Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2019, 12:35 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I'm a fan of the Perdido Key area. Much less crowded than Destin, which we appreciate. In fact, we like the area so much that we are moving very close to Perdido Key this year.
Good for you, Ansley! That sounds wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 12:42 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Lol. I haven’t been yet in 2019, but I doubt it’s any different than it was in 2018. PK is definitely building upwards, but it’s still quiet and peaceful. And I’ve always like the fact that you could run to Pensacola or Gulf Shores. It’s not like Pensacola Beach/Gulf Breeze which is an absolute nightmare in the summer. Destin/Miramar/30A is the 9th Ring of Hell in the Summer. OBA too.
Destin is a nightmare in the Summer, no doubt. But once I got off 98 and onto 30A, the feel changed completely. The resorts along 30A have a smaller, more intimate feel and scale than Destin and even Perdido. And Perdido doesn't feel isolated to me at all, but contiguous to Orange Beach and Gulf Shores. All of those communities have embraced high-rise beachfront development to various degrees; 30A has managed to evade this type of development for the most part, thank goodness. Hence my preference for it.

Old 01-02-2019, 01:28 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,512,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Destin is a nightmare in the Summer, no doubt. But once I got off 98 and onto 30A, the feel changed completely. The resorts along 30A have a smaller, more intimate feel and scale than Destin and even Perdido. And Perdido doesn't feel isolated to me at all, but contiguous to Orange Beach and Gulf Shores. All of those communities have embraced high-rise beachfront development to various degrees; 30A has managed to evade this type of development for the most part, thank goodness. Hence my preference for it.
All of this is true, but Perdido is way over shadowed by Pensacola Beach and Orange Beach. While it has the high rises, it doesn’t have the overcrowdedness of the other two. 30A doesn’t have the abundant high rises , but good grief it has the people. Also, I don’t recall any hotels by 30A or PK so that makes a difference too. Pensacola Beach, Destin, and OBA have hotels galore. Crowds of people are outside of the Publix at Watercolor before it opens during the summer. I have never experienced this at the Publix in Perdido Key or even at the one in Gulf Breeze for that matter. Lol.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:08 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
All of this is true, but Perdido is way over shadowed by Pensacola Beach and Orange Beach. While it has the high rises, it doesn’t have the overcrowdedness of the other two. 30A doesn’t have the abundant high rises , but good grief it has the people. Also, I don’t recall any hotels by 30A or PK so that makes a difference too. Pensacola Beach, Destin, and OBA have hotels galore. Crowds of people are outside of the Publix at Watercolor before it opens during the summer. I have never experienced this at the Publix in Perdido Key or even at the one in Gulf Breeze for that matter. Lol.
Yeah, I don't think that grocery retailers have really kept pace with the growth in the 30A corridor.
Funny to think how utterly undeveloped both Perdido and 30A were even 40 years ago.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:13 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Yeah, I don't think that grocery retailers have really kept pace with the growth in the 30A corridor.
Funny to think how utterly undeveloped both Perdido and 30A were even 40 years ago.
It would be nice if they set up a grocery store you could visit by boat.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:53 PM

356 posts, read 316,870 times
Ha, a Saturday at the Watercolor Publix during the summer is intense!

Old 01-03-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Well, I can’t speak for PK history, but I do know that Charles Modica fought like hell to keep Publix out of the area. He eventually lost that battle, but didn’t didn’t loose the war. Publix landed on 395, and Modica Market is on 30A at Seaside. That store and his son are wonderful.

Doing all of this talking is making me want to go down there now! Even if it is winter.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2atl View Post
Ha, a Saturday at the Watercolor Publix during the summer is intense!
The only thing I’ve seen worse was Wal Mart in Destin on the 4th of July. I said never again in my lifetime. It ain’t worth it.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:14 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Default Remembering the dean of the GA Capitol press corps

CNHI Deputy National Editor Jim Zachary remembers late legendary Georgia political reporter Tom Crawford.

Crawford covered state politics under the Gold Dome and at the Georgia state Capitol for more than three decades before passing in July at age 67.

ZACHARY: Remembering the dean of Capitol corps (Union-Recorder/CNHI)

Old 01-07-2019, 01:41 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Default Leading GA Senate Religious Liberty advocate Josh McKoon joins state insurance office

Leading Georgia 'Religious Liberty' advocate and former Georgia state Senator Josh McKoon of Columbus has been hired by incoming Georgia Insurance Commissioner Jim Beck.

After suffering a defeat in the 2018 GOP primary race for Georgia Secretary of State, McKoon was slated to continue lobbying for state-level Religious Liberty laws as the new executive director of the Georgia chapter of the Faith and Freedom Coalition.

But McKoon will hold off on taking over that position for at least a few months while working under GA Insurance Commissioner Beck, who is dealing with the aftermath of a federal subpoena of his state work records after reports that he was holding both state and private-sector jobs at the same time.

Beck hired McKoon because of his reputation as an relentless advocate for ethics and transparency reform in state government during his three terms as a member of the Georgia state Senate.

McKoon is one of multiple former state legislators who will play a high-profile role in Gold Dome politics after experiencing electoral defeats during the 2018 election cycle.

After losing a re-election bid by about 173 votes to Democrat Mary Frances Williams, former state House Religious Liberty advocate and Georgia state Representative Sam Teasley of Marietta will be external affairs director for incoming Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger.

Meanwhile, former Georgia state Representative Buzz Brockway of Lawrenceville was hired as the vice president of the nonpartisan Georgia Center for Opportunity advocacy group.

Georgia ‘religious liberty’ advocate joins state insurance office (Atlanta Journal-Constitution)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta