Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 08:26 AM

216 posts, read 298,412 times

Advertisements

Some of you guys are so dramatic! Crap happens, that's life! It is how we handle these things when the chips are down that really matters. There certainly could have been better communication throughout the outage, but beyond that I truly don't know what more some of you expect in unforeseen events. Now we are questioning the quality of the city and whether businesses should or shouldn't locate here over a singular/isolated incident at an massive airport that see's no issues 99% of the time? Geez........and then there's this inconvenient truth happening a few years ago. I guess no tourist or businesses are flocking to Rome anymore.....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/today...iers/70934062/

Last edited by Beretta; 12-18-2017 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Someone brought up Amazon in this thread. It's absolutely things like this that makes Amazon question whether they should move here or not. This should NOT happen to a 1st world city major international airport in 2017. It's not even like we had inclement whether like ice or severe thunderstorms.
I totally disagree, if that was the case, Atlanta would not be behind Houston and NYC for corporate headquarters. One outlier event can not summed up 37 years of efficient service (except weather related events) since the airport open in 1980.

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicTao View Post
So MARTA and the Atlanta Aircontrol Tower never lost power, but somehow the entire rest of the airport did? I realize no one was hurt, and am thankful for that, but this is a huge mess up that can't just be 'swept under the rug.' This could've been a lot worse than the current logistical nightmare. No one at the airport had any information or direction on what to do. The airport was lucky the vast majority of the passengers were patient and there was no pandemonium.
From the reports, it was only the Airport Terminals that were powered off the 120KvW feed (Dual Feeds) but the fire was in the A/B switching room. (A really bad single point of failure).

Marta feeds its station/rails at the airport independently off a different feed.

ATL/Tower would have backup generators that would power the entire tower, Atlanta Airside Operation would also have backup generators that could power most of the Airside, (Runway Light, ILS, Etc. ) Also they were probably not on the powerline that feeds the terminals. The FBO, UPS/FedEx FireHouses, Etc would feed off the power lines that feed road that goes past them. Not connected to Atlanta Terminal Power.

Last edited by Beretta; 12-18-2017 at 12:31 PM..

Old 12-18-2017, 08:30 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
I think most people comments show that the don't travel often and experience other facilities. ATL is still the model for the number of flights and people it moves efficiently. I'm glad this happen and the airport will deal with it and prevent it from occurring again. I'm most grateful is was not closer to Christmas.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:35 AM

216 posts, read 298,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I think most people comments show that the don't travel often and experience other facilities. ATL is still the model for the number of flights and people it moves efficiently. I'm glad this happen and the airport will deal with it and prevent it from occurring again. I'm most grateful is was not closer to Christmas.
Exactly!

Its not the most glamorous airport in the world, but for its size it's operations is nothing short of amazing!

Old 12-18-2017, 08:44 AM

821 posts, read 725,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sualpine View Post
Agreed. Amazon probably wasn't going to choose Atlanta anyway, but now I doubt we're even in top 10 after this.
Lol

Old 12-18-2017, 08:48 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Agreed. Amazon probably wasn't going to choose Atlanta anyway, but now I doubt we're even in top 10 after this.
Nothing but delusional, wishful thinking on your part.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:55 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Who are the "brains" behind the airport operations? Who ensures that technology is up to date and ready for the future?

Old 12-18-2017, 09:08 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Backup generators are not going to keep an entire Airport operating if all the power sources are down, the only thing they're really good for is keeping priority systems online... but what baffles me is why an airport literally the size of a suburb is only being fed by one feed into the main grid.. Surely there should have been atleast another backup route to the main grid should something like this happen.. There's no excuse, something like this should not have happened to an airport the size of Hartsfield Jackson unless some planned attack occurred.
Exactly. Even some large computer data centers receive their power from different power sources, from different directions, so that a singular event can't take out the entire facility.

There are plenty of backup systems that could keep that airport running at decent capacity. You may not be able to run HVAC, restaurants might not be able to cook, and the train could go down, but you should at least be able to keep lights on, elevators running, and computers going. If a large concert, which takes a boatload of power to run, can be run exclusively off generators, so can the basic systems of any building.

The airport should have a backup generator every few hundred feet on every concourse to run essential systems.

But beyond even that...why was it pitch black? Why was there no emergency lighting? Did they seriously wire all of their emergency lighting to backup power instead of having any battery units?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You seem to have issues with just about every aspect of life here.
He makes a very valid point. ITP alone, there are four separate counties. Within a few miles of the perimeter, we gain several more. It's nearly impossible to get anything major accomplished when every area has its own rules, must come up with its own taxes, etc. It is possible to live somewhere, love it, but point out its very obvious shortcomings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
The Atlanta Airspace Never shutdown. (FAA Atlanta Approach and Atlanta Center are not located at the AIrport.) Atlanta Tower Never lots power.
Yep...it's down between Peachtree City and Senoia. And I guarantee you that place has several redundant backup power systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoicTao View Post
So MARTA and the Atlanta Aircontrol Tower never lost power, but somehow the entire rest of the airport did?
MARTA's power is likely coming from a different source. Well, obviously it is. The tower absolutely has its own generator to keep it running. Probably this building.

Quote:
I highly, highly doubt that a company the size of Amazon is going to completely drop a city they are likely highly considering for a permanent new headquarters with tens of thousands of jobs, over a single power outage.

And, who's this "we"? You don't live here.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:16 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
Quote:
I am totally fine about Amazon going somewhere else. Atlanta really doesnt need Amazon to be great. Its a shame so many have this low self esteem that they fell Atlanta needs to be the next New York City. Amazon can kick rocks. Atlanta is good without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta