Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 09:23 AM

1,005 posts, read 729,014 times

Advertisements

I wanted to create this thread because too much democratic stuff is drowning in conversations in the thread about GOP gubernatorial candidates. I thought this might be an interesting article to open with, since it is recent:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/darrensands...198#.btK2XRjNn

Quote:
Keisha Lance Bottoms plans to endorse in Georgia’s Democratic primary for governor “in the near future,” her office told BuzzFeed News, ending weeks of speculation over whether the newly elected and enormously popular Atlanta mayor might get involved in the most hotly contested intra-party, statewide race in the South.

Her office did not say which candidate she would endorse, but her intention to do so provides yet another layer of intrigue leading up to the May 22 primary between Stacey Abrams and Stacey Evans. The candidates hold contrasting views on how to expand the voter base in Georgia for Democrats as the party tries to capitalize on President Trump’s unpopularity. The fact that, if elected, Abrams would be the first black woman governor in US history has added to the race’s significance and complicated the intra-party politics.
(So the Democrats are OK with outside funding for Ossoff but not any gubernatorial candidate?)

Evans support of Deal's solution to failing schools and faith-based interests (such as the 10 Commandments at the Capitol) do not align at all with my values. If she address her politics related to stuff such as support for abortion or rethinking charters, she would then become a more competitive candidate for me. I'm currently behind Abrams for a number of reasons, but neither are ideal in my opinion. I would appreciate it if there were more reports about Evans because she seems to benefitting from "no press is good press," especially when the press finds race-related reporting (and therefore -everything Abrams-) more newsworthy.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:31 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
I wanted to create this thread because too much democratic stuff is drowning in conversations in the thread about GOP gubernatorial candidates. I thought this might be an interesting article to open with, since it is recent:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/darrensands...198#.btK2XRjNn

(So the Democrats are OK with outside funding for Ossoff but not any gubernatorial candidate?)

Evans support of Deal's solution to failing schools and faith-based interests (such as the 10 Commandments at the Capitol) do not align at all with my values. If she address her politics related to stuff such as support for abortion or rethinking charters, she would then become a more competitive candidate for me. I'm currently behind Abrams for a number of reasons, but neither are ideal in my opinion. I would appreciate it if there were more reports about Evans because she seems to benefitting from "no press is good press," especially when the press finds race-related reporting (and therefore -everything Abrams-) more newsworthy.
Georgia Dem Party are the ones who brought partisanship into the Atlanta Mayor race, when it is a non-partisan seat. Also, recruited outside Dems to campaign for KLB in the runoff.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:14 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
Evans support of Deal's solution to failing schools and faith-based interests (such as the 10 Commandments at the Capitol) do not align at all with my values.
She doesn't appear to be supportive of Deal at all with regard to education, and has been particular critical of Deal's 2011 move to roll back HOPE funding that negatively impacted students seeking a technical education.

"Sadly, as the first generation of HOPE scholars’ own children begin to think about college, they can no longer depend on its original promise. In 2011 the legislature voted to cut HOPE in devastating ways. The simple truth is that Governor Deal, the Republicans in the legislature, and anyone who voted with them broke the HOPE promise. These cuts caused thousands to drop out of school because they could no longer afford it."

https://staceyevans.com/hope-higher-education/

Her position on this makes a great deal of common sense, as do many of her policy points.
She looks pretty solid so far to me, focusing on the issues and exhibiting restraint when it comes to demagoguery and invective (How refreshing).
Stacey Abrams has shown me little in the way of a clear vision; mostly what I read is pie-in-the-sky generalities. Her main message in her TV ads seems to be how great it would be if we elected her because she would be the first black female governor in history. Sorry, Stacey A.; I need a better reason than that.

Right now Stacey Evans is my candidate. She especially impressed me when she was the first politico to go to the mat with the arrogant Mr. Cagle.

"Still, a Democrat in the Georgia gubernatorial race says Cagle may have broken anti-corruption laws by threatening Delta. Stacey Evans on Wednesday asked Georgia Attorney General Chris Carr to investigate Cagle’s remarks and see whether the lieutenant governor broke bribery or extortion laws."

You go, girl.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:41 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
She doesn't appear to be supportive of Deal at all with regard to education, and has been particular critical of Deal's 2011 move to roll back HOPE funding that negatively impacted students seeking a technical education.

"Sadly, as the first generation of HOPE scholars’ own children begin to think about college, they can no longer depend on its original promise. In 2011 the legislature voted to cut HOPE in devastating ways. The simple truth is that Governor Deal, the Republicans in the legislature, and anyone who voted with them broke the HOPE promise. These cuts caused thousands to drop out of school because they could no longer afford it."

https://staceyevans.com/hope-higher-education/

Her position on this makes a great deal of common sense, as do many of her policy points.
She looks pretty solid so far to me, focusing on the issues and exhibiting restraint when it comes to demagoguery and invective (How refreshing).
Stacey Abrams has shown me little in the way of a clear vision; mostly what I read is pie-in-the-sky generalities. Her main message in her TV ads seems to be how great it would be if we elected her because she would be the first black female governor in history. Sorry, Stacey A.; I need a better reason than that.

Right now Stacey Evans is my candidate. She especially impressed me when she was the first politico to go to the mat with the arrogant Mr. Cagle.

"Still, a Democrat in the Georgia gubernatorial race says Cagle may have broken anti-corruption laws by threatening Delta. Stacey Evans on Wednesday asked Georgia Attorney General Chris Carr to investigate Cagle’s remarks and see whether the lieutenant governor broke bribery or extortion laws."

You go, girl.
Evans supported state takeover of schools. Of course she lives in Cherokee Co where none of the schools were under threat.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:49 AM

1,005 posts, read 729,014 times
Iconographer: When I mentioned education and Evans, I specifically referenced failing schools and charters. She supported and was outspoken on Opportunity School Districts, which I absolutely abhor. In respect to Deal being very interested in pushing his OSD plans, she was quite supportive. Deal. I would definitely, maybe exponentially even, like Evans more if she did not believe in the prison system through prison reform (she should really just remove that tab) and if she clarified where she stood on the OSD/charter prioritization. Because whoever I have a kid with, their child will be viewed in our society as Black. And there's only so much parents can do to protect their kids. Prison and education are perhaps two of my biggest moral issues.

Higher education is a totally different conversation and yeah, as you said, HOPE is something we need to protect rather than rescind. https://www.myajc.com/news/500m-hope...xsYBuFBpxTk0I/ It's not as if we don't have money, it's just clear our current representatives do not want to give it. And for a scholarship that everyone stateside can benefit from (now in three forms) but is funded from the proceeds by those who play the lottery, largely POC poor and working-class folk, I really think HOPE can do more than it did even when I held it.

But anyway, I remember finding it refreshing that Abrams' website doesn't list an overwhelming amount of priorities and I take that as being succinct and focused.

There are things they agree on: bettering pre-K, childcare, public schools, women's rights, small business development... I would really like to know the nuanced differences though. Like, for a gubernatorial competition, they are not quite engaging each other at all (except for Abrams negotiating HOPE) except in remarks to campaigns.

Cqholt:
You're absolutely right. And it could be that KLB endorses Evans and some folk will feel betrayed. But Evans also endorsed KLB and no one cannot convince me that she did not do it for campaign reasons. The Democratic Party is messy.

If I am stuck with voting between Cagle and Evans, of course I'd vote for Evans. But I'd rather have a preference for once to vote for.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:05 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
The first sentence in this article contains a glaring fallacy, calling into question the whole article's merit.

Keisha Lance Bottoms plans to endorse in Georgia’s Democratic primary for governor “in the near future,” her office told BuzzFeed News, ending weeks of speculation over whether the newly elected and enormously popular Atlanta mayor might get involved in the most hotly contested intra-party, statewide race in the South.

Where are they getting the idea that she's enormously popular? She barely won her election, and she's basically been a non-entity so far.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:06 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Evans supported state takeover of schools. Of course she lives in Cherokee Co where none of the schools were under threat.
I thought she lives in Smyrna?

Old 03-16-2018, 12:39 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,855 times
You have to run candidates that match the voters. Conor Lamb should be a lesson. He's clearly an democrat, pro Union, pro healthcare, but came across moderate and won a +20 trump district.

I'm sure Abrams would be great, and there's no question she's more progressive. I just worry she's too progressive for Georgia at this time and we will squander our chance and end up with one of the GOP nutjobs for 8 more years.

Even if Evans somehow wins the primary, I feel the progressive wing will once again shoot themselves in the foot and go against her, handing a win to the GOP candidate. If there's one thing I admire about Republicans, it's that they know what's important when it's time to vote, and don't make some dramatic show of casting a protest vote or not voting at all when their preferred candidate loses the primary.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:10 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,314,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
She does. We have seen her with her family in the Jonquil Publix, and talked to her at length when she knocked on our front door while running for re-election to her old seat. I am looking forward to voting for her.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:38 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
She does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta