Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 06:26 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,835,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Cobb county has great schools. Cobb county has a few areas with high high concentrations of poor students and additionally, regardless of how good the schools are in Cobb, many parents sadly send their children to private schools because they are rich and can afford it. Therefore, test scores won't properly reflect how good Cobb county's educational system is. It's probably the best in the metro area and if not that definitely up near the top of the list. East Cobb, West Cobb, Vinings and Marietta especially.
It's not even close.

Cherokee and Forsyth are the best, guaranteed, in terms of entire school systems. As a whole, Bartow County is light years ahead of Cobb, too.

The Good:

Cherokee
Forsyth
Bartow
Coweta
Fayette
Paulding

The Bad:

Cobb
Gwinnett
Fulton
Rockdale
Newton
Douglas
Henry

The Ugly:

City of Atlanta
Dekalb
Clayton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 08:23 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
It's not even close.

Cherokee and Forsyth are the best, guaranteed, in terms of entire school systems. As a whole, Bartow County is light years ahead of Cobb, too.

The Good:

Cherokee
Forsyth
Bartow
Coweta
Fayette
Paulding

The Bad:

Cobb
Gwinnett
Fulton
Rockdale
Newton
Douglas
Henry

The Ugly:

City of Atlanta
Dekalb
Clayton
Although I'm no expert in metro area schools, I did do a good bit of research a year ago before moving here, and I would take some exception to your listings.

Paulding schools better than Cobb? I don't think so. Sure there are some Cobb schools that aren't as good as others, but to list Cobb in the "bad schools" category is just ignoring facts. Same with Fulton. Sure there are some Fulton schools less good, but almost all of the north Fulton schools are very highly rated and rank among the best in the state (as do many Cobb schools).

What are the excellent schools in Paulding and Bartow Counties? Are you equating good with all white?

Old 05-11-2008, 08:34 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,462 times
I have to agree with Netdragon. To put Cobb and Fulton in the ugly category is ridiculous. How about some facts and test scores to back up your irresponsible comments?

Old 05-11-2008, 09:38 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
I have to agree with Netdragon. To put Cobb and Fulton in the ugly category is ridiculous. How about some facts and test scores to back up your irresponsible comments?
Scraper doesn't go by facts and test scores- he goes by demographics- more than 95% white = excellent schools- don't you know that????

Old 05-11-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Although I'm no expert in metro area schools, I did do a good bit of research a year ago before moving here, and I would take some exception to your listings.

Paulding schools better than Cobb? I don't think so. Sure there are some Cobb schools that aren't as good as others, but to list Cobb in the "bad schools" category is just ignoring facts. Same with Fulton. Sure there are some Fulton schools less good, but almost all of the north Fulton schools are very highly rated and rank among the best in the state (as do many Cobb schools).

What are the excellent schools in Paulding and Bartow Counties? Are you equating good with all white?
While there are some good schools in Cobb and North Fulton, I'm talking about the county as a whole.

When talking about schools, you've not only got to consider school results (CRCT scores), but you also have to consider school environment; what type of environment is least disruptive toward teachers being able to teach, as well as what environment is less likely to interrupt a child's learning process.

I take tremendous exception with Cobb County Schools, as a whole, as a majority of the middle schools are poor in school environment.

Lindley Middle: Extremely disruptive
Floyd Middle: Very Disruptive
Garrett Middle: Very Disruptive
Tapp Middle: Disruptive
Campbell Middle: Very Disruptive
Griffin Middle: Very Disruptive
East Cobb Middle: Disruptive
Cooper Middle: Very Disruptive
Barber Middle: Very Disruptive
Awtrey Middle: Disruptive
Daniel Middle: Disruptive
Lovingood Middle: okay
Palmer Middle: okay
Pine Mountain Middle: Okay
Smitha Middle: Very Disruptive
McClure Middle: Orderly
Dodgen Middle: Orderly
Hightower Trail Middle: Orderly
Simpson Middle: Orderly
McClesky Middle: Okay
Mabry Middle: Orderly
Dickerson Middle: Orderly
Durham Middle: Orderly
Lost Mountain Middle: Orderly

How do I know? I know many teachers at these schools.

Let's See:

1 Extremely Disruptive Middle School
7 Very Disruptive Middle Schools
4 Generally Disruptive Middle Schools
4 Okay Middle Schools
8 Orderly Middle Schools

Thus, there are more disorderly middle schools than there are orderly middle schools.

Last edited by Scraper Enthusiast; 05-11-2008 at 07:06 PM..

Old 05-11-2008, 06:48 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
How do I know? I know many teachers at these schools.
Forgive me for my skepticism, and I mean no disrespect here, but you expect me to believe that you're basing your opinion of the Cobb County Schools based on a rating system that you alone devised based on anecdotes from your buddies who teach in these schools? And you're serious?

BTW...I'm dying to see how my children's middle school rates, but you omitted it. Don't you know anyone who teaches at Pine Mtn Middle? I would rate it as "kinda orderly...except when the order gets disrupted".

Old 05-11-2008, 07:31 PM

The following Cobb Middle Schools according to percent meeting proficiency on the CRCT MATH test:

*Note: Proficiency means that a student has answered 50% of the test items correctly. Not a hard feat to accomplish, especially if you've paid attention throughout the school year.

Orderly: (Average: 95.5%)

Hightower Trail Middle Math: 99%
Dickerson Middle Math: 98%
Dodgen Middle Math: 95%
McClure Middle Math: 88%
Lost Mountain Middle Math: 95%
Simpson Middle Math: 97%
Mabry Middle Math: 98%
Durham Middle Math: 94%

Okay: (Average: 89%)

Palmer Middle Math: 88%
Pine Mountain Middle Math: 87%
McCleskey Middle Math: 90%
Lovingood Middle Math: 91%

Disruptive: (Average: 87.67%)

East Cobb Middle Math: 82%
Awtrey Middle Math: 92%
Daniell Middle Math: 89%
Tapp Middle Not Available

Very Disruptive: (Average: 74.42%)

Floyd Middle Math: 71%
Garrett Middle Math: 80%
Smitha Middle Math: 70%
Griffin Middle Math: 69%
Campbell Middle Math: 71%
Barber Middle Math: 84%
Cooper Middle Math: 76%

Extremely Disruptive: (Average: 68%)

Lindley Middle Math: 68%

Old 05-11-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Forgive me for my skepticism, and I mean no disrespect here, but you expect me to believe that you're basing your opinion of the Cobb County Schools based on a rating system that you alone devised based on anecdotes from your buddies who teach in these schools? And you're serious?

BTW...I'm dying to see how my children's middle school rates, but you omitted it. Don't you know anyone who teaches at Pine Mtn Middle? I would rate it as "kinda orderly...except when the order gets disrupted".
I didn't omit it. It's up there.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:45 PM

By Comparison:

Cherokee County Average (89.5)

Booth Middle: Math 91%
Creekland Middle: Math 94%
Freedom Middle: Math 92%
Rusk Middle: Math 90%
Teasley Middle: Math 82%
Woodstock Middle: Math 88%

By Comparison, Cobb County's average score is: 85.74%

Old 05-11-2008, 08:01 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,218 times
By another comparison, Cherokee County has only six middle schools in total. The average score from Cobb's six highest-scoring middle schools is 97, a score that's well above the best score in Cherokee.

Cherokee has a much smaller and more homogeneous population than Cobb, and likely does not have pockets of poverty comparable with what some Cobb schools have to contend with. However, the test scores in Cobb's most socially advantaged areas are clearly better than Cherokee's best. Not that test scores are a be-all and end-all. Still, your claims seem not well supported by the facts you supplied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta