of them are very passionate about their city (Atlanta) and they typically have pretty strong turnout in COA elections. A lot of major contributors live up there, too.

You're thinking of areas like Dresden, which were always outside the COA. They're in the new city of Brookhaven, which was formed out of areas that were not in the COA. The COA didn't lose any territory or residents (or voters) when the city of Brookhaven was formed.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:30 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The Brookhavenites who live in the COA have always been able to vote in COA elections. A lot of them are very passionate about their city (Atlanta) and they typically have pretty strong turnout in COA elections. A lot of major contributors live up there, too.

You're thinking of areas like Dresden, which were always outside the COA. They're in the new city of Brookhaven, which was formed out of areas that were not in the COA. The COA didn't lose any territory or residents (or voters) when the city of Brookhaven was formed.
Isn't the Capital City Club, which is in Brookhaven, located within Atlanta's city limits? That area has always been my idea of "Brookhaven."

Old 12-06-2017, 10:31 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
The only person who was discriminated against was Mary Norwood. Because of the color of her skin. In 2017. Amazing.
HAHAHAHAHAHA funniest post in this thread yet!! Bless her heart!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta