Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 08:18 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I am currently out-of-state for an extended period of time, but I have lived in various multiple parts of metro Atlanta, from the City of Atlanta, to Douglas County, to South Fulton County, to Clayton County, to South DeKalb County, to North DeKalb County, to Gwinnett County. I also have strong personal ties (family and friends) in Cobb County.

I had a contract ground logistical job for many years working for the airlines out of the Atlanta Airport for many years that required me to travel to what seemed like every nook and cranny of the greater Atlanta metro region (both ITP and OTP) and beyond out into some broad swaths of the state of Georgia and even surrounding states like Alabama, Tennessee, North Carolina and South Carolina.

I have literally traveled past the site of all 134 QuikTrip gas stations in North Georgia, to give one an idea of how much driving I've done and how large of a geographical area that I've covered.
Wow ... and I always thought you worked in some media related job like public information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,326 times
Is there any point in fighting a ticket obtained in this 55mph zone? Asking, because I was stopped yesterday, supposedly going 72 in the 55 zone (though, I thought the limit was 65 as I do not drive 316 often.)

Old 01-30-2018, 12:20 PM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA-driver View Post
Is there any point in fighting a ticket obtained in this 55mph zone? Asking, because I was stopped yesterday, supposedly going 72 in the 55 zone (though, I thought the limit was 65 as I do not drive 316 often.)
You can try but I highly doubt you'll be successful. They may knock points off. For the record the very first half mile of GA316 where you come off of I-85 till somewhere before the Boggs Rd Overpass actually IS 65 MPH.

They usually let you go up till 65 but after that you run a big risk of getting pulled over. Only defense you may have is going with the flow of traffic but that likely won't do much good.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:15 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,440,929 times
Add 1-75/-85 at Lakewood too. 55 mph is like so 1960's.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:27 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA-driver View Post
Depends on which law enforcement agency issued the ticket and what jurisdiction the ticket was issued in (was it Georgia State Patrol, Gwinnett County Police or Lawrenceville Police?).

In some cases, (more so in Gwinnett County than in the City of Lawrenceville) you potentially might be able to negotiate the ticket down like Need4Camaro alluded to.

In any case, you likely should consult a good, qualified traffic lawyer to see which way to proceed in this situation.

You probably would be especially well-advised to take a lawyer with you to court if you have a court date in the Lawrenceville city traffic court which has a reputation for being a really tough traffic court.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:13 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
If all else fails, plead no lo...

Old 01-30-2018, 05:06 PM

654 posts, read 527,320 times
Goes to show you how slow I drive. I thought at first you were going to complain that 55 was too high.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:27 AM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
Goes to show you how slow I drive. I thought at first you were going to complain that 55 was too high.
Well the main reasons I feel it's too slow is because it's right after a 70 zone on I-85, people are doing 65 - 70 on GA-316 making 55 difficult to maintain and sometimes unsafe, and there's really seemingly no reason for it to be that low in that area. ( No cross streets, no businesses, just overpasses and ramps)

Old 01-31-2018, 07:11 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Well the main reasons I feel it's too slow is because it's right after a 70 zone on I-85, people are doing 65 - 70 on GA-316 making 55 difficult to maintain and sometimes unsafe, and there's really seemingly no reason for it to be that low in that area. ( No cross streets, no businesses, just overpasses and ramps)
Those are good points about the 55 mph zone on GA 316 coming after exiting from a roadway with a 70 mph speed limit on I-85 northbound and about the 55 mph speed being difficult to maintain with the traffic flowing at about at least 65-70 mph.

But keep in mind that 316 is a mostly 4-lane roadway that is not built to modern Interstate standards with interchange on and off ramps being spaced somewhat fairly close together along the grade-separated stretch of the highway that runs through the Lawrenceville area.

Also keep in mind that the law enforcement agencies that are responsible for patrolling and conducting speed enforcement along the stretch of 316 in question with a 55-mph speed limit (Georgia State Patrol, Lawrenceville Police and Gwinnett County Police) generally are not going to issue speeding citations for speeds less than 15 miles over the posted speed limit... Something which means that motorists are being allowed to drive up to at least 70 mph on a non-Interstate standard roadway with a 55-mph speed limit and what is likely no more than a 55 or 60-mph design speed.

The 55 mph speed limit is also reflective of when the Collins Hill Road and GA 20 Buford Drive junctions were gridlock-generating signalized at-grade intersections before being converted to grade-separated interchanges a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta