Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 08:37 AM

22 posts, read 24,287 times

Advertisements

I really appreciate all the advice that’s been given, this has been incredibly helpful. I do want to address a few point just FYI.

The military educational benefits SHOULD cover all tuition for any public school in the country. Debt is only an issue if I attend a private school, even then there are programs to severely reduce or eradicate the cost for me. This is also the reason I have been hesitant to seriously consider a schools like Emory, SMU, Vanderbilt, etc.

Also, when it comes to getting a degree in something that is “in demand” for future financial security, that isn’t something I am willing to do. I am in the military, which is a guaranteed paycheck and incredible benefits, however, I am not passionate about my actual job. It is important to me to wake up every day with a sense of purpose and passion about my role in life. For me learning about a subject I am actually interested in is critical for my success. I was an art (graphic design) major at Georgia Southern my freshman year, I found out very quickly that I might like art, but I have no desire to spend 4+ years learning about it, lol.

Does ASU carry anywhere near the “prestige” of Ohio State?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 10:39 AM

128 posts, read 105,258 times
You're not willing to get a degree in something that might be "in demand"? Why waste money for a degree that ends up being useless?

Old 05-08-2018, 11:54 AM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillBurray View Post
I really appreciate all the advice that’s been given, this has been incredibly helpful. I do want to address a few point just FYI.

The military educational benefits SHOULD cover all tuition for any public school in the country. Debt is only an issue if I attend a private school, even then there are programs to severely reduce or eradicate the cost for me. This is also the reason I have been hesitant to seriously consider a schools like Emory, SMU, Vanderbilt, etc.

Also, when it comes to getting a degree in something that is “in demand” for future financial security, that isn’t something I am willing to do. I am in the military, which is a guaranteed paycheck and incredible benefits, however, I am not passionate about my actual job. It is important to me to wake up every day with a sense of purpose and passion about my role in life. For me learning about a subject I am actually interested in is critical for my success. I was an art (graphic design) major at Georgia Southern my freshman year, I found out very quickly that I might like art, but I have no desire to spend 4+ years learning about it, lol.

No.

At least not on an overall basis. I have no opinion on how it rates in your specific major.

Ohio St. is clearly a step above the rest overall. The most prestigious schools (with the exception of small liberal arts schools) are members of the AAU. Ohio St. is. None of the others are or will be any time in the near future. https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are/our-members

Old 05-08-2018, 12:44 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillBurray View Post

On ASU no.

None of them on your list is as prestigious as Ohio State is.

I'll note with your military background I think you'd be in high demand for the career you are seeking since veterans by nature obtain a lot of other skills that are useful in public service and can understand how to work within and move around difficult situations, people, and bureacracy.

But again, of all on your list Ohio State is the most recognizable and most prestigious.

On people speaking of you having family/roots in GA I'd think since you're in the military you're used to moving in different places so can adjust to Ohio, which though I have a fondness for Ohio as my home state, is not all that different really from GA and is a short drive (by my standards) from metro Atlanta anyway. Also can get some cheap flights down there regularly.

If you haven't, I'd suggest you visit OSU. I think from you wanting to be in an urban area, it would be a good fit for you. Only other Ohio university honestly I'd consider recommending is in Cleveland, which is much more of an urban environment but it is a private school (Case Western) so would cause debt.

I'll note that a cousin of mine has a degree from Ohio State and worked in the corporate world as a consultant for many years and after getting disenchanted with corporate life was able to consult the career services in OSU and some alumni groups and he has changed careers and owns his own development company now and does a lot of good in his adopted home town redeveloping run down neighborhoods. He often speaks about the benefit of the OSU alumni network and how he was assisted by it and still is provided assistance when called on from them.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:57 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
No.

At least not on an overall basis. I have no opinion on how it rates in your specific major.

Ohio St. is clearly a step above the rest overall. The most prestigious schools (with the exception of small liberal arts schools) are members of the AAU. Ohio St. is. None of the others are or will be any time in the near future. https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are/our-members

I also agree on this.

Not sure of the other colleges/universities that you were accepted to OP but I immediately though when you mentioned OSU that Michigan (U of M) is considered a bit more prestigious than OSU. MSU though is not. Also included in this list is the other Ohio university I recommended above - Case Western.

I personally love the model of Case Western and it is a top school on the list for one of my nephews. At CWU they don't really have "majors" anymore and they let you explore your interests for the first year to see where you end up, which is a pretty interesting, innovative concept IMO. Interestingly the average salary of their graduates their first year out of university is $60k which is very high compared to many other universities.

I would also suggest the University of Chicago for prestige

Old 05-08-2018, 07:57 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
GA State runs its school like the damn DMV. They have so many students it’s uncontrollable. They always make mistakes. Last year, they over booked housing, and they are always playing catch up with academic advisement. They are building the hell out their campus but like most schools, I think they are more concerned with getting more students for financial reasons than educating and making sure graduation and retention remains low.
Academic advisement? Really? Can you not make it to their walk-in days/hours? If you need advisement, you should be proactive and schedule in advance. Usually you don't have to wait more than two weeks out. Usually departments provide walk-ins. Actually GSU is making plenty of effort into making sure their students graduate. If your GPA drops below a certain number, the school is alerted and the student is contacted for a talk about their GPA and how to proceed in a manner that should benefit the student.

With that being said, I think when they absorbed Perimeter, they should have prepared a lot more. Financial aid is ridiculous towards the wait time and how many students they have waiting at the middle of the semester. I don't remember financial aid ever having so many students in the middle of the semester before this president took over. There was also the One-Stop Shop. I think that the One-Stop Shop was a benefit and I don't see why they got rid of them but it happened I want to say after the new president took over.

Also, the whole Metro Pcs/T-Mobile thing with the calls dropping (enrollment, registrar, financial aid, etc.)...that's totally unacceptable. The problem has been going on for months upon months and I can't imagine why they'd let such a problem continue for so long. I don't know a stat to give but pretty sure over 50 per cent of students use either Metro PCS or T-Mobile. Imagine waiting 30 minutes-well over an hour to reach a representative and having your call drop within 1 minute of the conversation.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:04 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Someone may have a good experience at any of the schools on the list (or not on the list). If he lives in GA, has a good support system, connections/network, I don't see how going to Ohio State makes it that much better. It's all subjective to be honest.

Look, I know people (and I'm sure many know people too) that made big moves in life, going to run of the mill schools. Nothing special, while in college, just to find their niche/footing/opportunity in life (in a company/govt/their own business) and excel, while I've seen others do squat with their degree at party school or expensive school, just to reminisce about their college days. Got their wives rolling their eyes at the dinner table. People clamor about college well into their 40s and 50s, broke and in debt with nothing to show for.... . Meanwhile Alumni calling for money, and they can't foot a monthly contribution.

People make it look like college solely made them who they are, and put other in snooze mode about their corny, never ending college stories. His final choice will be all that matters. His life. Many didn't go to Ohio State, Harvard etc, and are/were just fine. He may be just fine too.

I went to a private college (St John's University) in NY, and while I enjoyed it, I have no regret if I did it differently. My wife graduated from Rutgers University. We didn't do Ivy League, but we are doing fine in life (low debt, high incomes), and promote sensibility to our kids.

Our daughter got offers (different levels of scholarships at some of the colleges she applied to). We told her go for the full ride and come out debt free. (She wants to do Nursing like my wife). She'll be local, and saving money. Versus going out of state to some party school or partial scholarship. How many unemployed RN's or Doctors do you know ? Meanwhile I can show you many people from top 20 Law schools that aren't doing much with their degrees. Facts. So there's no one size fits all when it comes to colleges, or people with their pom poms about certain schools. Not aiming at you anyone for that matter.

Nothing against any of the colleges mentioned above, or you. Just promoting sensibility and what will ultimately work for him. People get bent up over these schools like they're recruiters. It's not that serious. There's a real life after that Bachelors or Masters.

There are always intangibles. Just not enough of them to where i'd consider GSU over OSU other than finances. Still doesn't negate the fact that in general the average starting salary on average at OSU is MUCH higher than it is at Georgia State and that's not a coincidence. As a matter of fact, the last time I looked GSU had the second lowest starting salary in the entire state of all of the major universities with only Georgia Southern behind them. That just is what it is. If he's looking to get the best opportunity all things considered, in no way shape or form is GSU a better option other than, again, finances.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:49 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,388,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
There are always intangibles. Just not enough of them to where i'd consider GSU over OSU other than finances. Still doesn't negate the fact that in general the average starting salary on average at OSU is MUCH higher than it is at Georgia State and that's not a coincidence. As a matter of fact, the last time I looked GSU had the second lowest starting salary in the entire state of all of the major universities with only Georgia Southern behind them. That just is what it is. If he's looking to get the best opportunity all things considered, in no way shape or form is GSU a better option other than, again, finances.
Here is the latest one I could find.

https://www.payscale.com/college-sal...helors/georgia

Though, I think the individual matters more.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:08 PM

1,005 posts, read 728,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciblue View Post
You're not willing to get a degree in something that might be "in demand"? Why waste money for a degree that ends up being useless?
I agree, insofar that passion can greatly undercut your livelihood if it is also something you cannot mould into a current or future job market.

To rant, and if you allow me to give an exhausting answer: it also really depends on the school. At this point, college is less about education and more about buying into (funded or not) networks. Sure there are traditional models still left for pursuing "thought," but most schools are shifting their styles to big business and doling out less financial support even when endowments increase. If you're not interested in going beyond a BA in whatever field, then that uni better have great reciprocal relationships between employers and matriculating students. To me, that's where prestige is really prestige. And sometimes the reputations of some programs are difficult to detect based off the size of the school and whatever administrators are trying to sell to prospective students and parents.

You might also be surprised how your enthusiasm for a school might better your networking relationships, too. Slapping a UT Horns sticker on the back of your car might jumpstart a parking lot conversation, if you're a parent of a student there, a current or graduate student, or just a fan of orange. Of course the convo will only last as long as your intimacy with it though.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:29 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,486 times
https://news.gsu.edu/2018/05/18/geor...paign=bar-exam

Georgia State University College of Law graduates finished with an 88 percent passage rate for first-time takers on the February 2018 exam, well ahead of the state rate of 70.4 percent and that of other law schools.

The college also finished first among all schools for all applicants with a passing rate of 83.1 percent, ahead of the University of Georgia School of Law with 65 percent.

The College of Law finished ahead of Emory University School of Law’s 75 percent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta