U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2006, 07:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,436 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone,
My family and I have lived in south Forsyth County for 13 years and have seen it go from a beautiful, rural, friendly yet accessible to ATL place to live, to a gridlocked, lack-of-community, over-developed place to live. While the schools are top-rated, they are in our opinion much too large and much emphasis is focused on managing the ever-expanding crowds. These changes do not affect some people, but since we both grew up in small towns, we are unhappy with the changes. My husband and I have begun thinking about moving our family to the south side of metro ATL and would like to find an area with a historical, true small town community feel. We are thinking of buying an older home this time instead of in a subdivision, where we have been for the past 13 years. Schools, particularly the size of high schools, and activities that foster community spirit are important for us and our two teen children. We'd also like more diversity, racially and socio-economically. Potential appreciation of our home investment would be a plus. Any suggestions, Southsiders? Thanks, Small Town Looker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 07:47 PM

85 posts, read 470,101 times
Actually that is pretty tough. Have you traveled on the southside? Because I can tell you the growth and traffic is there as well. I don't know how you can escape it frankly.

Why not move to an area that is not exploding in growth as much as Atlanta is? Try Greenville, SC or something like that. The growth is more mangeable and you can get a small town feel if you want that more easily.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:50 PM

129 posts, read 596,450 times
agree, we live in McDonough, and although it still has some charm, and small town feel in the square. That is about it.. The growth is crazy and the Traffic is bad .. NO QUALITY GROWTH.. just build where ever they can!... We have seen some good and VERY BAD changes here in the past 5 years... The schools are not that good compared to other counties in the state EX:fayette or even parts of cobb are ALOT better.. Union Grove has a pretty good rep, but other than that not very good.. We are looking to move from here... There are foreclosers everywhere you turn.. which I am sure is everywhere these days.. but like I said in the past 5 years are neighborhood as considerably changed for the worse..
Maybe check in to Senioa in coweta/fayette counties.. but they too are having a boom....

Old 12-16-2006, 04:34 PM

465 posts, read 2,263,347 times
why the southside? Why not just stay north and go east or west? In case you don't realize, there is no escaping traffic here unless you live down the street from where you work and go to school, or you have a reversed commute.

Old 12-17-2006, 01:00 AM

385 posts, read 752,120 times
I think Peachtree City is nice...growth has occurred, but it is somewhat more under control there....and if you must take any interstate in ATL....85 from the SW is the best one.

Old 12-17-2006, 02:56 PM

426 posts, read 2,153,924 times
I would suggest a move to Fayetteville. They have some beatiful older homes and the traffic in Fayettville itself is still reasonable. I like going there form time to time because it really does feel like its no where near Atlanta. Yet, the traffic on I-85 going into the city can be quite bad at times. Where do you work. I'm sure that would help in giving advice on where you guys should move to.

Old 12-17-2006, 08:35 PM

722 posts, read 3,009,646 times
Newnan has a quaint downtown and is more diverse ethnically and socioeconomically

Old 12-23-2006, 08:01 PM

63 posts, read 542,144 times
I live in Newnan, I shop in Peachtree City and attend Church in Fayetteville. Traffic is everywhere. There is a major building boom going on here in Newnan and I see no end in sight. New construction is shabby and of poor quality. You may have to go quite a ways from ATL to find what you are looking for. Good Luck!

Old 06-02-2010, 06:18 PM

128 posts, read 169,938 times
Dont move. The southside is just more of the same which you are leaving behind in N. metro. And if you include schools, the schools in North Metro are ALOT better than schools on the South end. Clayton Co. just gots credentials restored last year behind bickering on the school board. If anywhere on the south metro, Id opt for Fayetteville (minus all the racists lol). Nice area. Great shopping.

Beyond that, Id reconsider a move to like, perhaps LaGrange or Columbus Ga or maybe even Asheville, NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or