Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 08:43 PM

6,495 posts, read 6,068,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
What they need to do is formulate a message that resonates with voters, instead of spending 100% of their facetime attacking the Republican platform. Their position on most any issue seems muddled, vague and confusing and feels at times like it's deliberate...the old bait and switch. In trying to cast as wide a net as possible for potential voters, sincerity and focus are abandoned.
I was being a bit sarcastic with my statement. Sadly, I have friends of mine that are involved in both GOP and Dem politics that exude that mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 09:45 PM

10,331 posts, read 11,319,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
^^^Wow. I did not realize how dysfunctional the state Democratic party is.
Yeah, the Democratic Party of Georgia has been a real [crap]show during much of the last 15 years.

But Georgia Democrats appear to be attempting to improve dramatically from the desolate rock-bottom levels they were at in the early 2000's when they were a party in name only and had pretty much no real organizational structure or fundraising apparatus to speak of.

A major part of the reason why Republicans have been so dominant in Georgia state politics over the last 15 years is because Democrats have often had little or no organizational structure available to effectively or even adequately serve as an opposing political force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Isn't it everywhere? I mean look at who they lost the white house to. The Democratic Party needs to focus on their actual base and stop pandering to republicans.
While Democrats will need to register and drive turnout of their progressive base voters to better compete in statewide electoral contests in a state like Georgia, Democrats will still need to talk to moderate and even conservative voters (including Republicans) while driving maximized levels of voters turnout amongst their progressive base.

Having a strong base turnout apparatus actually helps a party to be able to better attract moderate and crossover voters because the strong base turnout shows the party to be a viable option capable of actually winning electoral contests.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:06 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,090,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
NY and CA? The two states that almost single handedly fund the entire US? States that pay heavily into the system with federal tax dollars so Republican managed states with horrible GDP and poor citizens can be subsidized? States that have international reputations and world class cities such as NYC and LA? States that try to create social safety nets for their citizens where the federal government fails, from healthcare to free tuition?

Yes, why would we EVER want that? Oh yeah, because your taxes might go up a bit. How terribly selfish.
State Fitch Moody's S&P

California AA- Aa3 AA-

Georgia AAA Aaa AAA

Illinois BBB Baa3 BBB-

New York AA+ Aa1 AA+

Spot the progressive states and their respective credit ratings. Not having lived in Illinois I can't comment about life there, but I have lived in CA and NY. Both are poorly run. Both create "safety nets" at the expense of the middle and upper middle class. Like paying $15-20K in property taxes for a home? Like paying 10% of your income to the state? Like paying by far the most amount per student ($20,000) to educate them but don't have any better graduation rate or outcome? Like having rules, regulations and onerous fees? Welcome.

BTW, the reason why monies flow to the federal system isn't because they tax and spend. It's because incomes are generally higher there. A lot has to do with history as well as their location - Wall St. and Hollywood. People earn more in these industries, and also then pay more in federal taxes.

Also, GA lags (very similar to CA) in getting money "back" from the federal government on a per capita basis. You may find this instructive.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were a liberal progressive. I'll take all that back and talk some sense elsewhere.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:35 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,667,032 times
It would be nice, if Kasim Reed decided to throw his hat into the ring.

The current 2 candidates are cool but they don't stand a chance in the gubernatorial election.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:13 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,315,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
And that democrat will destroy the state's economy, film industry and future. GA does NOT want to become a state like NY or CA.
Weird. I wonder why the film people seem to support them?

Keeping the film industry alive should be a huge point on anyone's platform.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:29 AM

10,331 posts, read 11,319,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
It would be nice, if Kasim Reed decided to throw his hat into the ring.
I think that in the past (particularly before his daughter was born), Kasim Reed might have been seriously contemplating running for a statewide office like governor (or US Senator).

But Reed seemed to back away from desiring to run for higher office after his daughter was born.

Also, the alleged bribery scandal in the Procurement Department at Atlanta City Hall that happened during his second term as mayor seemed to make a run for higher office politically unfeasible at this time.

...Which may be something that is for the best because Reed sometimes displayed a tendency to come across as either being too thin-skinned at times while appearing to have lots of hubris at many other times... Two traits that likely would not translate very well into a run for a statewide office like governor or US Senator.

Not unlike in most other states, particularly in the largest states, the tendency (and often necessity) for successful big city mayors to display lots of hubris while leading a fast-paced hustling and bustling large urban jurisdiction often does not translate very well into runs for a statewide office like governor where suburban, exurban and rural voters seem to respond much better to politicians with personalities that don't come across as abrasive.

Though, on the other hand, Reed does seem to be someone who could generate the excessive amounts of cash from both in-state and (especially) out-of-state progressive donors that would be needed for a statewide race like governor.

Reed also believed that the Georgia Democratic Party needed to drive (and maximize) turnout amongst its base of progressive black, white, Hispanic and Asian voters to become most competitive in statewide contests, which is something that potentially could have worked well in his favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
The current 2 candidates are cool but they don't stand a chance in the gubernatorial election.
With the plight of the Georgia Democratic Party in recent years (along with the early overwhelming fundraising advantage and major corporate backing of a Republican candidate like Casey Cagle), that is a pretty good assessment of the chances of the two Democratic candidates for governor (Stacey Abrams and Stacey Evans) in the November 2018 gubernatorial election.

Though with the ongoing extreme volatility in the federal executive branch and the growing concerns about how that extreme volatility might alienate college-educated voters (particularly college-educated suburban female voters), many establishment Republicans seem to be worried that a matchup against either of the two Staceys (Abrams or Evans) potentially could make for an outing that is much tougher than expected in the general election campaign.

Republicans seem to be concerned that a progressive black female candidate like Stacey Abrams could turnout black and minority Democratic base voters in very large numbers in November, large enough numbers where an upset scenario conceivably could be within the realm of possibility.

Meanwhile, Republicans also seem to be concerned that a moderate white female candidate like Stacey Evans potentially could attract moderate suburban, exurban and female voters away from the GOP in the general election in a year where the GOP is expected to have problems with female voters.

Either of the two Staceys in the Democratic gubernatorial primary seem to potentially be a matchup problem for Republicans in the general election because of the GOP's problems with female and minority voters and with the potential for Donald Trump to make those problems that the GOP has with those groups even worse by the time that the November election rolls around.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:27 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,667,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I think that in the past (particularly before his daughter was born), Kasim Reed might have been seriously contemplating running for a statewide office like governor (or US Senator).

But Reed seemed to back away from desiring to run for higher office after his daughter was born.

Also, the alleged bribery scandal in the Procurement Department at Atlanta City Hall that happened during his second term as mayor seemed to make a run for higher office politically unfeasible at this time.

...Which may be something that is for the best because Reed sometimes displayed a tendency to come across as either being too thin-skinned at times while appearing to have lots of hubris at many other times... Two traits that likely would not translate very well into a run for a statewide office like governor or US Senator.

Not unlike in most other states, particularly in the largest states, the tendency (and often necessity) for successful big city mayors to display lots of hubris while leading a fast-paced hustling and bustling large urban jurisdiction often does not translate very well into runs for a statewide office like governor where suburban, exurban and rural voters seem to respond much better to politicians with personalities that don't come across as abrasive.

Though, on the other hand, Reed does seem to be someone who could generate the excessive amounts of cash from both in-state and (especially) out-of-state progressive donors that would be needed for a statewide race like governor.

Reed also believed that the Georgia Democratic Party needed to drive (and maximize) turnout amongst its base of progressive black, white, Hispanic and Asian voters to become most competitive in statewide contests, which is something that potentially could have worked well in his favor.
Kasim is an ass but he seems to be the right ass to get certain things completed under the dome for the state.

He would be a good motivator to wake up the Georgia Democratic Party though.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:00 AM

815 posts, read 700,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
With the plight of the Georgia Democratic Party in recent years (along with the early overwhelming fundraising advantage and major corporate backing of a Republican candidate like Casey Cagle), that is a pretty good assessment of the chances of the two Democratic candidates for governor (Stacey Abrams and Stacey Evans) in the November 2018 gubernatorial election.

Though with the ongoing extreme volatility in the federal executive branch and the growing concerns about how that extreme volatility might alienate college-educated voters (particularly college-educated suburban female voters), many establishment Republicans seem to be worried that a matchup against either of the two Staceys (Abrams or Evans) potentially could make for an outing that is much tougher than expected in the general election campaign.

Republicans seem to be concerned that a progressive black female candidate like Stacey Abrams could turnout black and minority Democratic base voters in very large numbers in November, large enough numbers where an upset scenario conceivably could be within the realm of possibility.

Meanwhile, Republicans also seem to be concerned that a moderate white female candidate like Stacey Evans potentially could attract moderate suburban, exurban and female voters away from the GOP in the general election in a year where the GOP is expected to have problems with female voters.

Either of the two Staceys in the Democratic gubernatorial primary seem to potentially be a matchup problem for Republicans in the general election because of the GOP's problems with female and minority voters and with the potential for Donald Trump to make those problems that the GOP has with those groups even worse by the time that the November election rolls around.
Ah, glimmers of hope! I guess if a Democrat can become a Senator in AL, anything is possible. Maybe one of those rumored skeletons will be revealed on Cagle.

I actually am not that unhappy with our Governor and the direction Georgia is headed. The GOP here is pretty moderate and their bark is worse than their bite. If a Democrat won, I don't think the policies would be all that much different.

Personally, my big complaint is Governor Deal's cronyism. I understand that appointing friends is the name of the game in politics, but Governor Deal has taken this to an extreme level. Case in point: Sam Olens' appointment at KSU. These kind of appointments seem to be happening at all levels of state government and could at some point impact the functioning of our government.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:50 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,201,228 times
I'm no fan of either party. But I'm not going to forget what the state Democratic party did in our mayoral election. They will not simply get my support across the board because Trump is a narcissist. I'm going to be to balancing punitive action against the state party w/ a sound choice for governor in this next election.

We need more choices in parties so one doesn't rule the roost while in power. Their efforts go too far then things swing hard the other way at the next election...and nothing of a long term nature gets accomplished.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:20 AM

6,495 posts, read 6,068,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
I'm no fan of either party. But I'm not going to forget what the state Democratic party did in our mayoral election. They will not simply get my support across the board because Trump is a narcissist. I'm going to be to balancing punitive action against the state party w/ a sound choice for governor in this next election.

We need more choices in parties so one doesn't rule the roost while in power. Their efforts go too far then things swing hard the other way at the next election...and nothing of a long term nature gets accomplished.
DuBose Porter can go f himself with a cactus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta