Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 11:53 AM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times

Advertisements

Regardless, none of us (maybe? At least not me) are qualified to offer legal advice in any capacity, what the OP does next is entirely up to the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 12:56 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Regardless, none of us (maybe? At least not me) are qualified to offer legal advice in any capacity, what the OP does next is entirely up to the OP.
Well they chose to post here about it, presumably to get some different opinions. I'm sure he/she knows to take advice with a grain of salt and use your own best judgment.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:59 AM

1,709 posts, read 3,423,588 times
I was traveling in the same direction as the Bus. Not a cop. Bus video.

When the video starts you immediately see my car and another car a half length in front of me. I assume the tape begins to roll as soon as the bus is stopped. Its not as if two seconds go by and then you see my car.

Bus is in far right lane at the curb an I am two lanes over traveling in the same direction. No divider or center lane. Law isn't specific about this type of road but I have read in places where that if you're traveling in the same direction and lights are flashing you stop no matter what...and I do when I'm clearly behind the bus.

Lights did go off. I thought I was in the clear. I was basically traveling just behind the bus and definitely not putting any kids in danger unless kids are able to 1, get up out of the seat, 2 get off bus, 3 run 20 yards all in the matter of a half second. Lastly any kid getting off at that bus stop does not cross the road there. I don't even see the point in stopping to be honest but I know the law and that is not why I didn't stop.

I think I read lawmakers were getting the third party camera vendor to delay the start of the videos. Hopefully that is the case as they are clearly trying to get enough tickets issued to pay for the expense of equipping buses with cameras.

I still don't plan to pay. This won't impact my driving record. Confirmed. This won't impact my drivers license. Confirmed. This a civil matter and the only recourse the CoA has is to send me to collections. I'm not making any purchases for a LONG time.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:13 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
I was traveling in the same direction as the Bus. Not a cop. Bus video.

When the video starts you immediately see my car and another car a half length in front of me. I assume the tape begins to roll as soon as the bus is stopped. Its not as if two seconds go by and then you see my car.

Bus is in far right lane at the curb an I am two lanes over traveling in the same direction. No divider or center lane. Law isn't specific about this type of road but I have read in places where that if you're traveling in the same direction and lights are flashing you stop no matter what...and I do when I'm clearly behind the bus.

Lights did go off. I thought I was in the clear. I was basically traveling just behind the bus and definitely not putting any kids in danger unless kids are able to 1, get up out of the seat, 2 get off bus, 3 run 20 yards all in the matter of a half second. Lastly any kid getting off at that bus stop does not cross the road there. I don't even see the point in stopping to be honest but I know the law and that is not why I didn't stop.

I think I read lawmakers were getting the third party camera vendor to delay the start of the videos. Hopefully that is the case as they are clearly trying to get enough tickets issued to pay for the expense of equipping buses with cameras.

I still don't plan to pay. This won't impact my driving record. Confirmed. This won't impact my drivers license. Confirmed. This a civil matter and the only recourse the CoA has is to send me to collections. I'm not making any purchases for a LONG time.
Well, my original suspicions were slightly confirmed.. only you weren't directly behind the bus and two lanes over.. that's still kind of a hard one.

Implied its a CAMERA and not an official OFFICER I'm almost certain there's a loophole in the system to get out of it (much in the same way they faught red light cameras and suddenly they almost don't even exist in Metro Atlanta anymore.) actually that brings me to a question I may have to make another post about...

If however you DO have a confirmed court date, I would highly suggest not missing it... thats much different than just a bill violation in the mail... also be aware that the state has the right to suspend your tags for unpaid violations.. that or they can make it impossible for you to renew them until the violation is paid... I'd take it alittle more seriously... they didn't put cameras on that bus just to catch you smiling

Old 01-27-2018, 02:10 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Go to court or pay the fine. Either way, take care of it while time is on your side.

Stupid stuff happens to good people all the time. Don't make it worse.

Old 01-27-2018, 02:48 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Based on the OP's further description it doesn't seem like a flagrant violation where somebody just goes steaming by a stopped school bus. I'd go to traffic court and explain to the judge and see if you can work it out.

Better than just ignoring it.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:38 PM

654 posts, read 526,605 times
I'm not going to lecture you on ethics, but I am going to offer you some unsolicited advice.

Pay the fine, move on with life. It's not about being right but being happy. Getting aggravated about the ticket isn't doing you any favors.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:58 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
I'm not going to lecture you on ethics, but I am going to offer you some unsolicited advice.

Pay the fine, move on with life. It's not about being right but being happy. Getting aggravated about the ticket isn't doing you any favors.
This, and trust me when I say the powers that me be are a heck of alot bigger than you ... sorry to put it that way, but I wouldnt mess around with the city.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:09 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,423,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post

I'm not aggravated.

I'm throwing it in the trash. If I paid it, then I'd be aggravated.

Feels pretty good actually. Like when I don't pay parking tickets. That too hasn't come back to bite me and those are now a few yrs old.

Should the status change and the city does come after me, I'll update everyone.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:19 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
I'm not aggravated.

I'm throwing it in the trash. If I paid it, then I'd be aggravated.

Feels pretty good actually. Like when I don't pay parking tickets. That too hasn't come back to bite me and those are now a few yrs old.

Should the status change and the city does come after me, I'll update everyone.
Deal. If you are unable, please pass a note to the prison guard to contact us.

Just Kidding!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: