Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 09:18 AM

5 posts, read 8,830 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are new to Georgia and are trying to determine where to live. We are both in our 30s, no kids (although thinking about having kids within the next 5 years), and both work. One of us will be working in Gwinnett and the other will be working in the city (close to Inman Park). Commute wise, we need something in the middle! We are thinking about Brookhaven vs. North Druid Hills. We don't know much about these two areas, so we would appreciate as much input as possible!

In terms of type of housing, I think a townhome would be best. Budget under $500,000. Something close to I-85 would be ideal. My main thing is I don't want to live in a very crowded area that will be a nightmare traffic-wise! And also, safety is up there as well.

We don't know much about these two areas, so we would appreciate as much input as possible! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 09:20 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Sounds like Brookhaven would be good fit for you.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:29 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,351,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 301DML10 View Post
Hello everyone,

My husband and I are new to Georgia and are trying to determine where to live. We are both in our 30s, no kids (although thinking about having kids within the next 5 years), and both work. One of us will be working in Gwinnett and the other will be working in the city (close to Inman Park). Commute wise, we need something in the middle! We are thinking about Brookhaven vs. North Druid Hills. We don't know much about these two areas, so we would appreciate as much input as possible!

In terms of type of housing, I think a townhome would be best. Budget under $500,000. Something close to I-85 would be ideal. My main thing is I don't want to live in a very crowded area that will be a nightmare traffic-wise! And also, safety is up there as well.

We don't know much about these two areas, so we would appreciate as much input as possible! Thank you!

North Druid Hills/Clairmont Rd area has plenty of new construction townhomes in the 500k range.

You are going to encounter traffic in those areas it is unavoidable. It is also a safe area with plenty of grocery stores,restaurants,retail.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:58 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Either neighborhood has a ton of choices if you're looking for townhouses in your price range. I currently have a home in NDH and like it very much. If I had any complaint it would be the horrendous traffic you will encounter on N.Druid Hills Rd. It will only become worse due to the construction of the massive Children's Healthcare of Atlanta facility at NDH and I-85.
If I were looking for a townhouse community in the area, I simply would not consider one whose entry and exit was limited to NDH Rd. south of I-85.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:59 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Either neighborhood has a ton of choices if you're looking for townhouses in your price range. I currently have a home in NDH and like it very much. If I had any complaint it would be the horrendous traffic you will encounter on N.Druid Hills Rd. It will only become worse due to the construction of the massive Children's Healthcare of Atlanta facility at NDH and I-85.
If I were looking for a townhouse community in the area, I simply would not consider one whose entry and exit was limited to NDH Rd. south of I-85.
I agree. I would look in both Brookhaven and N. Druid Hills and shop for a property with easy access in and out and as much walkability as you can find. There are pockets of walkability in both areas.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:14 PM

5 posts, read 8,830 times
Thank you all for your responses.

Would you say the traffic is worse on the North Druid Hills side than the Brookhaven area?

Old 04-10-2018, 07:38 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 301DML10 View Post
Thank you all for your responses.

Would you say the traffic is worse on the North Druid Hills side than the Brookhaven area?
I would. NDH Rd. is a major artery between the central and south Gwinnett suburbs and north Atlanta commercial hubs. Also, Emory/CDC/Clifton Corridor is a major employment center with no rail service (yet) and no immediate freeway access. This has a large bearing on local traffic as well.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:59 PM

454 posts, read 820,983 times
I would go Brookhaven and also take a look at some of the new townhomes in Chamblee which is also becoming a great area.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:22 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Quote:
I would say it heavily depends on where you need to go.

In my experience, access to I-85 is generally easier on the west side of N. Druid Hills than from the east side. On Clairmont....I'm not sure.

I find traffic much more bearable on the west side. But that may be because you have nice, wide roads like Buford Highway and Peachtree Industrial that flow pretty well. On the east side, you've got narrower roads that can easily get backed up just because one person is trying to make a left. That drives me out of my mind.

Of course, if you need to get to and from the Emory area, that will be easier from the east side. It all depends where you are going.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:48 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Clairmont Rd typically flows much better than N Druid Hills Rd, which is notorious for traffic. But everything everywhere can get pretty bad at rush hours.

I personally like the Briarcliff Rd corridor south of I-85. Not a huge Brookhaven fan, but it's fine. Mainly I just don't like the way the roads are laid out on that side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta