Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2008, 09:46 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,807,983 times

Advertisements

Dear Gawd geez almighty, it's already started!

Been here over 22 years and it seems to get worse every-other year. Here it is just barely past mid March and today I've sneezed around 114 times already. Even Benadryl is having a minimal effect (other than doping me up).

I'm going to guess that this is going to be a worse than normal year for those of us who suffer from pollen allergies, and going to be very interesting to those who move into the area who aren't used to it. http://bestsmileys.com/sick/9.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 04:58 AM

894 posts, read 4,341,600 times
This is our 2nd spring here. I thought last year was really bad. I am not finding it too bad this year. I grew up in Ct, always had pollen allergies, then moved to FL in 1980. Then it moved to dust/mold allergies.

What helps me is "douching" my nose every morning and every night with a saline rinse. I Also try to stay away from refined/sugary foods. They wreck havoc on your immune system, which in turn lowers resistance to colds, allergies, etc.

Hope you feel better, I know that when I sneeze any more than 4 times, it goes into a full blown sinus infection for me. Not to mention how exhausting it becomes.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:48 AM

162 posts, read 682,259 times
This is the first year in the 15 years that I've been in GA that I am totally having problems with the pollen. I have been sneezing, coughing, gagging like crazy for the past 2 weeks, not to mention the clogged nose and post nasal drip. I've been on every anitihistomine you can image. I am making an appointment with the Allergy Clinic, I need help.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:02 PM

894 posts, read 4,341,600 times
Before you spend oodles of $ at the Clinic, go to the health food store and get the best Oil of Oregano they sell. It's about 15-20 bux for a small bottle. I warn you, that is nasty in taste, but google oil of oregano and you will see that it is a natural antibiodic, natural anti-inflamatory and a natural antihistamine. Take a full dropful during pollen season and a couple of drops when you feel like you are getting sick the rest of the year. You can chase it back with some OJ if the taste does not agree with you. And it probably won't. But it rocks!

Feel better!

Old 03-28-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Cobb View Post
This is the first year in the 15 years that I've been in GA that I am totally having problems with the pollen. I have been sneezing, coughing, gagging like crazy for the past 2 weeks, not to mention the clogged nose and post nasal drip. I've been on every anitihistomine you can image. I am making an appointment with the Allergy Clinic, I need help.
Keep in mind that in order to do those allergy tests, they have to stick you with tons of needles in order to pinpoint exactly what stuff you're allergic to. Then, supposedly on some folks it can take up to two years for your immune system to adjust once you start taking the shots. In other words, you won't get instant relief by that type of doc visit.

Regarding ready's comment - I'll have to check into Oil of Oregano. I've never heard that one before. Worth a try. Hope it doesn't taste like pee on a radiator smells, though. ick.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:49 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,264,755 times
But the good news is that Zyrtec went over the counter about a month ago!! Instead of $75 for a 30 day supply, it's $25 for a 45 day supply. Woohoo!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
But the good news is that Zyrtec went over the counter about a month ago!! Instead of $75 for a 30 day supply, it's $25 for a 45 day supply. Woohoo!
I've seen it at Costco, but does it work any better than Benadryl? I've tried Clarityn.. tylenol sinus and allergy.. etc., and none of them work nearly as well as Benadryl (and even it doesn't work great with some types of pollen attacks). But Benedryl has some pretty hefty side effects - great if you want to feel like you're going to Mars all day.. not so good for driving, etc.

Have you actually tried Zyrtec yet? How'd it work if so?

Old 03-29-2008, 07:01 AM

162 posts, read 682,259 times
I absolutely can't function on Benadryl, I'll give the Oil of Oregano a try. I don't care what it taste like if it works I'll deal with it. Thanks guys off to the herb shop I go.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:07 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,264,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I've seen it at Costco, but does it work any better than Benadryl? I've tried Clarityn.. tylenol sinus and allergy.. etc., and none of them work nearly as well as Benadryl (and even it doesn't work great with some types of pollen attacks). But Benedryl has some pretty hefty side effects - great if you want to feel like you're going to Mars all day.. not so good for driving, etc.

Have you actually tried Zyrtec yet? How'd it work if so?
I've been using prescription Zyrtec for years. Everyone reacts differently to different allergy medications, but Zyrtec is the only one that has ever worked for me without making me sleepy (and kind of loopy). I can't promise it will work better for you, but it's definitely the only allergy medication that I will use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta