Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 06:24 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
A ClayCo State Rep introduced legislation that would allow kids from other school districts to attend any district in the state

So much for her faith in ClayCo's renaissance.
Georgia legislation would let students attend school far from home
Clayton has two of the best high schools in the state (Stilwell and Elite Scholars) and this bill seems unconstitutional. Why should a parent who doesn't pay taxes to a school district benefit from it? Even if they "know someone" who lives there, that is a flimsy excuse. If they don't live in the district, they shouldn't be there without paying tuition like APS does to it's out of district kids. That rep is terrible and is against her voter's interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 09:59 PM

597 posts, read 667,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
A ClayCo State Rep introduced legislation that would allow kids from other school districts to attend any district in the state

So much for her faith in ClayCo's renaissance.
Georgia legislation would let students attend school far from home
They did this in MN when I was growing up (graduated high school in 1991). The State had "open enrollment". You could technically go to any school you wanted and tax dollars would follow you. But, if you went out of your home district, you had to find a way to get there (they weren't sending a bus for you).

In the out-state area (outside Minneapolis-St Paul metro), you'd have a lot of kids from tiny towns go to bigger schools relatively close because they had much greater course offerings and activities which they sought. I guess same for the Twin Cities metro as well, not so much more offerings, but different - a neighboring district might have an academic program that a student's home district didn't, or simply the parents thought the neighboring district had higher quality education. There were a lot of understandable and legit uses of open enrollment, and it wasn't abused for the most part. Not sure if should be considered "abuse", but it was used for sports - build a a great sports program with kids from out of the district as well as the district; recruit kids into a district. As far as I know, MN still has open enrollment - though there are probably restrictions; most likely simple capacity restrictions (we don't have the space for that many out of district kids)

Old 02-03-2018, 08:22 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,785 times
I have long thought that Clayton was underappreciated. While there are areas of Clayton with issues, people have broadbrushed the entire county as undesirable. Clayton has a fantastic location, better proximity to downtown than most metro places and the airport is at your back door. I got lost trying to get around an interstate complete shutdown once and saw some very nice wooded and established neighborhoods that were very well kept and beautiful on my trek to find a detour. I can't speak to the schools but for affordability and location, Clayton should be considered by more people.

Last edited by midgeorgiaman; 02-03-2018 at 08:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta