Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 12:11 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

Advertisements

There is a bus line, nearly express-like that goes from Cumberland to Arts Center Station, using the HOV lanes.
https://cobbcounty.org/images/docume...ap_12-2016.pdf
When the 10X starts service, it will be express from CTC to MARTA stations.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:22 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
You can live like us if you choose to by getting your county officials onboard.
Bro, Cobb County has nothing to do with this.

Maybe 5% or so of ITP's land area is in Cobb. Which means 95% of ITP has MARTA, pays sales taxes for MARTA, already joined MARTA a long time ago. Or in the case of ITP Clayton, a few years ago.

So where is all the transit in MARTA-covered ITP? Meaning in Fulton County, in DeKalb County, in City of Atlanta proper?

I live right outside Atlanta city limits, and I have to drive across the whole city to the other side, to get to the nearest MARTA station.

You want to talk about "quit hating", quit blaming Cobb for that. Cobb is to blame for the fact there's no (useful) MARTA in Cobb, not for the fact that there's no (useful) MARTA in most of the entire NW area of the City of Atlanta.

Last edited by primaltech; 01-19-2018 at 12:34 PM..

Old 01-19-2018, 12:32 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Hmm, well, I can say that when I lived within walking distance to a MARTA station, I certainly felt like it was helpful sometimes...but I definitely didn't feel like it totally connected me to everything.

Of course, back then, I was mostly interested in staying out late at bars and clubs, so the fact that it didn't run 24 hours pretty much made it useless to me. I also found it much easier to drive the 11 miles to work than to wait for trains. Of course, traffic has gotten a lot worse since then, so if I was in the same situation now, I'd probably use it much more.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:32 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
There is a bus line, nearly express-like that goes from Cumberland to Arts Center Station, using the HOV lanes.
https://cobbcounty.org/images/docume...ap_12-2016.pdf
When the 10X starts service, it will be express from CTC to MARTA stations.
Also, CobbLinc is going to hopefully soon have all-day full Saturday and Sunday service. Applying for federal transit funds for that.

Generally I'm excited about the 10X, with an asterisk. They need to make some key tweaks.

I live near the Cumberland Transfer Center, but it's too dang difficult to access. There's no park & ride (unless you illegally park at the mall), and walking to it is a bear. So they need to do something about that. I think the best thing would be to relocate it over the east side of the Galleria near I-75, as you and I have discussed and agreed before. Where they could have lots of park&ride, potential TOD, better access to the Braves, etc- plus just being right off the Akers Mill HOV exit.

Unless they plan to upgrade the CTC to a commuter rail and bus station. But in that case it still needs upgrades and park&ride and all that.

Then meanwhile at the other end, the 15th St bridge w/ HOV exit would make all the difference, as far as accessing Arts Center station directly. And they need to just loop at Arts Center and go back, not stop at 2 MARTA stations.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:35 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Bro, Cobb County has nothing to do with this.

Maybe 5% or so of ITP's land area is in Cobb. Which means 95% of ITP has MARTA, pays sales taxes for MARTA, already joined MARTA a long time ago. Or in the case of ITP Clayton, a few years ago.

So where is all the transit in MARTA-covered ITP? Meaning in Fulton County, in DeKalb County, in City of Atlanta proper?

I live right outside Atlanta city limits, and I have to drive across the whole city to the other side, to get to the nearest MARTA station.

You want to talk about "quit hating", quit blaming Cobb for that. Cobb is to blame for the fact there's no MARTA in Cobb, not for the fact that there's no MARTA in most of the entire NW area of the City of Atlanta.
Every rail system in every city that has heavy rail doesn't go everywhere. There are parts of Brooklyn that do not have access to a train station and it doesn't go from the city to Staten Island but it's still a good system. Nobody said that it goes to every square inch of Atlanta or any other city. What I'm saying is it is extremely useful for me and for most people near one of the MARTA lines. And imo the only people that can complain about MARTA are people in Fulton, Dekalb and Clayton

Old 01-19-2018, 12:35 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Why do people in the suburbs OTP without MARTA access always think people ITP don't have MARTA access? Not talking about the fake ITP (Cumberland,etc). We either are near a MARTA station or we have a bus nearby that will take us to a MARTA Station

Where did this thinking come from?

I have seen several post of people out in the suburbs acting like MARTA only goes a couple of stops and it doesn't move almost a half a million people daily. They are bashing MARTA when they probably don't even have a bus service on Sunday. Stop hating on MARTA
Don't get out much, huh?

Old 01-19-2018, 12:38 PM

347 posts, read 380,090 times
I've lived OTP since 1994 and I've rarely come across anyone who feels that ITP doesn't have MARTA access just that some areas are further away from MARTA stations than others that would warrant someone to still drive to a station.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:43 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times
Btw I'm not a OTP hater. Heck I might move back to Smyrna in a couple of months if I get motivated to move but when I did use to live in Smyrna I never complain about MARTA. I knew what I was getting into prior and knew ahead of time that I would need my car 100% of the time in Cobb.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:44 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormhammer View Post
I've lived OTP since 1994 and I've rarely come across anyone who feels that ITP doesn't have MARTA access just that some areas are further away from MARTA stations than others that would warrant someone to still drive to a station.
Why is there always this focus that MARTA=HRT? We even see it when talking about expansion projects.
Does MARTA service not also include bus?

Old 01-19-2018, 12:53 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,317 times
I mean, marta does suck. Not sure why people refuse to acknowledge that. The rail system is laughable for the areas that it actually services. And even those that do have buses, for many of them you have to walk far as hell just to get to a stop. And i've actually LIVED ITP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta