Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2018, 12:45 PM

1,180 posts, read 983,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
I finally got to try one of these things out yesterday - it was fun.

I see these more as a recreational activity rather than practical, since you have to hunt these things down, and you can't count on one being where it'd be nice to have it, like the marta stations. Maybe they could switch to a docked system at all the marta stations at least and rebate $1 to anyone who returns a scooter to a dock or whatever. Also, these things struggle on not-so-steep hills - they could use a bit more power for heavier folks like me (>200 lbs).

It's still better sweating like a pig on a shared bike though...lol. I'll save that test for a cooler day.
I wanted to use one to get from North Avenue to Tech square. I downloaded Bird and Lime but didn't encounter one on my walk. The reviews in the apps lamented about how inaccurate the locators were. Hopefully the geo-fencing become a reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 12:46 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Who said anything about bikes?

If you're going to argue, at least argue in good faith.
People make the same argument amount bikes on other threads in this forum.

But you are trying to distract from the point of my comments. Why do you think e-scooters are any different from cars or bikes which are all used for getting places as well as for fun?

Old 07-12-2018, 12:59 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
People make the same argument amount bikes on other threads in this forum.

But you are trying to distract from the point of my comments. Why do you think e-scooters are any different from cars or bikes which are all used for getting places as well as for fun?
Because cars have their own lanes and bicyclists are pretty good about staying off the sidewalk.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Because cars have their own lanes and bicyclists are pretty good about staying off the sidewalk.
Um, cars need to share the roads with bikes and e-scooters. Those are not "their lanes". And how does that change anything anyways? Are you saying we need to give e-scooters their own lanes?

Old 07-12-2018, 01:21 PM
JPD

Quote:
Um, cars need to share the roads with bikes and e-scooters. Those are not "their lanes". And how does that change anything anyways? Are you saying we need to give e-scooters their own lanes?
Poor word choice on my part. Yes, bikes are entitled to the lanes just as much as cars, as should be e-scooters. None of these things should be on the sidewalk due in part to the speed differential between these vehicles and peds.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Poor word choice on my part. Yes, bikes are entitled to the lanes just as much as cars, as should be e-scooters. None of these things should be on the sidewalk due in part to the speed differential between these vehicles and peds.
Ok. How does all that make e-scooters any less about getting around than bikes or cars?

Old 07-12-2018, 01:49 PM
JPD

Quote:
Ok. How does all that make e-scooters any less about getting around than bikes or cars?
It doesn't matter what they're "about." Joy-riding is how they're being used by most people so far, at least in Downtown. If and when people start using them mostly for what their purpose is, then I won't hold them in such disdain.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter what they're "about." Joy-riding is how they're being used by most people so far, at least in Downtown. If and when people start using them mostly for what their purpose is, then I won't hold them in such disdain.
Sounds like a personal stereotype you have. I ride e-scooters around downtown. How do you know if I am joyriding?

Old 07-12-2018, 02:26 PM
JPD

Quote:
Sounds like a personal stereotype you have. I ride e-scooters around downtown. How do you know if I am joyriding?
Why do you insist on speaking in absolutes? Of course there are some people using them for their intended purpose, and I never suggested otherwise.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Why do you insist on speaking in absolutes? Of course there are some people using them for their intended purpose, and I never suggested otherwise.
I am asking how you can tell if I am using the scooter to get around or joyriding just by looking at me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta