Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 06:33 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Besides a few ridiculous things like the NRA thing, Cagle has seemed like he could be generally following in the Deal footsteps.
Did you hear him boasting about his record as a hardcore religious conservative in the debate B2R linked to, and promising more of the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 06:54 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Did you hear him boasting about his record as a hardcore religious conservative in the debate B2R linked to, and promising more of the same?
No I didn't, because I have no interest in watching a bunch of disgusting white politicians dog-whistle and rant about immigrants to other, racist, misinformed (and deliberately misinformed) white people, with an average age of 60.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:12 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
No I didn't, because I have no interest in watching a bunch of disgusting white politicians dog-whistle and rant about immigrants to other, racist, misinformed (and deliberately misinformed) white people, with an average age of 60.
Well, apparently that's what we'll be getting if Cagle wins. It seems to be a cornerstone of his campaign.

As you know he made a special point of this in the run-up to the Amazon visit, and even took to the national airwaves vowing to punish any business that dared to challenge the so-called religious liberty bills or the NRA. A number of experts in corporate relocation believe he crippled Atlanta's prospects.

Quote:
State officials and corporate recruiters hope the high-stakes meetings helped rehabilitate Georgia’s bid for the project after two legislative decisions that observers say could have crippled Atlanta’s shot at the $5 billion campus. Both were orchestrated by Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle, a GOP front-runner for governor, and timed to energize conservatives ahead of May’s primary

The first was a Georgia Senate vote to approve a measure that would allow adoption agencies to refuse to place children with same-sex couples. Though the measure stalled in the Georgia House, it drew intense criticism from civil rights groups and other opponents who called it discriminatory.

The second was Cagle’s decision to make good on his vow to “kill” a lucrative tax break that would benefit Delta Air Lines after the carrier ended a discount program for National Rifle Association members. The move infuriated business boosters. Supporters said it was meant to send a message to a corporate giant trying to influence policy.

Major corporations have joined civil rights groups to fight fiercely against legislation they view as discriminatory, fearful so-called “religious liberty” bills could damage their ability to recruit top talent. Indiana and North Carolina suffered numerous business losses, from conventions to business expansions, in the wake of passing divisive social issue legislation that each state later repealed.

More....Amazon visit gave Georgia chance to get past rocky legislative session

Old 04-04-2018, 07:21 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
11Alive sent a questionnaire to each of the 2018 Georgia gubernatorial candidates (in both the Republican and Democratic primaries) to fill out in advance of the primary elections on May 22nd. 11Alive plans to publish the results of each questionnaire as they receive them from the gubernatorial candidates.

The first candidate to answer a questionnaire was Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp who currently appears to be in a distant second place in the polling amongst the candidates in the GOP gubernatorial primary field.

Kemp is running a rural/exurban-oriented gubernatorial campaign with hot-button issues such as illegal immigration and abortion, issues that are likely to loom even larger moving forward, particularly if the GOP gubernatorial primary moves to a runoff and particularly if Kemp qualifies to be one of the participants in the runoff.

"Georgia Votes 2018: Three Questions for Brian Kemp, GOP candidate for governor... Kemp is one of seven Republicans seeking the GOP gubernatorial nomination" (11 Alive WXIA-TV Atlanta, 13 WMAZ-TV Macon)
13wmaz.com | Georgia Votes 2018: Three Questions for Brian Kemp, GOP candidate for governor

Old 04-04-2018, 07:37 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
For those who might have missed it, there was a gubernatorial primary debate held this past Saturday.

The debate/forum was moderated by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's junior political writer Greg Bluestein, included 7 Republican gubernatorial candidates and was hosted by the Georgia 9th Congressional District Republican Party. The forum was held at The Venue at Friendship Springs in Flowery Branch in Hall County.

Here is the link to the video of that gubernatorial GOP primary debate (scroll down from the top of the page for video)...
Home
Thanks for the link B2R, I've been meaning to catch this

But I feel dumber for watching that. The pandering so many of them do is so absurd it almost seems like an SNL skit. People falling for this truly do not think for themselves.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:57 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post

But I feel dumber for watching that. The pandering so many of them do is so absurd it almost seems like an SNL skit. People falling for this truly do not think for themselves.
Yes, sad to see that this still drives people in our country in 2018

Old 04-04-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Multiple threads are fine. It's just that this one has a title that gives a boost to one particular candidate every time somebody posts, no matter what they say.
I would also like to see a thread like this have a broader title like "Metro Atlanta and the Governor's Race" or somewhere along those lines.

Before starting this thread, I had actually started a thread (I think late last year) with a broader title about the governor's race but it was moved to the Georgia forum.

Another poster started a thread on the Democratic side of the Governor's race but abandoned it because they thought that there was not enough interest.

But I would like to see (and do actively encourage) people to post news about the entire statewide gubernatorial cycle from both the Republican and Democratic primaries down to even the down-ticket races (Lt. Governor's races, Secretary of State races, etc, etc)... It's all important and pertinent to what will be an important gubernatorial electoral cycle.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:33 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,649 times
Quote:
As much as it pains me to say it, Cagle is still the moderate, sensible one among the Republicans. And we all know which party wins state races.

Don't get me wrong, I like Evans a lot better, but neither Democrat unfortunately really has a chance.

Though it's still important to run and spend and give it their all. Because there's a race every 4 years, and Georgia is only changing. Dems need to build up that base.

Georgia is the only state where people just give up on Democrats, which is weird because demographically and with progressives in metro Atlanta, this could easily be a purple state. Did Democrats give up in Ruby red Alabama senate race? No, and Doug Jones is senator. Did Democrats give up in the PA18 district that voted +20 for Trump? No, and now we have congressman Conor Lamb. There are Democratic challengers in the reddest districts in America, and people line up to help them....but here in Georgia, there's no excitement for the Democratic candidates and everyone is just ready to pass the baton to Cagle. How about we fight to keep that Bible thumping, discrimation endorsing, business and industry destroying idiot out of the Governor's mansion?

We need to appeal to people in the suburbs and remind them that having a governor that destroys the business of Atlanta, they will suffer. Religious liberty bills will kill the economy, we can kiss our "Hollywood of the South" label goodbye and say sayonara to Amazon and any other major company that might relocate here.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well, apparently that's what we'll be getting if Cagle wins. It seems to be a cornerstone of his campaign.

As you know he made a special point of this in the run-up to the Amazon visit, and even took to the national airwaves vowing to punish any business that dared to challenge the so-called religious liberty bills or the NRA. A number of experts in corporate relocation believe he crippled Atlanta's prospects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Yes, sad to see that this still drives people in our country in 2018
Yeah... I know that the tenor of a GOP primary debate like that is probably extremely dispiriting for moderate and progressive onlookers.

But everyone probably also should keep in mind that the debate was taking place in front of a GOP primary audience in Georgia's 9th Congressional District, a district which is widely known and recognized as one of the absolute most conservative congressional districts in the entire U.S.

...So the type of talk and rhetoric that was coming from those gubernatorial candidates was actually considered by many in that part of the state to not be conservative enough or hard-line enough.

For the most part, a GOP primary crowd in the notably conservative Georgia 9th Congressional District wants to hear uncompromisingly conservative rhetoric and they want to hear that Republican candidates are going to give moderates and progressives the full-on political/social/cultural war that many deep social and cultural conservatives have always wanted.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:16 AM

And speaking of Casey Cagle...

Courtesy of the state political observers over at the Georgia political website GeorgiaPol.com, Cagle has a new television ad out for his gubernatorial primary campaign.

The ad is part of a massive $4.5 million media buy and will air on broadcast, cable and satellite TV throughout the state of Georgia in the Atlanta, Albany, Augusta, Chattanooga, Columbus, Jacksonville, Macon, Savannah, and Tallahassee media markets.

Quote:
The ad is entitled “Difference” and touts “Cagle’s partnership with Gov. Deal which has led to unprecedented economic growth for Georgia. This includes adding 40,000 new businesses and growing 600,000 jobs while cutting income taxes by $5.7 billion and earning the distinction of being the best state in the nation for business.”
"Cagle Releases New TV Ad for Gubernatorial Campaign" (GeorgiaPol.com)
https://www.georgiapol.com/2018/04/0...rial-campaign/

The release of this ad demonstrates two key things:

1) The ad reaffirms Cagle's status as the frontrunner in the gubernatorial race (across both the Republican and Democratic primary fields) and actively demonstrates the significant financial advantage that he has over any other candidate (Republican and/or Democrat) in the race...

2) The touting of his partnership with Georgia Governor Nathan Deal and the massive amount of economic growth that the state is reported to have experienced during Deal's two terms as governor indicates that Cagle (should he win the GOP gubernatorial primary race as is currently expected) is going to run on the coattails of the economic success of Deal and attempt to run for a third Nathan Deal term in the general election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta