Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2018, 02:16 PM
 
11,775 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Reputation: 9925

Advertisements

Between I-85 and U.S. 29 the speed limit is 55 MPH on GA-316 and a good portion of this is a limited access freeway. Yet later it turns 65 where it has intersections and cross streets... ...I never understood the logic behind that, and especially that I-85 has a 70 MPH limit and you're forced to slow down within a fairly short period of distance to 55...

Definitely don't speed on it either, there's almost always a cop monitoring it between Boggs Rd and SR120.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2018, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Reputation: 7790
Probably because even though the limited access portion of 316 has been recently extended, it's still just a short stretch, only between I-85 and Hi-Hope Rd in City of Lawrenceville.

When it's a proper limited access freeway all the way out to Athens, then it will be appropriate to raise the speed limit to match other freeways.

Also before that point they're going to need to do away with any short on-ramps like this (and obviously get rid of any stop signs and same-grade intersections):

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9825...7i13312!8i6656
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 10:22 PM
 
10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Reputation: 7819
The section in question of GA 316 (between I-85 on the west end and Hi-Hope Road on the east end) probably has a 55 mph speed limit because:

1) Of the relatively very close spacing between at-grade road crossings along the GA 316 roadway between Hi-Hope Road and US 29...

2) The GA 316 right-of-way runs through the incorporated area of the City of Lawrenceville proper between Sugarloaf Parkway on the west and Hi-Hope Road on the east... Something that means that the 55 mph speed limit likely is a cash cow for local government entities like the Lawrenceville Police Department and the Lawrenceville city government that collect revenue from speed enforcement along the stretch of GA 316 that is within their jurisdiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2018, 05:25 AM
 
11,775 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Reputation: 9925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
The section in question of GA 316 (between I-85 on the west end and Hi-Hope Road on the east end) probably has a 55 mph speed limit because:

1) Of the relatively very close spacing between at-grade road crossings along the GA 316 roadway between Hi-Hope Road and US 29...

2) The GA 316 right-of-way runs through the incorporated area of the City of Lawrenceville proper between Sugarloaf Parkway on the west and Hi-Hope Road on the east... Something that means that the 55 mph speed limit likely is a cash cow for local government entities like the Lawrenceville Police Department and the Lawrenceville city government that collect revenue from speed enforcement along the stretch of GA 316 that is within their jurisdiction.
Yeah that seems to be the case about the cash cow, there is almost always someone pulled over on that highway and I find it fairly ridiculous. Can enough complaining to the state get them to raise the limit on the limited access portion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2018, 03:05 PM
 
10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Reputation: 7819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Yeah that seems to be the case about the cash cow, there is almost always someone pulled over on that highway and I find it fairly ridiculous. Can enough complaining to the state get them to raise the limit on the limited access portion?
Probably not, because the Georgia State Patrol (who are perennially often dangerously short on manpower) depends on local police departments (like the Lawrenceville and Gwinnett County police departments that have jurisdiction over different parts of this stretch of GA 316 with a 55 mph speed limit) to help them respond to, investigate and clear traffic collision scenes on state-owned roadways like GA 316, etc.

Letting local police departments and local governing jurisdictions like Lawrenceville and Gwinnett County use state-owned roadways like GA 316 as a speed enforcement cash cow gives those local police departments and local governing jurisdictions financial incentive to continue to back-up the perennially-thin Georgia State Patrol in the robust manner that is needed.

Plus, the section of GA 316 that you are talking about (between the I-85 interchange on the west and the US 29 junction on the east) seems to be prone to experience a somewhat high rate of traffic incidents (including automobile collisions) during peak traffic hours... So it potentially might could be challenging to make the case that the current 55 mph speed limit needs to be raised on a somewhat incident-prone stretch of urban controlled-access and limited-access highway with interchanges and at-grade crossings spaced somewhat close together.

Though, maybe one might potentially be able to make a case for an increased speed limit to 60 mph during off-peak traffic hours on electronic adjustable speed limit signs that would lower the posted speed limit during times of peak traffic volumes, traffic incidents and poor weather and traffic conditions.

But overall, with the current dynamics of that section of the GA 316 roadway (which is a non Interstate-standard roadway with only two through lanes in each direction with interchanges spaced less than a mile apart along the controlled-access portion of the highway from I-85 to GA 20, and little-to-no emergency shoulder space along many stretches), the speed limit probably along this stretch of highway needs to remain at about 55 mph for the time being or at least until some kind of electronic adjustable speed limit system can be put in place that would lower the posted speed limit during peak traffic hours and when weather and traffic and driving conditions are poor.

Broadly, all of GA 316, from its western terminus at the I-85 interchange in unincorporated Duluth to its eastern terminus at the Athens Loop, is a dangerous (and sometimes even deadly) road because of the lack of emergency shoulder space, at-grade intersections and 65 mph speed limit in a state where it is customary for traffic to flow at about at least 15+ mph over the posted speed limit.

...That means that people are often traveling at 80+ mph on a non-Interstate standard roadway with virtually no emergency shoulder and at-grade intersections along most of its corridor... Something which is incredibly dangerous along this type of non-Interstate standard roadway.

Even along the section of the GA 316 roadway with a 55 mph speed limit through the Lawrenceville area, the Georgia State Patrol (on the rare occasions that they might speed enforcement this roadway), Lawrenceville and Gwinnett County police departments most often still are pretty lenient and customarily often will not ticket motorists for speeding unless they are doing at least 70 mph (and often more) under normal driving conditions... Which 70+ mph is a speed that this non-Interstate standard roadway definitely was not designed to support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2018, 04:10 PM
 
11,775 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Reputation: 9925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Probably not, because the Georgia State Patrol (who are perennially often dangerously short on manpower) depends on local police departments (like the Lawrenceville and Gwinnett County police departments that have jurisdiction over different parts of this stretch of GA 316 with a 55 mph speed limit) to help them respond to, investigate and clear traffic collision scenes on state-owned roadways like GA 316, etc.

Letting local police departments and local governing jurisdictions like Lawrenceville and Gwinnett County use state-owned roadways like GA 316 as a speed enforcement cash cow gives those local police departments and local governing jurisdictions financial incentive to continue to back-up the perennially-thin Georgia State Patrol in the robust manner that is needed.

Plus, the section of GA 316 that you are talking about (between the I-85 interchange on the west and the US 29 junction on the east) seems to be prone to experience a somewhat high rate of traffic incidents (including automobile collisions) during peak traffic hours... So it potentially might could be challenging to make the case that the current 55 mph speed limit needs to be raised on a somewhat incident-prone stretch of urban controlled-access and limited-access highway with interchanges and at-grade crossings spaced somewhat close together.

Though, maybe one might potentially be able to make a case for an increased speed limit to 60 mph during off-peak traffic hours on electronic adjustable speed limit signs that would lower the posted speed limit during times of peak traffic volumes, traffic incidents and poor weather and traffic conditions.

But overall, with the current dynamics of that section of the GA 316 roadway (which is a non Interstate-standard roadway with only two through lanes in each direction with interchanges spaced less than a mile apart along the controlled-access portion of the highway from I-85 to GA 20, and little-to-no emergency shoulder space along many stretches), the speed limit probably along this stretch of highway needs to remain at about 55 mph for the time being or at least until some kind of electronic adjustable speed limit system can be put in place that would lower the posted speed limit during peak traffic hours and when weather and traffic and driving conditions are poor.

Broadly, all of GA 316, from its western terminus at the I-85 interchange in unincorporated Duluth to its eastern terminus at the Athens Loop, is a dangerous (and sometimes even deadly) road because of the lack of emergency shoulder space, at-grade intersections and 65 mph speed limit in a state where it is customary for traffic to flow at about at least 15+ mph over the posted speed limit.

...That means that people are often traveling at 80+ mph on a non-Interstate standard roadway with virtually no emergency shoulder and at-grade intersections along most of its corridor... Something which is incredibly dangerous along this type of non-Interstate standard roadway.

Even along the section of the GA 316 roadway with a 55 mph speed limit through the Lawrenceville area, the Georgia State Patrol (on the rare occasions that they might speed enforcement this roadway), Lawrenceville and Gwinnett County police departments most often still are pretty lenient and customarily often will not ticket motorists for speeding unless they are doing at least 70 mph (and often more) under normal driving conditions... Which 70+ mph is a speed that this non-Interstate standard roadway definitely was not designed to support.

Is there anything you don't know? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2018, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Reputation: 7790
Where do you live, Born 2 Roll, if I may ask? What part of the metro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2018, 06:31 PM
 
10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Reputation: 7819
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Where do you live, Born 2 Roll, if I may ask? What part of the metro?
I am currently out-of-state for an extended period of time, but I have lived in various multiple parts of metro Atlanta, from the City of Atlanta, to Douglas County, to South Fulton County, to Clayton County, to South DeKalb County, to North DeKalb County, to Gwinnett County. I also have strong personal ties (family and friends) in Cobb County.

I had a contract ground logistical job for many years working for the airlines out of the Atlanta Airport for many years that required me to travel to what seemed like every nook and cranny of the greater Atlanta metro region (both ITP and OTP) and beyond out into some broad swaths of the state of Georgia and even surrounding states like Alabama, Tennessee, North Carolina and South Carolina.

I have literally traveled past the site of all 134 QuikTrip gas stations in North Georgia, to give one an idea of how much driving I've done and how large of a geographical area that I've covered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2018, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Seattle, WA
9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Reputation: 7790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I am currently out-of-state for an extended period of time, but I have lived in various multiple parts of metro Atlanta, from the City of Atlanta, to Douglas County, to South Fulton County, to Clayton County, to South DeKalb County, to North DeKalb County, to Gwinnett County. I also have strong personal ties (family and friends) in Cobb County.

I had a contract ground logistical job for many years working for the airlines out of the Atlanta Airport for many years that required me to travel to what seemed like every nook and cranny of the greater Atlanta metro region (both ITP and OTP) and beyond out into some broad swaths of the state of Georgia and even surrounding states like Alabama, Tennessee, North Carolina and South Carolina.

I have literally traveled past the site of all 134 QuikTrip gas stations in North Georgia, to give one an idea of how much driving I've done and how large of a geographical area that I've covered.
Wow! That's pretty incredible. Now your choice of screen name makes more sense, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2018, 08:16 AM
 
Location: East Side of ATL
4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Reputation: 2158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Yeah that seems to be the case about the cash cow, there is almost always someone pulled over on that highway and I find it fairly ridiculous. Can enough complaining to the state get them to raise the limit on the limited access portion?
You would have to contact your Gwinnett County Commissioner to raise the speed who will send it to GA DOT who will do a traffic study to approve or deny it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:11 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top