Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2018, 09:34 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,912,899 times

Advertisements

My turn to figure this out - ha

I just got a job off of the North Ave Marta train station and want to use it for cummuting, after I sell my house in the burbs. I'm older so prefer a more mature demographic, more quiet than noise, a townhome over a condo. In order I'd like to have:

15 min walk to any train station
Townhome over condo
I can do a condo if I know the walls are well insulated from noise.

1. Budget - 130-200k (prefer to be at around 160)
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Townhome / condo
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - commute
4. Children(public school vs. private) - No kids
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - a good mix, urban first
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - I'm 44, so prefer a more laid back neighborhood with pubs, hole-in-the wall type places, maybe even more blue collar vibe, biking trails

especially interested in any new townhome developments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 01:16 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,376,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post

I just got a job off of the North Ave Marta train station and want to use it for cummuting, after I sell my house in the burbs. I'm older so prefer a more mature demographic, more quiet than noise, a townhome over a condo. In order I'd like to have:

Townhome over condo

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - a good mix, urban first
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - I'm 44, so prefer a more laid back neighborhood with pubs, hole-in-the wall type places, maybe even more blue collar vibe, biking trails

If there's a cool neighborhood with pubs, a decent urban vibe, and transit connectivity with new townhomes around $160k, I'd certainly like to know about it!

Old 03-17-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
If there's a cool neighborhood with pubs, a decent urban vibe, and transit connectivity with new townhomes around $160k, I'd certainly like to know about it!
yea no kidding

for some reason I'm thinking over in the West End, or somewhere around EAV. Minus the new townhome part

Old 03-17-2018, 10:55 PM

10,400 posts, read 11,566,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post

Townhome over condo

I did a quick glance on the Georgia MLS (Multiple Listing Service) website and found nothing fitting that criteria (of a new/newer construction townhome for no more than $200k in a laid-back urban neighborhood) currently listed... Something which is not really surprising given how competitive the metro Atlanta real estate market currently is.

The metro Atlanta townhome/condo market appears to be very competitively priced right now. Is there any way that you might be able to significantly increase your budget to get the type of housing option you desire?

Much more of the type of housing option that you desire (new/newer construction townhomes in cool laid-back neighborhoods with an urban vibe) seems to become available when over at least the $400k level, but especially over the $500k, $600k and $700k levels.

The higher your budget goes, the more of that type of option seems to become available in desirable urban neighborhoods in a very competitive metro Atlanta real estate market.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:45 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,795,029 times
Just a guess—-Not new, or a townhome, maybe you can find something around Kensington Marta Station—close to Marta, Avondale Estates, Decatur, and, if you live there, you can probably find some things you like on Memorial Drive, as well.. Just looking at Zillow, it looks like new infill is already around there, but there is a lot of cheap stuff as well—maybe find a solid small home, at a cheap price.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:35 AM

10,400 posts, read 11,566,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Just a guess—-Not new, or a townhome, maybe you can find something around Kensington Marta Station—close to Marta, Avondale Estates, Decatur, and, if you live there, you can probably find some things you like on Memorial Drive, as well.. Just looking at Zillow, it looks like new infill is already around there, but there is a lot of cheap stuff as well—maybe find a solid small home, at a cheap price.
The Avondale Estates area is a good place to look for a townhome.

On the Georgia MLS listings, I found about 4 new/newer townhomes in Avondale Estates (which is the next big thing after the City of Decatur for those who might be priced out of the City of Decatur)... Though the townhomes were priced in a range of between about $325k up to $620k.

$325k appeared to be the cheapest price for a new/newer townhome in a most desirable Intown area that I could find on the MLS listings on the Georgia MLS website.

I found townhomes for lower prices in Intown neighborhoods that are transitioning upwards, but most of them did not seem to really come all that close to the $200k and under price range that DaBurgh expressed a desire to stay under.

Hopefully DaBurgh might have some luck looking on Zillow or somewhere along those lines.

Last edited by Yac; 12-07-2020 at 01:52 AM..

Old 03-18-2018, 07:50 AM

Good info, thanks guys

I don't need to be directly in the urban areas, but easy access would be nice. Here is an example

https://www.georgiamls.com/1047-crow...-30083/8343877

I'm minutes away from the Indian Creek Station and then a short ride to downtown Decatur and other cool east side hoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta