Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 12:59 PM

1,376 posts, read 927,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Eh, I think Atlanta has a good skyline. It's probably not top 25, though. Some of the towers are tall and pretty and distinctive. It's way better than Vancouver's drab skyline (great city, though).

Would be a lot better if not for being so spread out and in different districts that are far from each other, especially with Buckhead. If you took all the existing towers in the city limits of Atlanta, plus the ones at Perimeter and Cumberland, and compacted them all into the Downtown/Midtown area, then that would make for a much more impressive skyline scene.
Nah, there aren't 25 NA skylines better than: https://www.instagram.com/p/CnskZVvKmVa/ I would put Atlanta in the top 15 in North America. The only ones that are clear-cut above Atlanta are NYC, Chicago, Toronto, Mexico City, and San Francisco. Atlanta belongs in the group with Dallas, Houston, LA, Seattle, Philly, Miami, Monterrey, and Vancouver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2023, 03:45 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Seattle
Having lived in both cities (and, nowhere else), I have to say that Atlanta's skyline, while very nice, doesn't really come close to being as epic/iconic as Seattle's- especially from the classic viewpoint of Kerry Park, with all the buildings in a compact downtown area, obviously the internationally iconic Space Needle, the bay, and on clear days the mountain all right there, in the scene. That is a top 10 iconic city skyline scene.

And secondarily the great view around sunset time from Rizal Park, and from West Seattle/Alki Point, and when coming in on the ferry from the water, at night especially.

I would say Atlanta's not quite in that same conversation, beautiful skyline wise. Especially with no water features. But, my favorite view/angle of Atlanta has always been from Buckhead (which, unfortunately excludes Buckhead, which is its own skyline area). Especially shots that emphasize the tree canopy, which is really the Atlanta skyline's best natural/unique feature.

I don't like the famous Walking Dead view from the Jackson St bridge, because it emphasizes so much of the highways and just all that wasted space. (It reminds of me of things I don't like about ATL.)

My last place in Atlanta was on Vinings Mountain, and I enjoyed the great view of the city from there, and including Buckhead. But it was just kind of small/on the horizon.

The view of Midtown from Piedmont Park is really nice, too.

Old 02-14-2023, 08:41 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Eh, I think Atlanta has a good skyline. It's probably not top 25, though. Some of the towers are tall and pretty and distinctive. It's way better than Vancouver's drab skyline (great city, though).
If you watch the video is was really bad it had Charlotte, Austin Cincinnati etc but no Atlanta, I actually like most his videos but when his take on skylines I was like LMAOOOOOO. To be fair it's his opinion but the criteria doesn't make sense.

In past his has a similar video which he had Atlanta but ranked Atlanta low, his argument was Atlanta skyline is too sprawled. He argue Atlanta would be better if Buckhead was Downtown, that I can agree with. but however one thing that caught my attention he mention midtown as far from Downtown along with Buckhead. When downtown-midtown are next to to each other and continuous.

Downtown-Midtown skyline is like if took DT Austin and took DT Nashville and put them next to each other. So it's like he ignore they are continuous and just judge Atlanta skyline just off Downtown. In fact midtown is having one largest amount construction and adding towers this past decade in the country. So how did Atlanta fall lower? the only expectation he's ignoring midtown entirely.

Quote:
Would be a lot better if not for being so spread out and in different districts that are far from each other, especially with Buckhead. If you took all the existing towers in the city limits of Atlanta, plus the ones at Perimeter and Cumberland, and compacted them all into the Downtown/Midtown area, then that would make for a much more impressive skyline scene.
You have any idea how many towers and space that would be?

these are pretty updated pictures of Austin, Charlotte, Nashville,

Again you could put Nashville and Austin Skylines next to each other and it would be similar if not small skyline then Downtown/midtown.

Adding Buckhead would be not far off as adding Charlotte's.

DT/MT Atlanta

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fd580T3X...jpg&name=large
imagine adding that with this....

Buckhead

https://atlantaciviccircle.org/wp-co...2-scaled-1.jpg

Downtown and midtown combo is already like a top 10 skyline in the North America. Saying Atlanta needs to add Buckhead plus Perimeter center and Cumberland is overkill. Never mind top 25 in North America that would be like top 25 in world area with all that.

I get that skylines like Seattle are denser. but DT, MT, Buckhead, PC and Cumberland together would be like two Seattle plus DT next to each other in term of scale.

Old 02-15-2023, 09:46 AM

1,376 posts, read 927,370 times
Quote:
Having lived in both cities (and, nowhere else), I have to say that Atlanta's skyline, while very nice, doesn't really come close to being as epic/iconic as Seattle's- especially from the classic viewpoint of Kerry Park, with all the buildings in a compact downtown area, obviously the internationally iconic Space Needle, the bay, and on clear days the mountain all right there, in the scene. That is a top 10 iconic city skyline scene.

And secondarily the great view around sunset time from Rizal Park, and from West Seattle/Alki Point, and when coming in on the ferry from the water, at night especially.

I would say Atlanta's not quite in that same conversation, beautiful skyline wise. Especially with no water features. But, my favorite view/angle of Atlanta has always been from Buckhead (which, unfortunately excludes Buckhead, which is its own skyline area). Especially shots that emphasize the tree canopy, which is really the Atlanta skyline's best natural/unique feature.

I don't like the famous Walking Dead view from the Jackson St bridge, because it emphasizes so much of the highways and just all that wasted space. (It reminds of me of things I don't like about ATL.)

My last place in Atlanta was on Vinings Mountain, and I enjoyed the great view of the city from there, and including Buckhead. But it was just kind of small/on the horizon.

The view of Midtown from Piedmont Park is really nice, too.
Seattle is just ok to me. The only thing that stands out is the space needle and mountains in the background, there's nothing really special about Seattle's skyline besides that. Atlanta has the taller looking skyline and looks more impressive imo especially with many of the gaps filling and become denser.

Old 02-16-2023, 12:19 PM

704 posts, read 936,073 times
The Lover's Leap on the top of Sweat Mountain was a popular place to view Atlanta's skyline in the 80's.

Old 02-19-2023, 07:33 PM
bu2

24,094 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Everybody has their preferences. He likes Las Vegas. Glass, modern, flashy, flaky designs. He likes Dallas because they light up at night. He likes crowded, new, dense, rather than spread out.

I would not put Las Vegas anywhere near the top. And there is something to being spread out a little like Miami or Houston as opposed to shoulder to shoulder like NYC and Vancouver.

Old 02-19-2023, 07:35 PM
bu2

24,094 posts, read 14,879,963 times
I think Austin has lost a little with its growth. Instead of the N-S Congress Avenue line to the Capitol and Texas Tower, you have this T shape now with towers along the river perpendicular to Congress Avenue. But he likes those glass towers lining the river.

Old 02-20-2023, 07:26 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,357,555 times
I used to live in an apartment in Vinings, atop a hill, that had a fabulous view of the downtown stretching north to Midtown.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:29 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,357,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
If you watch the video is was really bad it had Charlotte, Austin Cincinnati etc but no Atlanta, I actually like most his videos but when his take on skylines I was like LMAOOOOOO. To be fair it's his opinion but the criteria doesn't make sense.

In past his has a similar video which he had Atlanta but ranked Atlanta low, his argument was Atlanta skyline is too sprawled. He argue Atlanta would be better if Buckhead was Downtown, that I can agree with. but however one thing that caught my attention he mention midtown as far from Downtown along with Buckhead. When downtown-midtown are next to to each other and continuous.

Downtown-Midtown skyline is like if took DT Austin and took DT Nashville and put them next to each other. So it's like he ignore they are continuous and just judge Atlanta skyline just off Downtown. In fact midtown is having one largest amount construction and adding towers this past decade in the country. So how did Atlanta fall lower? the only expectation he's ignoring midtown entirely.

You have any idea how many towers and space that would be?

these are pretty updated pictures of Austin, Charlotte, Nashville,

Again you could put Nashville and Austin Skylines next to each other and it would be similar if not small skyline then Downtown/midtown.

Adding Buckhead would be not far off as adding Charlotte's.

DT/MT Atlanta

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fd580T3X...jpg&name=large
imagine adding that with this....

Buckhead

https://atlantaciviccircle.org/wp-co...2-scaled-1.jpg

Downtown and midtown combo is already like a top 10 skyline in the North America. Saying Atlanta needs to add Buckhead plus Perimeter center and Cumberland is overkill. Never mind top 25 in North America that would be like top 25 in world area with all that.

I get that skylines like Seattle are denser. but DT, MT, Buckhead, PC and Cumberland together would be like two Seattle plus DT next to each other in term of scale.

I disagree saying Austin and Nashville's skyline are similar. Nashville ha3 buildings above 500 feet tall, one over 600. Austin has 8 above 500 sf, including 2 above 650 feet . Austin has two buildings under construction taller than 850 ft.

Old 02-20-2023, 04:26 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,682 times
You can see the downtown/midtown skyline from I-85 Southbound near Suwanee exit (North of 316 interchange)

It's faint but visible at night, almost 29 miles away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta