Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 07:17 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times

Advertisements

Yet another ill-informed, mis-informed, effectively caricatured take on anything not ATL. No doubt ATL Metro is the economic engine, which in turns draws the most in-migration. Well known fact, not news since, oh the early 1990s. So, why continually go down such a divisive road?

P.S. I live in the metro-area, but shamefully not in the ATL itself. <sarcasm alert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 07:33 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Yet another ill-informed, mis-informed, effectively caricatured take on anything not ATL. No doubt ATL Metro is the economic engine, which in turns draws the most in-migration. Well known fact, not news since, oh the early 1990s. So, why continually go down such a divisive road?

P.S. I live in the metro-area, but shamefully not in the ATL itself. <sarcasm alert
Are you saying that discussion of the fact that 80% of newcomers to Georgia settle in metro Atlanta is divisive?

Old 04-01-2018, 07:37 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
Quote:

Sir the division started with your State government, hence bottleneck of things that should have been funding and done by the State of Georgia twenty years ago.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:04 AM

No, the other comments, that have nothing to do with the ATL Metro being the growth engine and does the in-migration magnet of the state. As I noted in my original post.

See? "No doubt ATL Metro is the economic engine, which in turns draws the most in-migration. Well known fact, not news since, oh the early 1990s."

Do you disagree about my point of the other -no-growth related - comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Are you saying that discussion of the fact that 80% of newcomers to Georgia settle in metro Atlanta is divisive?

Old 04-01-2018, 08:11 AM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

The longer they remain in Atlanta, the more they will come to know about what the rest of the state offers, which is natural; it is doubtful if annual events such as the Apple Festival in Ellijay or the Dahlonega Gold Rush or Oktoberfest in Helen would be nearly as successful without the hordes of visitors from metro Atlanta. I'm not sure if this is already done, but outside of those annual events, perhaps the state tourism board should start highlighting other places in Georgia to visit all around metro Atlanta, outside of the big events like the ones I mentioned. Showcase those towns on billboards around the metro, in TV commercials, etc.

(See bolded above)

I agree. The state definitely needs to start doing this more. It should be a state tourism board priority. Good economically for non-Metro Atlanta Georgia, and good for Metro Atlantans (especially transplants and newcomers) to get to know the plethora of hidden jewels in this state.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:13 AM

I see we both live in Georgia. So, it is our, your's and mine state government. You might want to look at what the historical party balance has looked like over the past twenty years. Though, you do underscore my point about caricaturing in political discussion.

Ballotpedia is really clear about this. https://ballotpedia.org/Party_contro...ate_government

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Sir the division started with your State government, hence bottleneck of things that should have been funding and done by the State of Georgia twenty years ago.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I see we both live in Georgia. So, it is our, your's and mine state government...

https://youtu.be/ALrNcukcaag

Old 04-01-2018, 08:41 AM

Sorry, but you will have to summarize the thought first. I'll look at the youtube, after you do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

Old 04-01-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but you will have to summarize the thought first. I'll look at the youtube, after you do.
No.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:31 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,993 times
We have sort of gotten side-tracked a bit here.
One thrust of the info in the original link that has been largely overlooked in the discussion thus far is that the non metro Atlanta, i.e. out-state areas of Georgia, are generally performing much more poorly both economically speaking & in terms of population growth & retention than they did in recent prior decades.
That fact is reflected in the considerable slow down in the estimated numerical gain for the state to this point in the census estimates. At the rate of growth achieved thus far by Georgia during this decade, the state will have a noticeably smaller full decade numerical increase than it did in the 1990's & in the most recent full decade. Also, the per cent of increase will be sharply lower.
As a side note, with the exception of Florida & South Carolina, our neighboring states similarly are not performing as well in growth as in their recent past. Curiously, Alabama is almost a basket case as a very slow grower despite it's considerable success in attracting new investment & jobs in the automobile industry. As such, it reflects the very poor growth statistics of the other central mid-south states.

Last edited by atler8; 04-01-2018 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: left out a word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta