Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 02:17 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,796,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
That prime corner right at Lenox MARTA station deserves more density than a free-standing Houston's. So this is good news.
Bingo, mixed use tower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 02:47 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,877,389 times
We've gone so far off topic of Beretta's original post! I'll add that I love Houston's Caesar salads and rosemary focaccia.

The group that owns Houston's now has a gorgeous place on a lake down in Winter Park called Hillstone. We've really been wanting to check it out, but it's always packed when we go by.

Hillstone | Winter Park

Old 03-10-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The site on Lenox in front of this apartment tower is slated for a hotel.

All the other older buildings (including Houston's) will have to comply with SPI-12 when they are redeveloped. Among other things, that means bringing them up to the street. That also applies to the mall.

Lenox Road will get the Complete Streets treatment.

This is fantastic, arjay! I haven't seen this before now, and it makes me even more excited about Simon's hint that a big announcement for Lenox is coming soon.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:09 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,222,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
This is fantastic, arjay! I haven't seen this before now, and it makes me even more excited about Simon's hint that a big announcement for Lenox is coming soon.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qfvpuxvsf6...eport.pdf?dl=0

Whole vision for the area is pretty amazing.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:04 PM

32,009 posts, read 36,668,783 times
Quote:
We've gone so far off topic of Beretta's original post! I'll add that I love Houston's Caesar salads and rosemary focaccia.

The group that owns Houston's now has a gorgeous place on a lake down in Winter Park called Hillstone. We've really been wanting to check it out, but it's always packed when we go by.

Hillstone | Winter Park
With all due respect, JMatl, I don't believe the discussion is off topic. Houston's at Lenox is a 40 year Atlanta institution that was making money hand over fist. Its abrupt closing, especially given its prominent location, sparked lots of comment in the press, as well as a detailed response from Houston's itself. So I think it's natural for folks to wonder what happened and whether this portends some major development.

I love their Caesar, too, by the way.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
With all due respect, JMatl, I don't believe the discussion is off topic. Houston's at Lenox is a 40 year Atlanta institution that was making money hand over fist. Its abrupt closing, especially given its prominent location, sparked lots of comment in the press, as well as a detailed response from Houston's itself. So I think it's natural for folks to wonder what happened and whether this portends some major development.

I love their Caesar, too, by the way.

Perhaps off topic wasn't the correct thing to say, as I've really enjoyed this discussion very much. I just felt we veered off course...

I find it suspect that management claimed a lease issue was behind it, at any rate!

Old 03-10-2018, 06:22 PM

23,390 posts, read 43,926,501 times
Quote:
Perhaps off topic wasn't the correct thing to say, as I've really enjoyed this discussion very much. I just felt we veered off course...

I find it suspect that management claimed a lease issue was behind it, at any rate!
They did. That usually means that the owners have ulterior motives. Nothing on that corner is long for this world.

Old 03-10-2018, 06:32 PM

16,175 posts, read 32,416,669 times
Well, we were going to pop over to the bar earlier for cocktails and appetizer's but didn't make it. I wish Saturdays were longer.

I think part of what I will miss about this place closing is the memories. Going there with friends while still in school when we would come to the big city of Atlanta, dinner meetings, memorable occasions....

Yes, money talks. Development is about money. Time will tell what happens with the location. To everything there is a season. Nothing stays the same.

JMatl and arjay....it's all good.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:15 AM

927 posts, read 2,221,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Before Houston's there was Johnsontown.

One former African American community that didn’t require extensive research was Johnsontown, which survived after Lenox Square opened next door in 1959, only to be targeted in the late 1970s as the site for a MARTA parking deck.

“In those days, if they wanted your property, they’d condemn it and take it,” says Sam Sawyer, 85, then the pastor of Zion Hill Baptist Church in Johnsontown.

Fortunately, T.M. Alexander Jr., a Morehouse graduate and banker who’d served as the first president of the Atlanta Economic Development Corporation (now Invest Atlanta), volunteered his expertise in helping landowners negotiate settlements many times larger than their original offers. The neighborhood, which saw its first paved street only in its final years, was extensively documented as part of the Historic American Buildings Survey by the Library of Congress before it was razed.

Still, Sawyer laments, “If you go there now, you’d never know there had been a black community named Johnsontown.”

The lost communities: A preservation group unearths Buckhead
Wow thanks for sharing!

Old 03-13-2018, 02:23 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,222,992 times
Funny, I have never set foot in a Houston's. My impression has always been that of a generic fern restaurant with more of an "upscale" appeal. Is there a generational gap in appeal? I've never heard anyone my age talk about going there.

With that said, yall are making me think I should reconsider my opinions on Houstons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta