Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 11:32 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times

Advertisements

The largest city in Iowa is DeMoine. It’s basically Augusta. The rest of the state is corn. Corn corn corn corn corn. I’ve never seen so much freaking corn in my life. As far as the eye can see .... corn.

Oh ... and wind turbines. Weird.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:46 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camille563 View Post
I moved to Iowa 8 years ago from Atlanta. (The things we do for love). After all these years I still feel like an outsider and unless you're a hawkeye or cyclones fan you're not welcomed into their "click". I'm missing home and the southern hospitality. I miss Publix and Zaxby's!
The roads run both ways. Come on home and bring your lover. The things that they, also, can do for love. <3

Old 11-19-2017, 07:50 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,255 times
Default Living in Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The largest city in Iowa is DeMoine. It’s basically Augusta. The rest of the state is corn. Corn corn corn corn corn. I’ve never seen so much freaking corn in my life. As far as the eye can see .... corn.

Oh ... and wind turbines. Weird.

I have to say... yes, maybe you've been in Iowa & seen the gazillions of acres of corn.. and soybeans.. and wind turbines but, to say that Des Moines is basically Augusta is absolutely so far off of the mark that I nearly fell out of my chair when I read that remark.
Other than the comparable metro population sizes, there's no comparison in metro Augusta to the vibrancy of metro Des Moines nor to the downtown amenities in place in central Des Moines.
And when I have visited Des Moines, I am constantly reminded of how I appreciate a place that has it's traffic signals timed in coordination & which is not an ungodly mess of traffic congestion despite having 80,000 people work in it's downtown core.
I'm wondering how many of you who have commented here in the negative about Des Moines have even been there, much less checked into it's quality of life ratings & the high rankings it constantly rates in city to city comparison surveys.
Seriously now...

Old 11-19-2017, 07:53 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
This is the Atlanta forum. Please keep the thread about Atlanta. City vs city comparisons should be in that forum. Thanks!

Old 11-19-2017, 09:37 AM

164 posts, read 322,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I have to say... yes, maybe you've been in Iowa & seen the gazillions of acres of corn.. and soybeans.. and wind turbines but, to say that Des Moines is basically Augusta is absolutely so far off of the mark that I nearly fell out of my chair when I read that remark.
Other than the comparable metro population sizes, there's no comparison in metro Augusta to the vibrancy of metro Des Moines nor to the downtown amenities in place in central Des Moines.
And when I have visited Des Moines, I am constantly reminded of how I appreciate a place that has it's traffic signals timed in coordination & which is not an ungodly mess of traffic congestion despite having 80,000 people work in it's downtown core.
I'm wondering how many of you who have commented here in the negative about Des Moines have even been there, much less checked into it's quality of life ratings & the high rankings it constantly rates in city to city comparison surveys.
Seriously now...
Des Moines has some good qualities, but the state lacks in growth. I’ve talked to many transplants and they’ve all said the same thing people aren’t as friendly as you might think. After all these years I still don’t feel welcomed. Like i said unless you’re a Hawkeye or cyclones fan. Another problem is property taxes I pay more then double than what I paid in Forsyth County for a smaller house and almost zero property. I have met wonderful people here but the majority of people are rude and you should see the faces people make when I tell them I’m from Atlanta!

And winters are brutal too and the city does a terrible job at plowing.

Atlanta has it’s downfalls just like every other city but it’s a great city with great people that welcome outsiders and make them feel at home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta