Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2019, 09:32 AM

2,022 posts, read 1,313,188 times

Advertisements

From the article, "In recent years, study after study has found that living in neighborhoods with abundant green space is linked to positive health outcomes. These include better heart health, stronger cognitive development, and greater overall longevity."
https://www.citylab.com/environment/...search/595060/

However, it also says "Exposure to grass was, surprisingly, associated with higher odds of psychological distress. The wellness-boosting feature, then, appears to be the trees."
I think we all know why that is.

And women live longer with trees around.
https://psmag.com/news/green-environ...o-longer-lives
https://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/doi/10.1289/ehp.1510363
Could it be reduced stress because the men are away, out playing in the trees?

I saw another study where people were put in a lab, abused in the usual way, and then shown pictures including scenes with trees, or given a variety of city and nature smells, or sounds of nature or city sounds. The people who looked at trees had a greater sense of stress reduction.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6625985/

So here's another reason why living in the "City in a Forest" is better.

Last edited by Thulsa; 08-03-2019 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: fixed formatting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 09:57 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
To be fair... almost anywhere you live in America is going to have abundant trees.

I mean, unless you live in a downtown area or in the desert. And if you live downtown Atlanta.... there also aren't many trees around. So I don't know that we're really spectacularly unique in having trees around. I've lived in a lot of places, and I don't recall a lack of trees ever being an issue.

You may as well say, "air is good, I like air, Atlanta has air, therefore I like Atlanta."

Old 08-03-2019, 11:19 AM

11,790 posts, read 7,999,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
To be fair... almost anywhere you live in America is going to have abundant trees.

I mean, unless you live in a downtown area or in the desert. And if you live downtown Atlanta.... there also aren't many trees around. So I don't know that we're really spectacularly unique in having trees around. I've lived in a lot of places, and I don't recall a lack of trees ever being an issue.

You may as well say, "air is good, I like air, Atlanta has air, therefore I like Atlanta."
Atlanta does have a denser tree canopy than most major cities but the real difference in Atlanta's greenery isnt the amount of trees, it's the height of the tree canopy. They're generally taller than most major cities

I will say however that the western areas of the midwest and southwest are nowhere near as tree lush as Atlanta...with the exception of establishments (which typically occur by a source of water).

Old 08-03-2019, 07:19 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

Iowa, SD,ND, and MN has faaaaaaaarrr less trees. You notice it the minute you touch down. When on the interstate you can see far in all directions because of lack of trees and small trees. Atlanta does stand out in this regard

Old 08-03-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Iowa, SD,ND, and MN has faaaaaaaarrr less trees. You notice it the minute you touch down. When on the interstate you can see far in all directions because of lack of trees and small trees. Atlanta does stand out in this regard
Yeah but most of those also don't have major cities aside for MN.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:10 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,981,246 times
I love these trees except when the storms and wind come through.
I look and pray outside our picture window overlooking the forest that is our backyard.
Please g-d please don't let today be the day these towering limbs or pines snap and break !!

Old 08-04-2019, 07:28 AM

1,180 posts, read 983,992 times
Had a work conference at the Westin downtown about a month ago. I've never been during the the day. I was blown away by all the trees even after living here for a while.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:01 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
From the article, "In recent years, study after study has found that living in neighborhoods with abundant green space is linked to positive health outcomes. These include better heart health, stronger cognitive development, and greater overall longevity."
https://www.citylab.com/environment/...search/595060/

However, it also says "Exposure to grass was, surprisingly, associated with higher odds of psychological distress. The wellness-boosting feature, then, appears to be the trees."
I think we all know why that is.

And women live longer with trees around.
https://psmag.com/news/green-environ...o-longer-lives
https://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/doi/10.1289/ehp.1510363
Could it be reduced stress because the men are away, out playing in the trees?

I saw another study where people were put in a lab, abused in the usual way, and then shown pictures including scenes with trees, or given a variety of city and nature smells, or sounds of nature or city sounds. The people who looked at trees had a greater sense of stress reduction.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6625985/

So here's another reason why living in the "City in a Forest" is better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
Had a work conference at the Westin downtown about a month ago. I've never been during the the day. I was blown away by all the trees even after living here for a while.
Amen.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
I love these trees except when the storms and wind come through.
I look and pray outside our picture window overlooking the forest that is our backyard.
Please g-d please don't let today be the day these towering limbs or pines snap and break !!
To be honest, I've had that happen to twice so far.

The first time back in 2014, I was on the phone with AT&T during a windy fall. There was about a 5 minute break in the wind before out of nowhere it just poured in, my window started rattling like it was going to fly into my face and shortly after, I heard something go BANG... sounded like a bomb exploding...then looked up and there indeed were branches coming through my ceiling... a large section of tree came crashing into my bedroom.

The second time was this year and was one of the reasons I had to make a trip back to Atlanta for a short time. After one of the spring storms, a tree came through one of my commercial properties. I had to have the rest of it cut down.

On the first time that happened, my neighbor told me he heard it falling and as soon as he did he ran and hid in the basement - he had come from Alabama and had similar things happen - he initially didn't realize how dangerous those trees could be until he had one crush his house.

--------------------------

On a completely different side note... Does anyone else notice that the trees (even on unowned land) along GA-400 and up into the Alpharetta area seem to be alot more refined than the trees around the rest of the metro?

Old 08-04-2019, 02:33 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,981,246 times
Wow Camero, I can't even imagine that scenario!
During winter I remember standing on our deck and hearing a loud snap, then watching a huge limb fall in our backyard.
That sound coupled with the silence and feel of snow was incredible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta