Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,982 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm currently looking to relocate from Florida to preferably the Northern suburb neighborhoods of Atlanta.
Ideally in Alpharetta, Marietta/East Cobb, Johns Creek, or Suwannee that doesn't have an HOA. I've enlisted the help of a Real Estate Agent but inventory is not as abundant as it used to be and the properties that fits my needs have HOA fees attached. I have young kids so good schools are a must but I'm finding it's a challenge to find what I need being remote. My budget is anywhere from 400K to 550K max. So if anyone has any suggestions it would be most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 11:38 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe007 View Post
Hi, I'm currently looking to relocate from Florida to preferably the Northern suburb neighborhoods of Atlanta.
Ideally in Alpharetta, Marietta/East Cobb, Johns Creek, or Suwannee that doesn't have an HOA. I've enlisted the help of a Real Estate Agent but inventory is not as abundant as it used to be and the properties that fits my needs have HOA fees attached. I have young kids so good schools are a must but I'm finding it's a challenge to find what I need being remote. My budget is anywhere from 400K to 550K max. So if anyone has any suggestions it would be most appreciated.
Check into Old Atlanta Club in extreme south Forsyth County. Old Atlanta Club is swim / tennis community that, at one point, was a gated HOA community. It is a pretty community and very close to Johns Creek.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:06 PM

764 posts, read 1,107,967 times
Quote:

You have to understand that after 1980, pretty much all new subdivisions which were developed in the northern suburbs were created with a HOA - particularly those in the 400K to 500K price point that you want. There is a reason for this - buyers want to know that their neighbors won't put up a chain link fence or have boats or RV's in the driveway and the HOA is about the only way to prevent this. The Restrictive Covenants of the HOA give the power of the local government to enforce them and every owner signs a document that they will abide by the Covenants when they are at closing on their home.

The older neighborhoods inside the Perimeter were developed long before there were HOA's. In fact, the most expensive neighborhoods in Buckehead don't have them. Therefore, if a HOA is a deal breaker for you, perhaps you need to look at different areas than Johns Creek, Alpharetta. The City of Marietta also has older neighborhoods which are quite attractive (Northwest of the Cobb County Courthouse Square) which don't have them and that area may be a good starting point.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:21 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,265 times
Quote:
...and the properties that fits my needs have HOA fees attached.
Which part about an HOA is off-putting to you? Is it just the fees, the perceived reputation of heavy-handed enforcement, or something else?

For the rest a'yinz, I'm not putting that out there to spark another never-ending debate on the pros/cons of HOAs. Just asking a straight-up neutral question.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:32 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
Which part about an HOA is off-putting to you? Is it just the fees, the perceived reputation of heavy-handed enforcement, or something else?

For the rest a'yinz, I'm not putting that out there to spark another never-ending debate on the pros/cons of HOAs. Just asking a straight-up neutral question.
I was wondering the same thing, but didn't want to spark the debate.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:15 PM

333 posts, read 387,805 times
Please ask your agent to search FMLS using the option to eliminate properties that display HOA Fees. That tactic is only good, however, if the listing agent properly keyed the entry. Still, there should be a few accurate listings among the 70 or so that currently come up in Gwinnett County, six in Suwanee, with no HOA Fees. Several newer and older homes come up in FMLS in areas of interest to you in strong school clusters that display no fees payable to an HOA.

Last edited by AtlantaMove; 02-08-2018 at 04:39 PM..

Old 02-08-2018, 03:18 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
As mentioned above, you won't find non-HOA neighborhoods in that area because nobody was building neighborhoods there pre-1980s. Check out Roswell and parts of East Cobb. You will be looking at older homes, but the schools will be good and the lots are large(r). This is a good example. It does need a new kitchen though.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:10 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
HOA's are tricky.. you really want and need them, but you hate them when they're aggressive and especially when they're after you.. there is a very very very thin nuetral line when it comes to them. My HOA happens to be very fickle. I was fined $800 for cutting my grass too SHORT... yeah, ridiculous.. I hate them.. but.. my neighborhood would be alot worse without them...

Old 02-08-2018, 07:12 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
HOA's are tricky.. you really want and need them, but you hate them when they're aggressive and especially when they're after you.. there is a very very very thin nuetral line when it comes to them. My HOA happens to be very fickle. I was fined $800 for cutting my grass too SHORT... yeah, ridiculous.. I hate them.. but.. my neighborhood would be alot worse without them...
$800? Really? The highest fine in our HOA is $50, and that's after three warnings (which take three months).

Old 02-08-2018, 07:55 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
There is a part of the story missing here. In no way should an HOA fine be $800. In fact, fines should be defined in the covenants and it would be hard to fathom that someone put that in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta