Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 02:53 PM

58 posts, read 99,519 times

Advertisements

I found out a week ago that Marta buses to Piedmont Park and Park Tavern don't run anymore on weekends. Why has that happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 03:25 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
I don't know where you got that information, but route 36 runs by Piedmont Park from Midtown Station to Decatur on weekends (although with a whopping one-hour schedule). Route 109, which runs down Monroe/Boulevard, does not appear to run on weekends. Route 27 runs along the west edge of the park (not near the Tavern), with a 40 minute schedule on weekends.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:25 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgibs View Post
I found out a week ago that Marta buses to Piedmont Park and Park Tavern don't run anymore on weekends. Why has that happened?
I don't know the details of any changes to the bus routing but I will note that a walk to Piedmont Park from either Midtown or Arts Center MARTA station is the same distance as walking from the Piedmont Park parking deck to Park Tavern. I have always just walked or biked over from the MARTA station instead of waiting for the bus.

Also, in the long term the Beltline transit will bring you right to the front door of Park Tavern.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:49 PM

58 posts, read 99,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I don't know where you got that information, but route 36 runs by Piedmont Park from Midtown Station to Decatur on weekends (although with a whopping one-hour schedule). Route 109, which runs down Monroe/Boulevard, does not appear to run on weekends. Route 27 runs along the west edge of the park (not near the Tavern), with a 40 minute schedule on weekends.

I was talking about route 109. Route 109 doesn't run any more on weekends. So route 36 will take me to Piedmont Park from the Midtown Marta station?

Old 02-25-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I will note that a walk to Piedmont Park from either Midtown or Arts Center MARTA station is the same distance as walking from the Piedmont Park parking deck to Park Tavern.
Not true. The walking distance from the deck to the tavern is approximately 3,000 feet. The distance from the Tavern to Midtown Station is right at one mile (5,280 feet), and to Arts Center is a minimum of 1.3 miles. I don't know why anyone would park at the deck to go to Park Tavern. There's parking right next to it, free on the street if you can get it, or just a few dollars on the future Beltline pad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgibs View Post
I was talking about route 109. Route 109 doesn't run any more on weekends. So route 36 will take me to Piedmont Park from the Midtown Marta station?
36 runs from Midtown Station down 10th before turning on Charles Allen. It gets you to within about 1000 feet of Park Tavern. But, like I said, it runs only once an hour on weekends, and every 40 minutes on weekdays. It's much more efficient to uber from the station if you don't want to walk.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:59 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
MARTA

Old 02-25-2018, 04:03 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Quote:
Not true. The walking distance from the deck to the tavern is approximately 3,000 feet. The distance from the Tavern to Midtown Station is right at one mile (5,280 feet), and to Arts Center is a minimum of 1.3 miles. I don't know why anyone would park at the deck to go to Park Tavern. There's parking right next to it, free on the street if you can get it, or just a few dollars on the future Beltline pad.
Note I said distance from MARTA to Piedmont Park, not Park Tavern.

Point is, a walk across Piedmont Park is about the same distance as a walk from MARTA to the edge of Piedmont Park.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Note I said distance from MARTA to Piedmont Park, not Park Tavern.

Point is, a walk across Piedmont Park is about the same distance as a walk from MARTA to the edge of Piedmont Park.
....okay

Old 02-26-2018, 06:33 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:

36 runs from Midtown Station down 10th before turning on Charles Allen. It gets you to within about 1000 feet of Park Tavern. But, like I said, it runs only once an hour on weekends, and every 40 minutes on weekdays. It's much more efficient to uber from the station if you don't want to walk.
Yes when focusing on pure distance it is longer, but part of what makes walking in denser cities (NYC, Boston, Europe) not feel like it's a long walk is there are things to look at, admire, sidewalk activity, etc. The walk from Midtown or Arts Center offer all of this and the 1-1.3 mile walk will not feel like it's that long (even though 1-1.3 miles is not far to walk at all.)

Old 02-26-2018, 06:48 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Yes when focusing on pure distance it is longer, but part of what makes walking in denser cities (NYC, Boston, Europe) not feel like it's a long walk is there are things to look at, admire, sidewalk activity, etc. The walk from Midtown or Arts Center offer all of this and the 1-1.3 mile walk will not feel like it's that long (even though 1-1.3 miles is not far to walk at all.)
Yes, there's plenty of diversion between Midtown Station and Park Tavern. I always enjoy walking that route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: