Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 12:22 PM

82 posts, read 81,956 times

Advertisements

I'm referring to the areas in and adjacent to Arthur Langford Parkway up until Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport as well as adjacent areas. While this area has seemed to be neglected for years to cater to the city region of Atlanta, with all of the recent developments underway in Atlanta, development is reaching a lot of key areas still within 15-20 minutes of the city.

This area is comprised of Southwest Atlanta, East Point, College Park ITP, and Hapeville.

Just recently, East Point has announced it's plan to develop it's own Beltline, which will be referred to as the East Point Path. Of course, anyone who is familiar with the landscape of the Atlanta would see that East Point is essentially still within Atlanta, only distinction being in the name. The project planning has been underway and the construction is expected to start within the next year or so. Some phase of the construction has already started (area where Southwest Atlanta and East Point meet).

The areas near #11 and #10 is where East Point meets Atlanta, specifically Campbellton Road, which has been slated for growth, beautification, and Beltline expansion. The areas near #15 and #16, is where Camp Creek Parkway currently lies, and is near the neighboorhood Princeton Lakes, a sub division in Atlanta (almost sub city at this point) which has just been voted one of the country's hottest areas. The area near #8 is Downtown College Park, which is a healthy area of South Atlanta ITP (lets refer to it as that), and is adjacent to Hapeville, which is expected to be a prime real estate location due to proximity and amenities.

Here is a link to the master plan: http://www.eastpointcity.org/wp-cont...an-Low-Res.pdf

Just recently, there was a groundbreaking announcement that the City of College Park ITP would be breaking ground on a new convention center which will host the Atlanta Hawk's G League Team, concerts, graduations, conferences, and everything in between. This will be called the Gateway Center at College Park. This arena is already located within the Georgia International Convention Center, which has had favorable opinions since it's opening, and hosts a range of amenities from hotels, to transit, to business space, to airport parking, to restaurants (few at this time however). This arena is expected to be finished in Fall 2019. The overall GICC isn't finished development plans yet either, just FYI.

The Aerotropolis Atlanta wait is no more. It is finally coming into fruition as we speak.

Now there a ton of plans with this one, but to summarize, the Board/investors want to make the area more walkable from the Airport to Camp Creek Marketplace. There are plans for restaurants, shops, recreation, multi use trail paths, beautification, easing of traffic, more residential units, more business centers and the area hopes to attract those who enjoy living in the city, but also want a sense of space and greenery. I really think Camp Creek Parkway will lead a lot of changes and transform this side of metro Atlanta. Think midtown Atlanta meets Southwest Fulton.

It doesn't stop there though, there are plans for at least 4 corridor improvements, road widening, beautification, infrastructure improvement and additions, and more.

Last but certainly not least...the AeroATL Greenway

Once just a thought, the AeroATL Greenway has picked up steam after the forwarding of the Atlanta Beltline, and in now in the midst of a $200k planning phase (not sure if the design phase is underway yet). The Greenway will essentially connect the areas closely bordering the perimeter with each other, as well as with the Atlanta Beltline itself.

The plan is to encourage more interconnectivity within metro Atlanta, specifically including the areas within 5-10 minutes of the airport. Think of it as the Atlanta Beltline's younger bigger brother.

Now this is just an overview of what I've been researching over the weeks, but more is definitely soon to come. I see this area as having enormous potential. Massive potential. Eventually, I expect residents of Atlanta ITP and surround areas to not have to use a car to get from the bit more northern and eastern parts of the City of Atlanta to the Aerotropolis/Airport area. I see new technology being tried within the areas that have a lot of building potential.

Also, just to mention, crime has gone down 20%-35% in the past 2-3 years alone within the target area, and cameras have been installed to encourage and maintain public safety as we begin to experience a more walkable, enjoyable Atlanta metro

In saying all of this, it may be time to start checking out those other areas within the South Atlanta metro that have been neglected/avoided for so long. I expect the real estate markets in the City of East Point, College Park ITP, Hapeville, and Southwest Atlanta (city) to all drastically look different in 4/5 years time. Prices are still reasonable within the College Park, East Point, and Atlanta surrounding areas. I would take a strong look at what happens with this area over the next few years. If everything goes according to plan, I think we have the East Coast's first futuristic city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 12:47 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
I agree. I just moved to East Point a few months ago, and the potential over here is off the charts. For a walkable area with a MARTA station (double frequency trains thanks to the split on the North end, making for very short waits), restaurants, bars, and services of all sorts, it's dirt cheap over here.

It's funny that local-interest websites like Curbed have entirely ignored East Point.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:13 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Residents will just complain about gentrification

Old 03-16-2018, 01:16 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Maybe it's finally East Point's time.

I don't know, back in the early 2000s, a lot of people bought there assuming it was going to do something along the lines of what O4W ended up doing.

It didn't.

Maybe it will now.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:50 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Maybe it's finally East Point's time.

I don't know, back in the early 2000s, a lot of people bought there assuming it was going to do something along the lines of what O4W ended up doing.

It didn't.

Maybe it will now.
Well, there was a little bit of a housing crash not long after that that interrupted the progress that was being made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta