Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 06:13 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times

Advertisements

Patronize much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 06:38 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,749,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
But how many black people invite other races into their homes? I think it swings both ways.
I invite white women to my place all the time

Old 11-16-2017, 07:34 AM

815 posts, read 708,011 times
Quote:
But how many black people invite other races into their homes? I think it swings both ways.
Good point. I am African American and in the camp that says you just can't force people to like each other. The problems with events like this is that it all just seems so fake. Also, in my experience some of the people who are big into pushing interracial unity themselves have hang ups about race that I don't believe are healthy.

However, I do believe people should respect people who are different from them and act accordingly. I think that this is what we should be mandating, not token relationships. This would go a long way toward fostering true interracial friendships. Lots of people bash political correctness in the workplace and elsewhere but it's all just about respect and being kind to people who may have drastically different outlooks on life that you do.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:22 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,559,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Just the women?

Old 11-16-2017, 11:53 PM

787 posts, read 968,418 times
Blacks always begging and needy for white people's approval. White people lives are just fine without black people, they don't need to meet us for them to live fulfilled lives. Black people need to get to a point where we have enough self love to not care about what white people think.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:13 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post

Quote:
Just the women?
LMAO. Who else should he invite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
Good point. I am African American and in the camp that says you just can't force people to like each other. The problems with events like this is that it all just seems so fake. Also, in my experience some of the people who are big into pushing interracial unity themselves have hang ups about race that I don't believe are healthy.

However, I do believe people should respect people who are different from them and act accordingly. I think that this is what we should be mandating, not token relationships. This would go a long way toward fostering true interracial friendships. Lots of people bash political correctness in the workplace and elsewhere but it's all just about respect and being kind to people who may have drastically different outlooks on life that you do.
Very well said!!!! Can't be fake, can't be forced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
Blacks always begging and needy for white people's approval. White people lives are just fine without black people, they don't need to meet us for them to live fulfilled lives. Black people need to get to a point where we have enough self love to not care about what white people think.
I don't think there is a begging of approval, but some level acceptance. But some blacks don't give two craps either, and live their lives fulfilled just as much. It's evident in those that do and don't seek that approval. You'll never succeed or be happy in life pleasing others.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:21 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,335 times
As a Hispanic man, I feel people are far too focused on race in this country. People are people. I actually have more white friends than Hispanic ones. When you get to know people on an individual basis, race no longer matters. My brother in law is from Nigeria, and I sometimes forget that he's black now because it simply makes no difference.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Just the women?
Yes

Old 11-17-2017, 03:46 AM

Quote:
I think she was just being creative with this being her first event. If you are in the Atlanta networking scene you know that there are plenty of networking events almost daily here. I think that instead of having the typical networking event she wanted it to have a catchy title to it to create more of a buzz and to stand out more. Maybe she also didn't just want one particular race coming and she wanted it to be a diverse atmosphere....at least I hope so lol

Old 11-17-2017, 07:58 AM

815 posts, read 708,011 times
Quote:
I have to agree with this unfortunately. I do think a lot of black people need to learn to love themselves. I know many have internalized negative stereotypes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
As a Hispanic man, I feel people are far too focused on race in this country. People are people. I actually have more white friends than Hispanic ones. When you get to know people on an individual basis, race no longer matters. My brother in law is from Nigeria, and I sometimes forget that he's black now because it simply makes no difference.
I think this is the key right here. People are more than just their race and want to be treated as individuals. However, in practice, a lot of people, blacks and whites, make assumptions based on race and never get to know the individual. This causes people to unfairly judge people they may have lots in common with.

We live in Peachtree City, which is diverse, but only has about an 8-10% black population. I've tried to teach my 6 year old daughter to focus on people as individuals. I am happy that she has good friends of all races and does not have any of the hangups that you commonly see among black people who live in majority white communities. I've never heard her make comments like "I want to be white" or witnessed her self-segregating based on race. I know a lot of black parents go hard core and specifically teach their children that they should love being black. However, I think that makes children, especially in mostly white environments, very self conscious about race matters and thus that strategy backfires in a big way. She knows that all people are different, that the differences don't matter that much and that she should love her own unique qualities.

I know that one day I'm going to have to have the talk with her about race. I'm going to do that on an "as-needed" basis but so far I haven't felt the need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta