Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 06:50 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Apart, yes. A part, no.
Thank you, this is one of my pet peeves. Wouldn't let me rep you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 08:36 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
There's a difference between a 20 - 30 mile 1 hour commute in traffic where as on a bad day it may be an hour and some change versus an 60 - 80 mile commute where as a bad day can take easily 2 or more hours. (Distance from Downtown Macon to Hartsfield Jackson is 72 Miles, if you live north of downtown: shorter, south of downtown: longer.) The hour predicted in the commute from Macon to the Airport is a MINIMUM time assuming EVERYTHING IS GOOD... versus the hour predicted in commute from many of Atlanta's suburbs to the Airport is based on average Atlanta traffic. where as a good day could take less.

On top of which driving 160 miles round trip incurs much heavier fuel expenses, maintenance and generally isn't ideal as your commute just by nature is unreliable. It would be unlikely an employer would hire someone who lived so far away from the Metro.
Not necessarily.

I had co-workers who commuted from Macon when I worked out of the Atlanta Airport.

One guy that I worked with would drive up to Atlanta from Macon in the evenings to work out of the Atlanta Airport as his second job.

So there are people who commute to Atlanta from as far away as Macon (and beyond) for employment on a daily basis.

Heck, roughly about 17-18 years ago or so, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported about a guy who commuted to metro Atlanta to work at the erstwhile General Motors plant in Doraville from Murphy, North Carolina (about 120 miles each way) for over 30 years.

The guy would leave Murphy, NC (in the mountains of rural southwestern North Carolina) each morning no later than 5am to be at work by 8am just simply because there were no jobs in that rural area that paid the kind of wage that GM paid.

It is desirable to commute from as far as 80-100 miles away for work? No... But it does happen and not just in Atlanta.

In larger and more established metros like Chicago, Boston, Los Angeles, the Bay Area, New York, there are people to commute to work in the core parts of those metro areas from as far away as 100 miles one-way and beyond.

The Chicago area has a commuter rail line (the Chicago-South Shore) that operates over a distance of over 90 miles each way between Downtown Chicago and South Bend, Indiana which is basically a distant exurb of Chicago with the South Shore exurban commuter rail line.

In the New York area the MTA Metro North Railroad Port Jervis exurban commuter rail line operates over a distance of over 97 miles each way between Upstate New York West of the Hudson River and Manhattan.

The Montauk Branch of the MTA Long Island Railroad operates over a distance of 117 miles each way between Manhattan and the eastern end of Long Island.

People who commute to and from work each day over such long distances (of up to 100 miles each way or more) are called "super commuters" and they are not necessarily as uncommon as we might think.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:43 PM

11,791 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Not necessarily.

I had co-workers who commuted from Macon when I worked out of the Atlanta Airport.

One guy that I worked with would drive up to Atlanta from Macon in the evenings to work out of the Atlanta Airport as his second job.

So there are people who commute to Atlanta from as far away as Macon (and beyond) for employment on a daily basis.

Heck, roughly about 17-18 years ago or so, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported about a guy who commuted to metro Atlanta to work at the erstwhile General Motors plant in Doraville from Murphy, North Carolina (about 120 miles each way) for over 30 years.

The guy would leave Murphy, NC (in the mountains of rural southwestern North Carolina) each morning no later than 5am to be at work by 8am just simply because there were no jobs in that rural area that paid the kind of wage that GM paid.

It is desirable to commute from as far as 80-100 miles away for work? No... But it does happen and not just in Atlanta.

In larger and more established metros like Chicago, Boston, Los Angeles, the Bay Area, New York, there are people to commute to work in the core parts of those metro areas from as far away as 100 miles one-way and beyond.

The Chicago area has a commuter rail line (the Chicago-South Shore) that operates over a distance of over 90 miles each way between Downtown Chicago and South Bend, Indiana which is basically a distant exurb of Chicago with the South Shore exurban commuter rail line.

In the New York area the MTA Metro North Railroad Port Jervis exurban commuter rail line operates over a distance of over 97 miles each way between Upstate New York West of the Hudson River and Manhattan.

The Montauk Branch of the MTA Long Island Railroad operates over a distance of 117 miles each way between Manhattan and the eastern end of Long Island.

People who commute to and from work each day over such long distances (of up to 100 miles each way or more) are called "super commuters" and they are not necessarily as uncommon as we might think.
TRUUUUE yes they do exist (although if commuting from 100+ miles away to Chicago, you still have more options than just driving, like from South Bend Indiana you can take the South Shore Railway, I believe you can also take the train from Milwaukee Wisconsin to Chicago as well.. long train ride yes but not white knuckled gripped and frustrating drive that will wear both you and your vehicle out).. My furthest commute was when I was working 2 jobs while living in Conyers... Drove from Conyers to Marietta.. ..then Marietta to Athens.. and Athens to Conyers... before I had a car accident and lost both jobs.

Anyway

I should say that... the likelyhood of the average job taking you in is significantly reduced. Many jobs here hesitate when I apply for someplace in Smyrna or Marietta when I tell them I'm in Gwinnett and are practically wanting me to sign something confirming I'm willing to commute that far (not literally) and I don't really consider that FAR, but I know alot of employers who are fickle about where you commute from and especially, how you get there (transit or car)

When I commuted from Gwinnett to Kennesaw, it didn't matter when I left...I was GAURUNTEED to hit traffic on atleast 1 of 3 interstates I took. (I-85, I-285, I-75) and my hour commute could easily turn into 2 or more hours if conditions were bad.

For Macon I can easily see the Airport hiring someone from there, because the Airport is on the southern side of Atlanta.. but if say he were to be working in Alpharetta..it might be alot harder to get that to fly.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 04-11-2018 at 04:07 PM..

Old 04-11-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
TRUUUUE yes they do exist (although if commuting from 100+ miles away to Chicago, you still have more options than just driving, like from South Bend Indiana you can take the South Shore Railway, I believe you can also take the train from Milwaukee Wisconsin to Chicago as well.. long train ride yes but not white knuckled gripped and frustrating drive that will wear both you and your vehicle out).. My furthest commute was when I was working 2 jobs while living in Conyers... Drove from Conyers to Marietta.. ..then Marietta to Athens.. and Athens to Conyers... before I had a car accident and lost both jobs.

Anyway

I should say that... the likelyhood of the average job taking you in is significantly reduced. Many jobs here hesitate when I apply for someplace in Smyrna or Marietta when I tell them I'm in Gwinnett and are practically wanting me to sign something confirming I'm willing to commute that far (not literally) and I don't really consider that FAR, but I know alot of employers who are fickle about where you commute from and especially, how you get there (transit or car)

When I commuted from Gwinnett to Kennesaw, it didn't matter when I left...I was GAURUNTEED to hit traffic on atleast 1 of 3 interstates I took. (I-85, I-285, I-75) and my hour commute could easily turn into 2 or more hours if conditions were bad.

For Macon I can easily see the Airport hiring someone from there, because the Airport is on the southern side of Atlanta.. but if say he were to be working in Alpharetta..it might be alot harder to get that to fly.
Well I don't know if Alpharetta might be as tough of a sell for an employer at the airport as it might seem to be.

When I worked at the Atlanta Airport I had a co-worker that commuted to work from Roswell, which is almost just as far away as Alpharetta.

I also had other co-workers who commuted from as far away as Cedartown (in Polk County in exurban Northwest Georgia) and Lawrenceville (in Gwinnett County just beyond the junction of Georgia highways 316 and 120).

The trip for the co-worker who commuted to work at the Airport from Roswell was about 34 miles one-way.

The trip for the co-worker who commuted to work at the Airport from Lawrenceville was about 43 miles one-way.

The trip for the co-worker who commuted to work at the Airport from Cedartown was about over 65 miles each way.

I also have a cousin that commuted over 50 miles each way between their home up in Woodstock in Cherokee County and their job off of I-675 down in Ellenwood in Clayton County for many years.

So even commutes from the far-Northside to Southside do happen.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Anyway

Quote:
Well I don't know if Alpharetta might be as tough of a sell for an employer at the airport as it might seem to be.

When I worked at the Atlanta Airport I had a co-worker that commuted to work from Roswell, which is almost just as far away as Alpharetta.

I also had other co-workers who commuted from as far away as Cedartown (in Polk County in exurban Northwest Georgia) and Lawrenceville (in Gwinnett County just beyond the junction of Georgia highways 316 and 120).

The trip for the co-worker who commuted to work at the Airport from Roswell was about 34 miles one-way.

The trip for the co-worker who commuted to work at the Airport from Lawrenceville was about 43 miles one-way.

The trip for the co-worker who commuted to work at the Airport from Cedartown was about over 65 miles each way.

I also have a cousin that commuted over 50 miles each way between their home up in Woodstock in Cherokee County and their job off of I-675 down in Ellenwood in Clayton County for many years.

I should also add that the primary reason that the co-worker of mine that commuted from Lawrenceville to the Airport did so was because of the very high quality of the schools in Gwinnett County.

The co-worker of mine who commuted from Cedartown to the Airport did so because they liked the outer-exurban/rural small-town lifestyle that the area offered.

While my cousin who commuted from Woodstock to Ellenwood for work for many years did so because of the high quality of the schools and because of the low rates of crime in Cherokee County.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:44 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Honestly I kind of have a hard time considering Barnesville and Griffin as apart of the MSA as well, both of those are quite a ways out. Griffin I can "kind of" see... but just barely. Barnesville, no way. I don't consider anything west of Vila Rica as Atlanta either, same goes for anything north of Cartersville, Canton, or Cumming.
They are part of metro but not regular suburbs they are exurbs.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-T0GHdxu6DS...00/Atlanta.jpg

Old 04-12-2018, 05:47 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,184,962 times
Although this map is from 2003 I believe the only changes since then is that Metro Atlanta has added a few exurban counties.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:30 AM

11,791 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Quote:

I was meaning Alpharetta to Macon

In hindsight I was reminded of a commute a friend of mine made from Fayetteville to Cumming. Nooooot for me.

Lately I have been visiting Fayetteville and Griffin approximately once or twice a week... its about 150 miles round trip to Griffin and back from where I live. Fayetteville is about 120 miles round trip from where I live.. both cities if I go there I pretty much plan to stay there the rest of the day as I have no chance at beating traffic on my return trip.

That drive is rough.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Alpharetta to Macon???!!!!

Unless someone's place of employment moved from Alpharetta to Macon, I don't know if I would necessarily see many people executing that type of commute just simply because Alpharetta (along with much of the Northside of greater metro Atlanta) is a larger employment hub and investment magnet than Macon.

I guess that I could see a situation where someone drove semi tractor trailers for a living, had a residence in Alpharetta and drove to their truck company's offices in Macon, though I think that kind of situation might be kind of rare... Not totally non-existent, but rare.

When I was a kid, I had an uncle that drove trucks that would commute over 90 miles from his house in Indianapolis, Indiana up to the town of Remington in Northwest Indiana to report to work and pick up his truck. So commutes like that are not necessarily completely uncommon.

Though, I guess that I could better envision someone being motivated to conduct a daily commute from Macon to Alpharetta just simply because there are many more higher-paying jobs in heavily populated and heavily developed North metro Atlanta than there are in a much more sparsely populated area like Macon and Middle/Central Georgia.

Though he has a studio setup in his home that he often uses and though it is not quite as far as a Macon-Alpharetta commute, notable conservative talk show host Erick Erickson is an example of someone who does often commute from his home in Macon in Central Georgia up to his place of employment at the offices and studios of WSB radio in Midtown Atlanta, a distance of nearly 90 miles each way.

Quote:
In hindsight I was reminded of a commute a friend of mine made from Fayetteville to Cumming. Nooooot for me.

Lately I have been visiting Fayetteville and Griffin approximately once or twice a week... its about 150 miles round trip to Griffin and back from where I live. Fayetteville is about 120 miles round trip from where I live.. both cities if I go there I pretty much plan to stay there the rest of the day as I have no chance at beating traffic on my return trip.

That drive is rough.
Yeah, those types of long commutes are not really for anybody... Until they find themselves doing it out of some kind of necessity at some point or another.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:07 PM

132 posts, read 144,173 times
Quote:

That drive is rough.
There is always terrible traffic on 75 just south of the airport. I went up there for a job interview (looking to relocate and get out of Macon) and it took almost 2.5 hours to get home from Sandy Springs because of traffic when I left at 3. There was an accident SB on 75 in McDonough, and it horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta