Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 07:30 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,349 times

Advertisements

Cobb county has lower property taxes than Dekalb or Fulton counties (I believe those are the 3 counties you would be looking in). If you are 62 or older you can be exempted from the school portion of the property tax in Cobb--it's a big discount.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ex=GA635039690

I pulled this listing randomly but if you scroll down you will see the property tax history on the home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 07:35 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse415 View Post
I am not sure yet if I like the Atlanta area. I was there two weeks ago to check out the office, and I liked the actual autumn weather and all the trees and the office itself, but we stayed in Buckhead, where we would neither choose to live nor could afford to live.
The core of Buckhead is our equivalent to the Galleria/Post Oak area.

Quote:
My wife did some exploring, and drove all the way out to Dallas, which she said was "the middle of nowhere." So I know that is too far.
Many of us consider it to be "the middle of nowhere" as well!

Quote:
Question: Are property taxes + insurance in the Atlanta area as low as Realtor.com and Zillow.com suggest? Right now, ours are almost $6000/year for a tiny house (under 1200 square feet) in the suburbs. Anything less than that would be another incentive to consider moving.
Yes, Realtor.com and zillow are accurate. Our property taxes are much lower than what you are used to. We do have State Income Tax here, but it's not bad at all in my opinion.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:52 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,749,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse415 View Post
Thanks for all of the replies.

Probably unusual to hear this, but I am not TOO worried about the commute. Like I mentioned, Houston traffic is horrible (and getting worse), and before this, I lived in San Francisco, where my five-mile commute took 45+ minutes, and any trip across a bridge could be 2+ hours.

I am not sure yet if I like the Atlanta area. I was there two weeks ago to check out the office, and I liked the actual autumn weather and all the trees and the office itself, but we stayed in Buckhead, where we would neither choose to live nor could afford to live. My wife did some exploring, and drove all the way out to Dallas, which she said was "the middle of nowhere." So I know that is too far.

Question: Are property taxes + insurance in the Atlanta area as low as Realtor.com and Zillow.com suggest? Right now, ours are almost $6000/year for a tiny house (under 1200 square feet) in the suburbs. Anything less than that would be another incentive to consider moving.

Your taxes will probably be less than a $1000 here annually for that size house

Old 11-25-2017, 08:07 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
The core of Buckhead is our equivalent to the Galleria/Post Oak area.

Many of us consider it to be "the middle of nowhere" as well!

Yes, Realtor.com and zillow are accurate. Our property taxes are much lower than what you are used to. We do have State Income Tax here, but it's not bad at all in my opinion.
Yes, property taxes are lower. Sales taxes are similar. Personal income tax, however, is 6% starting at $10,000.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:37 AM

333 posts, read 387,805 times
If you want a monthly payment of around $1100, I'm afraid that $160K may be a bit aggressive, especially on a townhome or condo. You'll have to add in at least $100 (often more) per month in HOA dues on a condo or townhouse, so the purchase price will likely have to come down a bit. Also be prepared to compete with a number of investors who shop that price point in the highly desirable areas of Metro Atlanta.

Old 11-26-2017, 05:07 AM

You will like Atlanta more than Houston. As a family man you do not have to worry about natural disasters in Atlanta such as MAJOR hurricanes etc. We do get them but they are a cat 1 by the time they get here. You also do not have to worry about MAJOR flooding every other year here. We do have flooding in low lying areas but not the flooding you are used to In Houston.

We also do not have any toll roads. Our roads are free (We do have a few hot lanes)

It's not as humid here

Property and city taxes are much lower here

More stuff to do here

Restaurants and shopping are about equal

With our airport being the Delta hub you are 2 hours away flight from 80% of the US to the Carribeans, TX, Chicago, NYC, Bermuda, etc.

The city is more pretty with trees everywhere and rolling hills.

Etc

Old 11-26-2017, 07:09 AM

11,777 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickeledrick View Post
OP these people are exaggerating and they also seem to have forgotten that you don’t have kids.

You can find a nice safe area in that price range within 45 minutes from perimeter center in Norcross, Duluth, Marrieta, Tucker, Scottsdale, Doraville, Embry Hills and Mableton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Exactly. Add Chamblee to the list as well. There are also older but still nice condos & townhouses spread throughout these areas that could check most of your boxes. Unfortunately, you've been given some bad advice by some posting here.
Having or not having kids has nothing to do with it, he has a price range in mind, and you're not getting into a (safe) house in Doraville, Chamblee, or Tucker for $160k... Tucker's homes are actually pretty up there - starting at around $250k for something decent and I don't mean new, I mean something from likely the 80's.

Duluth you would need a town home and you would have HOA fee's. Marietta you "may" beable to pull off something once again from the 80's for about $175kish .. otherwise, townhome.

To get a decent "house" anywhere within 20 minutes of I-285 you're going to be paying between $200 and $250k...and if you're in North Fulton multiply that by two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
You will like Atlanta more than Houston. As a family man you do not have to worry about natural disasters in Atlanta such as MAJOR hurricanes etc. We do get them but they are a cat 1 by the time they get here. You also do not have to worry about MAJOR flooding every other year here. We do have flooding in low lying areas but not the flooding you are used to In Houston.

We also do not have any toll roads. Our roads are free (We do have a few hot lanes)

It's not as humid here

Property and city taxes are much lower here

More stuff to do here

Restaurants and shopping are about equal

With our airport being the Delta hub you are 2 hours away flight from 80% of the US to the Carribeans, TX, Chicago, NYC, Bermuda, etc.

The city is more pretty with trees everywhere and rolling hills.

Etc
For the record, all of Houston's tollroads are optional, thus - you don't have to take them, there are several free alternative freeways you can take as well. Meaning Atlanta and Houston are actually equal in that category...The Toll Roads there are Auxillary.

I can't speak for the humidity.. I personally think Atlanta and Houston are equally as humid, or if there's any difference, its fractional.

Property tax / State Tax is true.

More stuff to do here? ... Sorry but I disagree.. I'd say they're about equal in this category as well.

Natural Disasters... Atlanta is right in the middle of Tornado Alley, we do get disasters, we also get flooding during freak flash flood thunder showers (happened this summer in fact) - We just dont get completely submerged as was the freak Hurricane experience Irma exposed Houston to and by Freak I mean.. ..when else has something of that magnitude ever happened to Houston? Has a higher chance of happening than it does in Atlanta.. yeah I agree - its near the Gulf - but its not exactly like that sort of thing happens every Tuesday.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 11-26-2017 at 07:19 AM..

Old 11-26-2017, 07:44 AM

They can go up in the price of their home since they will not have to pay the high annual taxes anynore

Old 11-26-2017, 09:06 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
They can go up in the price of their home since they will not have to pay the high annual taxes anynore
But there are income taxes. Last I checked, the cost of living in Atlanta was about 10% higher than in Houston. Comparable homes were more expensive in Atlanta, but prices have risen in both places so that may no longer be true (or it may be more so). But there is a broad range of neighborhoods and prices, so you have lots of options.

If the OP is willing to commute, he should find homes acceptable to him.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:06 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Having or not having kids has nothing to do with it, he has a price range in mind, and you're not getting into a (safe) house in Doraville, Chamblee, or Tucker for $160k... Tucker's homes are actually pretty up there - starting at around $250k for something decent and I don't mean new, I mean something from likely the 80's.
I actually live in this area and have for years, you don't. You clearly don't know what you are talking about here. Again, this is inaccurate advice. And the homes would be more like from the 60's and 70's, not the 80's. You should really stick to what you actually know when doling out advice for newcomers.

Quote:
I can't speak for the humidity.. I personally think Atlanta and Houston are equally as humid, or if there's any difference, its fractional.
Again, you are guessing here - and you would be very wrong.

Quote:
Natural Disasters... Atlanta is right in the middle of Tornado Alley
No, we aren't - not by a long shot: https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/file/1535

Quote:
we also get flooding during freak flash flood thunder showers (happened this summer in fact) - We just dont get completely submerged as was the freak Hurricane experience Irma exposed Houston to and by Freak I mean.. ..when else has something of that magnitude ever happened to Houston?
Large portions of Houston are built on flood plains and bayou adjacent areas that should have never been developed. There have been several big rain events over the past few years (including several this year prior to Harvey) that have caused widespread flooding, including submerged freeways. That is extremely uncommon here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta