Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 05:13 PM

68 posts, read 295,988 times

Advertisements

What are my options?

I see my relatives have Xfinity Comcast but I think Charter Spectrum is also available.
Zip Code is 30040.
I tested their speed and it was about 25 MBPS download and 10 MBPS upload.
I have Charter in NC and it is double that speed for download.
Any comments on either?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 07:01 PM

654 posts, read 526,605 times
That seems like a very slow download speed for cable. Almost dsl like. Then again cable is shared bandwidth so maybe you tested on a bad day.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
That seems like a very slow download speed for cable. Almost dsl like. Then again cable is shared bandwidth so maybe you tested on a bad day.
Do you have any input relevant to my original question?
Are you in the Cumming area and do you use either of the providers I mentioned?

Old 02-22-2018, 11:29 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
I can't help you directly as I am in the Lilburn area.

Our Comcast Xfinity connection is surprisingly good. The speed seemed to coincide with a copper cable upgrade along the street in a thicker silver cable that seems to be more neatly built years back. It might be worth identifying the cables in front of your house on the street and see which one looks the most upgraded.

Imperfect, not much to go on, but it ended up being true for us. I'd also try reaching out to neighbors in your neighborhood as not all cabling in an area that large would be the same. Some neighborhoods might be more upgraded than others.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I can't help you directly as I am in the Lilburn area.

Our Comcast Xfinity connection is surprisingly good. The speed seemed to coincide with a copper cable upgrade along the street in a thicker silver cable that seems to be more neatly built years back. It might be worth identifying the cables in front of your house on the street and see which one looks the most upgraded.

Imperfect, not much to go on, but it ended up being true for us. I'd also try reaching out to neighbors in your neighborhood as not all cabling in an area that large would be the same. Some neighborhoods might be more upgraded than others.
Thank you for your input! Very helpful!

Old 02-23-2018, 10:16 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
Depends also on the package you select. If that’s the max speed it’s fairly slow but down the road in Alpharetta I get 300 down, 30 up on Xfinity.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:34 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
While in Forsyth County, but not in Cumming city limits, we use AT&T Uverse for Internet. We operate our business over this. So far, it has been just fine and dependable. Now, we don't stream videos and other uses requiring very high speed, but for Internet browsing, email, and basic functions like that, it's fine.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:46 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Not in cumming, but if your relatives have Xfinity and only a 25mbps download speed, then that is all they are paying for. I also have xfinity, chose a mid-range plan, and have a 125mbps download speed. I have up to gigabit availble if I want to pay for it.

I picked a random residential address in cumming, went to xfinity’s website, and tried to sign up for service. I was given offers up to 350 mbps, and a button for gig speed. Didn’t click it to see what it said. So xfinity in cumming definitely has high speeds.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:26 AM

Thank you so much for the great info!
Very helpful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta