Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 06:45 AM

11,780 posts, read 7,992,594 times

Advertisements

By Interesting, I don't necessarily mean drop dead gorgeous or extremely large city scapes, but moreso, places you can see the skyline where you wouldn't expect to see it.

I'll name a few...

Location: I-85 Southbound between the exit for the access roads to Sugarloaf Pkwy / Old Peachtree Rd all the way to as far south as Boggs Rd. Most noted area is RIGHT as you're passing the Gwinnett Arena. [ https://goo.gl/maps/gvNTni9A7Z62 ]

Conditions: It HAS to be a clear day, no rain or fog or clouds, and it absolutely HAS to be daylight.

View Description: This one surprised me the first time I saw it because this area is still approximately 35 - 40 miles outside of Downtown. There is a long and slow decline in this area where you are coming down a large hill and from the upper portion of it as you're beginning to approach GA-316, if you're looking ahead, look FORWARD and to the RIGHT on a very clear and sunny day, and you will see the skylines of both Buckhead and Downtown Atlanta... it's kind of faint but you CAN see them if conditions are perfect. Its off-centered to the right because I-85 is traveling Southwest in this vicinity and direction of travel. ALSO from this location, just SLIGHTLY ahead and to the left, you can also see Stone Mountain.

I believe this is ABOUT the furthest away from Atlanta you can be around the entire metro and still see the Skyline unless you're in a tower or something.

==========

Location: GA-155 Northbound somewhere between Fairview Rd and Snapfinger Rd (heading torward Wesley Chaple).

Conditions: Clear day or clear night

View Description: Primarily noticed at night, this area is fairly rural on a seemingly country backroad but there is a portion where it looks like the road is heading directly for the skyline, the skyline is still fairly far off but its an interesting view of a large city while seemingly driving through the woods. I used to go this way when I lived in Stockbridge and commuted to Cumming and was leaving at 4am, was a pretty interesting sight.

==========

Location: Redan Rd Westbound somewhere around Redan High School

View Description: Largely suburban area however there is a large hill which Redan takes down and back up again. Before the descent into this hill, you can see most of the skyline of Atlanta dead ahead of you.

==========

Location: I-675 Southbound OR Moreland Avenue at I-285 interchange.

Conditions: Forgiving to cloudy days and very light haze. Clear conditions preferred.

View Description: Approaching I-285 on either of these streets, you will see a fairly large view of the Skyline, and both of these areas primarily I-675) have a fairly rural feel to them and then you come out and see a large skyline dead ahead.

Fun Fact: I-675 was "intended" to continue Northward into decatur and become GA-400 where it currently intersects I-85, the two were actually intended to be one highway and had this have occured, GA-400 that proceeds north into Alpharetta, Cumming and Dalonega would have been badged as I-675 and not GA-400.

==========

Conditions: Forgiving to cloudy days and light haze. Clear conditions preferred.

View Description: For some reason this is one of my favorite views, I guess its because you feel "far" from Atlanta because you're well into Cobb and the Smyrna / Marietta suburbs but then you come to this interchange and BOOM the city is RIGHT infront of you.

Fun Fact: I was rear-ended at this interchange (I-285 South exiting to S.Atlanta Rd heading North toward Cumberland Pkwy.) I was making a right turn and this was BEFORE they changed the yield sign to a keep moving sign. The slip lane was still there but by law you're required to come to a full stop even if there is a slip lane / yield sign present if the traffic light is red. I came to a stop, guy behind me didn't expect me to stop, popped me, guy behind him popped him and popped him into me again, guy behind him drove off... damage was minor so I let the guy go because he was a college student and was quite apparently not in a decent financial position. Not long after that they changed that into a keep moving lane... Also, they have been working on that bridge since 2013 and for some reason roadwork around Cobb just seems super slow. They're performing an ever so needed upgrade that will include dedicated left turn lanes onto the interstate. (old bridge didn't and it caused severe delays).

==========

Location: I-75 southbound ramp to I-285 eastbound fly-over ramp [DEPRECATED]

Conditions: Forgiving to cloudy days and light haze. Clear conditions preferred.

View Description: Back in the late 90's when they were remodeling this interchange, they were building these fly-over ramps and at the time this one went so high you could see the entire skyline, but they have since remodeled it and that is no longer possible.

==========

Location: Parking Garage on Overlook Pkwy in Vinings GA [ https://goo.gl/maps/ozxYVfJ91nL2 ]

Conditions: Forgiving to cloudy days and haze. Clear conditions preferred.

View Description: If you look at the link you'll see a parking garage, off to top top right corner of that Garage, if you're looking forward (off to the right from this perspective) you will see the entire skyline, everything. Perimeter, Buckhead, Midtown and Downtown and it's quite a large scape. Its probably one of the most beautiful views in the city.

==========

View Description: I'm 90% sure everyone knows about this view, you really can't miss it as you're coming down a long hill and you get a large view of the entire skyline about 4 miles before you reach I-285 and for those traveling into the metro from the Southwestern States and western states, its quite a welcoming surprise for those who have never been here before.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 01-27-2018 at 07:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 08:08 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,879 times
How about just walking down the sidewalk in your subdivision?

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8032...7i13312!8i6656

Old 01-27-2018, 08:19 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,829 times
This subdivision in Conley comes with a skyline view

https://goo.gl/maps/h1qSueiAaCS2

Old 01-27-2018, 08:20 AM

294 posts, read 264,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
By Interesting, I don't necessarily mean drop dead gorgeous or extremely large city scapes, but moreso, places you can see the skyline where you wouldn't expect to see it.

I'll name a few...

Location: I-85 Southbound between the exit for the access roads to Sugarloaf Pkwy / Old Peachtree Rd all the way to as far south as Boggs Rd. Most noted area is RIGHT as you're passing the Gwinnett Arena. [ https://goo.gl/maps/gvNTni9A7Z62 ]

Conditions: It HAS to be a clear day, no rain or fog or clouds, and it absolutely HAS to be daylight.

View Description: This one surprised me the first time I saw it because this area is still approximately 35 - 40 miles outside of Downtown. There is a long and slow decline in this area where you are coming down a large hill and from the upper portion of it as you're beginning to approach GA-316, if you're looking ahead, look FORWARD and to the RIGHT on a very clear and sunny day, and you will see the skylines of both Buckhead and Downtown Atlanta... it's kind of faint but you CAN see them if conditions are perfect. Its off-centered to the right because I-85 is traveling Southwest in this vicinity and direction of travel. ALSO from this location, just SLIGHTLY ahead and to the left, you can also see Stone Mountain.

I believe this is ABOUT the furthest away from Atlanta you can be around the entire metro and still see the Skyline unless you're in a tower or something.

==========

Location: GA-155 Northbound somewhere between Fairview Rd and Snapfinger Rd (heading torward Wesley Chaple).

View Description: Primarily noticed at night, this area is fairly rural on a seemingly country backroad but there is a portion where it looks like the road is heading directly for the skyline, the skyline is still fairly far off but its an interesting view of a large city while seemingly driving through the woods. I used to go this way when I lived in Stockbridge and commuted to Cumming and was leaving at 4am, was a pretty interesting sight.

==========

Location: Redan Rd Westbound somewhere around Redan High School

View Description: Largely suburban area however there is a large hill which Redan takes down and back up again. Before the descent into this hill, you can see most of the skyline of Atlanta dead ahead of you.

==========

Location: I-675 Southbound OR Moreland Avenue at I-285 interchange.

Conditions: Forgiving to cloudy days and very light haze. Clear conditions preferred.

View Description: Approaching I-285 on either of these streets, you will see a fairly large view of the Skyline, and both of these areas primarily I-675) have a fairly rural feel to them and then you come out and see a large skyline dead ahead.

Fun Fact: I-675 was "intended" to continue Northward into decatur and become GA-400 where it currently intersects I-85, the two were actually intended to be one highway and had this have occured, GA-400 that proceeds north into Alpharetta, Cumming and Dalonega would have been badged as I-675 and not GA-400.

==========

View Description: For some reason this is one of my favorite views, I guess its because you feel "far" from Atlanta because you're well into Cobb and the Smyrna / Marietta suburbs but then you come to this interchange and BOOM the city is RIGHT infront of you.

Fun Fact: I was rear-ended at this interchange (I-285 South exiting to S.Atlanta Rd heading North toward Cumberland Pkwy.) I was making a right turn and this was BEFORE they changed the yield sign to a keep moving sign. The slip lane was still there but by law you're required to come to a full stop even if there is a slip lane / yield sign present if the traffic light is red. I came to a stop, guy behind me didn't expect me to stop, popped me, guy behind him popped him and popped him into me again, guy behind him drove off... damage was minor so I let the guy go because he was a college student and was quite apparently not in a decent financial position. Not long after that they changed that into a keep moving lane... Also, they have been working on that bridge since 2013 and for some reason roadwork around Cobb just seems super slow. They're performing an ever so needed upgrade that will include dedicated left turn lanes onto the interstate. (old bridge didn't and it caused severe delays).

==========

Location: I-75 southbound ramp to I-285 eastbound fly-over ramp [DEPRECATED]

View Description: Back in the late 90's when they were remodeling this interchange, they were building these fly-over ramps and at the time this one went so high you could see the entire skyline, but they have since remodeled it and that is no longer possible.

==========

Location: Parking Garage on Overlook Pkwy in Vinings GA [ https://goo.gl/maps/ozxYVfJ91nL2 ]

View Description: If you look at the link you'll see a parking garage, off to top top right corner of that Garage, if you're looking forward (off to the right from this perspective) you will see the entire skyline, everything. Perimeter, Buckhead, Midtown and Downtown and it's quite a large scape. Its probably one of the most beautiful views in the city.

==========

View Description: I'm 90% sure everyone knows about this view, you really can't miss it as you're coming down a long hill and you get a large view of the entire skyline about 4 miles before you reach I-285 and for those traveling into the metro from the Southwestern States and western states, its quite a welcoming surprise for those who have never been here before.
Good thread. Stop using the word “dead”.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:18 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,972 times
The absolutely best skyline view is Eastbounf Marta train ride from Georgia State to King Memorial. It look like one continuous line that connects with Buckhead Skyline.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:14 AM
bu2

24,071 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Two of my favorites:

Clifton Road at Houston Mill (near the CDC). You can see downtown and Buckhead in different directions.

Atlanta Road coming in from Vinings. This is one of the few places where you can see that downtown is built on a ridgeline.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:17 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,356,130 times
Near me on Bolton Drive NW, they are building new townhomes called the Quarter Upper Westside. It's up high on a hill, with surrounding elevations more than 100' lower. So, from a couple of spots up there, you can get 270 degree sweeping views of every skyline. From many places, you get unobstructed views of either Kennesaw Mountain, Cumberland skyline, Perimeter, Buckhead, or Midtown/Downtown. On the Marietta Blvd. side, you get a really nice view of Mercedes Benz stadium. Most of these units will have 4-th floor rooftop patios, taking full advantage of this.

One of my favorite unknown skyline viewing spots is on the Jackson Bridge over Freedom Parkway. It's very obscure. J/K.

I love coming I-20 eastbound and cresting over the hill between miles 45 and 46.

S. Atlanta Rd. just north of the river on a railroad bridge gets a nice view.

Even Paces Ferry in Vinings, without going up onto the parking garages, gets a nice glimpse.

They're building some townhomes in Smyrna just north of West Village on W. Atlanta Rd. These are also 4-floor townhomes with rooftop patios. These will have a pretty good view of the skyline as well. If you look at this Street View, the skyline is towards the left, and the townhomes will be up on a hill to the right.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:18 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,359,910 times
How can no one here not mention Freedom Parkway west bound just past the Carter Center curve. You can see all three skylines (Downtown straight ahead, Midtown to the slight left, and uptown/Buckhead to the very far left.)
Jonesboro Road northbound in Forest Park.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:21 PM

294 posts, read 264,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
How can no one here not mention Freedom Parkway west bound just past the Carter Center curve. You can see all three skylines (Downtown straight ahead, Midtown to the slight left, and uptown/Buckhead to the very far left.)
Jonesboro Road northbound in Forest Park.
Yes! On a clear night looks like something out of space!

Old 01-27-2018, 10:20 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times
I love being able to see the skylines in the distance. There's just something about being able to see them from afar, especially at night. Great thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta