Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 04:30 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,708,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
You guess correctly. Sorry for the confusion.
Oh ok. I thought, it was another smaller shopping center like Ansley Mall etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 04:53 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,708,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes, the demographics are definitely there for both Northlake and North DeKalb.

1. Northlake should re-make itself a la Cumberland Mall and a bit of Perimeter Mall. Anything that is more "mall-esque" should be moved from North DeKalb to Northlake.

2. North DeKalb should be re-developed into urban-like lifestyle center--with tenants that serve daily/everyday life (Costco, Fitness, Fresh Market/Sprouts, etc.)
For North Dekalb, Sprouts just opened up the road at N.Decatur Rd so that would be out. It would be a nice location for another Fresh Market that is closer to the east side. Too close for another Whole Foods or 365 Store.

Hopefully, the Costco will get the go ahead in a few months.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:31 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
For North Dekalb, Sprouts just opened up the road at N.Decatur Rd so that would be out. It would be a nice location for another Fresh Market that is closer to the east side. Too close for another Whole Foods or 365 Store.

Hopefully, the Costco will get the go ahead in a few months.

A Fresh Market would be perfect then.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i went in north point mall about a week ago at closing time (9 PM, they hadn't extended the hours), and well:

https://www.facebook.com/10001013848...4323931582218/

This should not be happening! Omg. Holy Commercial Over-building in North Fulton!

This situation could've (should've) totally been prevented:

//www.city-data.com/forum/50425223-post53.html

Old 12-17-2017, 09:22 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,871,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Man, that place looks desolate. Was it because of the hour?
well, it was after closing so that's a big part of it. but back just 5 or 6 years ago they would be open till 10 during the holidays and had a hard time pushing everyone out by closing.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
well, it was after closing so that's a big part of it. but back just 5 or 6 years ago they would be open till 10 during the holidays and had a hard time pushing everyone out by closing.
Avalon.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:37 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,364,404 times
Many years ago, Discovery Mall was my favorite. I hardly go to malls nowadays though. The only reason I have gone is a gift card I got for a retail store and I like buying my socks and underwear at JCPenny. I guess I am not materialistic.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:23 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,360,612 times
Default Best things at Northlake!

Two great things about Northlake Mall.

1. Huge full sized, full line J.C. Penny's including appliances and furniture.

2, Sear's store has a pretty sizable Lands End selection.

Yes I do like family friendly department stores. By the way the Macy's needs to up its game considering the VERY POPULAR North Dekalb store has been closed with their full line offerings and furniture department. They probably could draw those former customers ONE more exit up 285. It would not have to be a "Flagship" high design location like Lenox Square, just with nicer middle class offerings like Mall of Georgia or North Point with a stellar children's department including shoes. That is what would draw ME to shop there and thousands of other families with school aged children.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:42 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,489,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Two great things about Northlake Mall.

1. Huge full sized, full line J.C. Penny's including appliances and furniture.

2, Sear's store has a pretty sizable Lands End selection.

Yes I do like family friendly department stores. By the way the Macy's needs to up its game considering the VERY POPULAR North Dekalb store has been closed with their full line offerings and furniture department. They probably could draw those former customers ONE more exit up 285. It would not have to be a "Flagship" high design location like Lenox Square, just with nicer middle class offerings like Mall of Georgia or North Point with a stellar children's department including shoes. That is what would draw ME to shop there and thousands of other families with school aged children.
That is a great point that a department store chain like Macy's could draw customers like you, former customers of a location like North DeKalb Mall and thousands of other families with school-aged children to a remaining location like Northlake Mall by upgrading its middle-class offerings.

The problem is that a department store chain like Macy's currently does not seem to be in the financial position to execute significant upgrades to many of its remaining store locations.

Macy's is not as bad off as Sears or JCPenny's currently seem to be financially (Sears is basically on life support and is being kept alive by a financial 'donor' of sorts who does not want to see a great American retail brand become extinct), but Macy's is still under an increasing amount of significant financial stress in the current retail environment where online sales are increasingly dominant and where traditional enclosed regional shopping malls are in significant decline.

While Macy's may not necessarily be on life support and near their end like Sears, a Macy's store location like the one at Northlake Mall probably has more potential to be closed than upgraded in the current increasingly challenging retail environment for bricks-and-mortar retail, especially malls.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:51 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,353,822 times
The primary destination malls in Atlanta continue to be Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza, with high end flagship stores and a large selection of upscale retailers. Historically attracting shoppers and visitors from neighboring states, such as the Carolinas and Alabama, as well as across Georgia. And in recent years, Mall of Georgia has attracted visitors from neighboring Upstate South Carolina, as it is a shorter drive and avoids much of the traffic and congestion of metro Atlanta. Mall of Georgia has a nice large Macy's, as well as Belk, Dillard's, JCPenney, and Von Maur, as well as outdoor shops, restaurants, and movie theaters.

Lenox has always been home to the large, flagship Richs-Macy's store, and also includes Bloomingdale's and Neiman Marcus. And Phipps features Nordstrom and Saks Fifth Avenue, although a flagship Belk will soon close to make way for an upscale hotel and redevelopment.

Most of the Macy's in Atlanta remain strong performers as an outgrowth of their popular heritage as the hometown Rich's department store, and most have escaped closure. And Belk has many stores across Georgia, partially due to the acquisition of Parisian. It remains unclear if they will relocate an upscale flagship store in the Atlanta area following the Phipps closure.

And Perimeter remains a strong suburban mall, with Macy's, Nordstrom, Dillard's and Von Maur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta