Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2018, 10:58 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times

Advertisements

This warm weather is bizarre. Does not bode well for this coming summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 11:00 AM

1,180 posts, read 983,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
This warm weather is bizarre. Does not bode well for this coming summer.
Not necessarily. Unusually warm weather now doesn't not mean hotter weather for the summer.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:17 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times
Default APS Bus transportation stinks.

Blah, blah, blah school safety. Blah, blah, blah get your kids in school on time (or else). Blah, blah, blah..

The week before the break school bus was an hour late in the morning twice. This week, school bus was an hour late in the morning twice. But, I guess enough parents complained that they made sure that the bus was on time this morning. Yay! I get home at 5:45, no kid (you can guess where this is going). Yep, 10 minutes later my middle one comes through the door, bus was an hour late picking up from the school. It’s been this way on and off for 4 years. Of course, we are not only ones, last year a couple of girls made the news when the bus didn’t arrive and they decided to walk to school. They got freaked out when the truant bus tried to pick them up right in front of the school. This is nuts.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:09 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Blah, blah, blah school safety. Blah, blah, blah get your kids in school on time (or else). Blah, blah, blah..

The week before the break school bus was an hour late in the morning twice. This week, school bus was an hour late in the morning twice. But, I guess enough parents complained that they made sure that the bus was on time this morning. Yay! I get home at 5:45, no kid (you can guess where this is going). Yep, 10 minutes later my middle one comes through the door, bus was an hour late picking up from the school. It’s been this way on and off for 4 years. Of course, we are not only ones, last year a couple of girls made the news when the bus didn’t arrive and they decided to walk to school. They got freaked out when the truant bus tried to pick them up right in front of the school. This is nuts.
Which school, jeoff? We have not had this problem in the past with Morningside and Inman buses.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:28 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:

This is bad and totally unacceptable.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:53 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
This is bad and totally unacceptable.
...And that's putting it nicely.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:43 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Which school, jeoff? We have not had this problem in the past with Morningside and Inman buses.
Inman (Candler Park-Lake Claire route). The driver has apparently been chosen to run various double routes at different times—she actually seems like a very competent woman put in a very crappy situation (maybe her reward for being competent and working for APS). In previous years there have been chronic mechanical problems, and substitute drivers that miss stops. When I speak to the lady on the phone in transportation, she feels bad and says “that’s why I send my babies to private school and pay to have them driven to school”. My high schooler always wants to be driven, and my kindergartener never rides the bus, but I am guessing that they prioritize the elementary schoolers, though we occasionally did have problems with elementary school too (4th and 5th grade). My midddle schooler generally is not phased by this, he is just missing his health class—but the soaked backpack and papers is something he could do without. We are working on a carpool. You will see bits and pieces of these sort of things if you have to deal with APS enough—is definitely a mixed bag. (In middle school a teacher intentionally locked one of my kids with a bunch of other boys in a bathroom because they were too noisy and she didn’t know what to do—not brilliant, but no one was hurt, and the school was very apologetic). If you are lucky, you will dodge most of the goofiness, but if you are unlucky, I could see it being miserable (yes, you could say this about any system, but this is on top of normal bureaucracy) Still APS has been a mostly positive experience, and I don’t regret putting my kids here—all things considered, the schools are probably a good fit for my kids.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:41 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Inman (Candler Park-Lake Claire route). The driver has apparently been chosen to run various double routes at different times—she actually seems like a very competent woman put in a very crappy situation (maybe her reward for being competent and working for APS). In previous years there have been chronic mechanical problems, and substitute drivers that miss stops. When I speak to the lady on the phone in transportation, she feels bad and says “that’s why I send my babies to private school and pay to have them driven to school”. My high schooler always wants to be driven, and my kindergartener never rides the bus, but I am guessing that they prioritize the elementary schoolers, though we occasionally did have problems with elementary school too (4th and 5th grade). My midddle schooler generally is not phased by this, he is just missing his health class—but the soaked backpack and papers is something he could do without. We are working on a carpool. You will see bits and pieces of these sort of things if you have to deal with APS enough—is definitely a mixed bag. (In middle school a teacher intentionally locked one of my kids with a bunch of other boys in a bathroom because they were too noisy and she didn’t know what to do—not brilliant, but no one was hurt, and the school was very apologetic). If you are lucky, you will dodge most of the goofiness, but if you are unlucky, I could see it being miserable (yes, you could say this about any system, but this is on top of normal bureaucracy) Still APS has been a mostly positive experience, and I don’t regret putting my kids here—all things considered, the schools are probably a good fit for my kids.
Gosh, I am so sorry you and your children have had these experiences. That is really sad.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:15 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Love this.

I think it would be something that could be done in Atlanta--and would go very well with our city:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UhnuddcAsE

We should build an iconic "Atlanta Skytree" as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Skytree

Old 03-05-2018, 07:55 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
The Atlanta Business Chronicle reports that 2017 was a record year for small business activity in Georgia...

"A record for small business in Georgia" (Atlanta Business Chronicle/11Alive video)
11alive.com | A record year for small businesses in Georgia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta