Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2010, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 3,729 times

Advertisements

I'll be in Atlanta this summer for my first visit since I was a kid. I'm excited to see this city that you hear so many good things about! For those of you who know Atlanta, what would you do if you had 7-8 hours to roam around? (I'll be attending an event at the Georgia Dome in the evening, but have the day to myself.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 02:22 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,185 times
OK, so what do you like to do? Are you a shopper? A hiker? A cyclist? A jogger? I can make recommendations based off the things you like to do.

Me, I'm a runner. So, when I find myself in a new city with some time on my hands I will get on MapMyRun.com and find a nice running route to give myself a tour.

What kinds of foods do you like? I can recommend some places.

Off the top of my head I'd say get on MARTA and go east. Get off at the Inman Park station and walk down to Little Five Points. Grab something to eat at Brewhouse Cafe (because it's a got a great patio for people watching). Check out the funky shops, get yourself a custom-made t-shirt (be prepared to spend some money on that, though). Then get back on MARTA and go one of the Midtown stations and just roam around there.

But if you're a runner and want to do a running tour, give me a distance you wouldn't mind running (with walk breaks since you might want to stop and check something out) and I will send you a route.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:04 AM

128 posts, read 215,236 times
^^^^^ Great suggestion.

Also, you might wanna roam a bit around downtown as well. There are alot of great things to see and do downtown. For starters, try out centennial olympic park....its one of the larger parks in Atlanta and houses the CNN center, the GA Aquarium, and the New World of Coke.

Another area for great shopping/eating is the Old Decatur Town Sq. Take the MARTA rail blue line east ward to Decatur station and just walk out. Lots to do.

Oh, and no trip to Atl is complete without a trip in buckhead! Just take Yellow Rail Line northward to Arts Center and catch the bus no. 110. (dont worry theyre million dollar brand new clean buses.)

The 110 will ride along peachtree up to Lenox Mall, and you will see the Beverly hills of the south as you ride. You may wanna check out the cheesecake factory, and the Atl history museum.

When youre done with your event, why dont you check out the Landmark Cafe in downtown on the corner of Luckie st NW and Forsyth st NW? Its open 24hrs and the food is awesome!

Have fun in atlanta! You may end up doing what most visitors do......love Atl so much and plum move here and buy a Mc-Mansion on the northside lol....

Old 06-01-2010, 07:16 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
Default 8 hours in Atlanta??? What would I do????

Hey skippy, if you only have 8 hours to kill I would opt for the women. Call me shallow (I do, deep as a saucer, thoughtful as anyone's ex) but, if I only had 8 hours to "live" in Atlanta, I think I would squarely set my sights on the first non-credit-card-eating-bimbo I could find. Not easy mind you as they tend to be able to smell money from a distance an empty pocket from a glance. Amazing.

Now, if you can sift through all that, try some of the local haunts. Try the "Alan Alda" sensitivity approach. You know the one, how you really wanted kids (not) with your last girlfriend but, how she broke your heart when you came home and found her with her K.D. Lang and Melissa Ethridge collection out.....yikes....tell her she was from Decatur...who knew?

Try to ply her with some top shelf booze for the first two, drop to well drinks afterwards. Hey, you have to play the odds. If all goes well, her roomates will be out and a good ol' Atlanta roll in the Spring will do both of you well.

Don't be a chick about it and comment on her Laura Ashley tie-back curtains (unless of course she has them in a dining room...tacky tacky tacky)....

Juuuuust be a gentleman if only....for awhile...

Hey, just trying to help....know it's a longshot like my unanswered letters to Penthouse but, it's worth a shot.

Sincerely,

Man Dingo
Cube 3-D
Lanta, Ga. 30303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwoodrow4 View Post
I'll be in Atlanta this summer for my first visit since I was a kid. I'm excited to see this city that you hear so many good things about! For those of you who know Atlanta, what would you do if you had 7-8 hours to roam around? (I'll be attending an event at the Georgia Dome in the evening, but have the day to myself.)

Old 06-02-2010, 07:53 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,068 times
I would head for the Westin Peachtree in Downtown and take the elevator up to the top (don't know if the glass elevator has been reopened yet after the tornado damage but read it's supposed to start again some time this summer. If not you'll have to take the indoor elevator with no view.)

Once at the top I would explore the View which is part of a revolving bar and restaurant The Sundial from which you can get dramatic views of the entire Metro Atlanta area.

Very much worth the $5 fee when I last visited.

http://www.sundialrestaurant.com/#

I would then head for Atlantic Station Atlantic Station - Life Happens here.(you could take the train from Peachtree Station right below you to Arts Center Station and then the shuttle bus if you don't want to or can't make the drive) and, If the weather's nice, park myself at an outdoor patio seat at one of it's lounge/restaurants for a few drinks or dining and some fun people watching. You could also shop there if you wish.

If you don't stay too long you'll still have time to head for Lennox Mall for more shopping and people watching ( this is more than just your typical mall IMO you may see a celebrity there and surely will see some interesting people). You could just take the shuttle back to the Arts Center Station and then catch the train up to the Lennox Station from which the Mall is a very short walk) or if driving you could just head straight North on Peachtree Street/Road checking out Buckhead as you go until you reach the Mall. Make sure you take Peachtree Road and not one of the other Peachtree's (like West Peachtree Street) of which there are several.

Last edited by Galounger; 06-02-2010 at 08:18 AM..

Old 06-02-2010, 08:04 AM

163 posts, read 138,174 times
Personally, I would visit the Lenox area, and walk around Midtown. But I'm one of those guys who loves to shop.

Also, I would walk around Tech's campus, since I don't get to often, and don't presently live near Atlanta. Huge fan here! Make sure you go in the Edge Center, which is on the north side of Bobby Dodd Stadium.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,729 times
Great suggestions, thank you. The big park and tower sound perfect since i"m not much of a shopper (or a runner, though I appreciate the thought!) Sounds like MARTA is reliable. Hopefully it will get me to and from the airport with little trouble since I don't want to rent a car or take cabs. And hopefully I can get a nice hotel near the Georgia Dome and walk right up to it for the concert. ??? Let me know if any of those things aren't true. This will be fun, and I hope it's REALLY hot and humid, because i get none of that here in the Bay Area.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:21 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwoodrow4 View Post
hopefully I can get a nice hotel near the Georgia Dome and walk right up to it for the concert.

Try The Glenn Hotel. It's only a few blocks from the Dome. Right next to CNN Center and Centennial Park. Five minute walk to the dome. They have a rooftop bar with really nice views.

Unique Atlanta Lodging: A Boutique Atlanta Hotel in the Heart of Luckie Marietta District

Old 06-02-2010, 05:42 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,185 times
Hey, I think there's no access to the Sundial restaurant right now in the Westin. I went with friends after a night out and it was closed for renovation (not associated with the tornado damage) so call ahead. This was about 6 months ago so it might be open now.

And while you're not a runner, still get on MARTA and head east and get off at the Inman Park station to check out Little 5. Then get back on, head further east, and get off in downtown Decatur. Grab a Belgian ale at The Brick Store pub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta