Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 06:50 PM

22 posts, read 24,273 times

Advertisements

I know this questions is incredibly subjective, but I suppose I'm looking for a few opinions from different perspectives.

I lived in the Atlanta area from age 4 - 18/20. I always assumed State was a pretty good school. Now that my time in the military is coming to an end and I've begun to whittle down the list of schools I've been accepted to and Georgia State is consistently below the rest in rankings. I've looked at multiple college ranking sites and have yet to come across one that seems to evaluate State favorably.

Here are some of the others schools I've been accepted to that I've compared with Georgia State

Arizona State University
University of Alabama Birmingham
University of Houston
Temple University
Ohio State University
College of Charleston
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 07:05 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,248,748 times
What program are you studying? Are you accounting for the HOPE scholarship (maybe not if $ isn't a concern).

Besides your first job, and maybe not even, employers won't care where you went to college.

I went to Georgia State, so my opinion is, for most people, it's not their primary choice, but just for the fact that UGA and GA Tech can only accept so many students, Georgia State has become harder to get into. It's also a bunch of disjointed (but close enough) buildings downtown. It's right in the heart of Atlanta, so you'll have lots of opportunities to network with businesses down here.

Overall, if being near family is really important, I don't think you will compromise your career by going here (as long as you get good grades, and network with clubs and businesses).

Old 05-02-2018, 07:20 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Full honesty: It's not great. But neither are the other schools you've listed.

Of those, I'd go to Ohio State.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
What program are you studying? Are you accounting for the HOPE scholarship (maybe not if $ isn't a concern).

Besides your first job, and maybe not even, employers won't care where you went to college.

I went to Georgia State, so my opinion is, for most people, it's not their primary choice, but just for the fact that UGA and GA Tech can only accept so many students, Georgia State has become harder to get into. It's also a bunch of disjointed (but close enough) buildings downtown. It's right in the heart of Atlanta, so you'll have lots of opportunities to network with businesses down here.

Overall, if being near family is really important, I don't think you will compromise your career by going here (as long as you get good grades, and network with clubs and businesses).

My major is going to be Global Studies. I will be using military benefits to pay for school, so money is only really an issue for private institutions. I would have applied to Tech but their equivalent program requires taking additional math classes and I hate math.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Full honesty: It's not great. But neither are the other schools you've listed.

Of those, I'd go to Ohio State.
Really? What would you consider a great school? Beside Ivies and places like Duke, Emory, Rice, etc.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:35 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,248,748 times
What do you plan on doing with a major in Global Studies? If you're going to go for a liberal arts major, I think you should shoot for higher tier colleges where you can make the connections to make it useful.

I went for accounting at Georgia State which is a more grounded major. Graduated in 2011, I got a somewhat related job out of college for just $35k, but after a year, promoted to $45k, and after 2 more, $60k, and now I'm at $85k after some more job hopping (as well as building SQL/Excel/SSRS skills).

Old 05-02-2018, 07:41 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillBurray View Post
I know this questions is incredibly subjective, but I suppose I'm looking for a few opinions from different perspectives.

I lived in the Atlanta area from age 4 - 18/20. I always assumed State was a pretty good school. Now that my time in the military is coming to an end and I've begun to whittle down the list of schools I've been accepted to and Georgia State is consistently below the rest in rankings. I've looked at multiple college ranking sites and have yet to come across one that seems to evaluate State favorably.

Here are some of the others schools I've been accepted to that I've compared with Georgia State

Arizona State University
University of Alabama Birmingham
University of Houston
Temple University
Ohio State University
College of Charleston
1st is what field you are going into. If you were going into accounting, you would rather go to Northern Illinois than Harvard. But overall, its no contest. I know someone who transferred from UCLA to Kentucky because Kentucky was better at their major. If you are in hotel and restaurant management, the two best schools are 1) Cornell and 2) Houston. But Houston isn't Ivy caliber overall.

Given that qualification, Georgia State is a good school, but below the other schools on that list other than UAB, where its probably equivalent. Ohio St. is the most highly regarded school on that list. Houston, Arizona St. and Temple are similarly regarded. Not real familiar with College of Charleston.

(edit: to be clear, I am talking about the overall ranking of the school, not your particular major)

Old 05-02-2018, 07:45 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,359,435 times
I am a Georgia State alum (as well as University of Georgia for grad school). Here is really how it shakes out:

1. Having Georgia State on my resume' has NEVER kept me from getting a job.
2. Georgia State IS the largest university in the state.
3. Apply yourself, you WILL get a good education there.
4. On the other side, my Masters degree from the state's Flagship University of Georgia HAS opened up more "networking" opportunities.

Just some honest food for thought. I really agree with the earlier post that stated that what employers REALLY want is a college degree with a decent G.P.A. (and that is really for the entry/ first job only) After that, most employers look primarily at references and experience with your education background only occupying a line item "check box" that blends into the background of your resume with other things, like your address.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
What do you plan on doing with a major in Global Studies? If you're going to go for a liberal arts major, I think you should shoot for higher tier colleges where you can make the connections to make it useful.

I went for accounting at Georgia State which is a more grounded major. Graduated in 2011, I got a somewhat related job out of college for just $35k, but after a year, promoted to $45k, and after 2 more, $60k, and now I'm at $85k after some more job hopping (as well as building SQL/Excel/SSRS skills).
2011, the year I would have graduated from Southern if I had my head on straight back then.

My original goal was to go into diplomacy, foreign affairs, political strategy. My life views have shifted after some major medical dilemmas, also the reason I am separating from the military. My plan now is to focus less on money and become involved in political activism and global humanitarianism. The degree is important to me because I love learning and the military will pay for it. Still, I want to attend a college with some strong recognition, this will make it easier to network and steer me to more ambitious goals down the line.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
1st is what field you are going into. If you were going into accounting, you would rather go to Northern Illinois than Harvard. But overall, its no contest. I know someone who transferred from UCLA to Kentucky because Kentucky was better at their major. If you are in hotel and restaurant management, the two best schools are 1) Cornell and 2) Houston. But Houston isn't Ivy caliber overall.

Given that qualification, Georgia State is a good school, but below the other schools on that list other than UAB, where its probably equivalent. Ohio St. is the most highly regarded school on that list. Houston, Arizona St. and Temple are similarly regarded. Not real familiar with College of Charleston.

(edit: to be clear, I am talking about the overall ranking of the school, not your particular major)
My major is global studies / international relations

Reason for Ohio State is their International Studies program is one of the best in the country, supposedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta