Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 09:29 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,340,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Just a few feedback questions:
  1. Why does the Green Line terminate at Avondale?
  2. Why is Mechanicsville infill Station included?
  3. Why does Peachtree Rd ART extend to Midtown Station?
  4. Why is MLK Jr Station on the map?
The green line is so weird. Why does it currently end at Edgewood? It's literally the exact same run as the blue line except for the one-station offshoot to Bankhead. I guess they've done some study as to how many people ride between Edgewood and Five Points as opposed to East Lake out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Nerds with too much time on their hands.
I'm a nerd and have a lot of paid time on my hands. "Image size" in photoshop takes mere seconds!

Last edited by samiwas1; 05-21-2018 at 09:44 AM..

Old 05-21-2018, 10:26 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,796,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
The green line is so weird. Why does it currently end at Edgewood? It's literally the exact same run as the blue line except for the one-station offshoot to Bankhead. I guess they've done some study as to how many people ride between Edgewood and Five Points as opposed to East Lake out.

I'm a nerd and have a lot of paid time on my hands. "Image size" in photoshop takes mere seconds!
Which is exactly why I am disappointed to see the Boone infill station not in the More MARTA Recommended Program Scenario.
The switches along the East Line are King Memorial, Edgewood/Candler Park (pocket track), Avondale, and Indian Creek. If you ran the Green Line to Avondale you'd have to add more trains to keep the 10 minute headways and the ridership doesn't warrant it. The pocket track at Edgewood/Candler Park allows Blue Line trains to safely pass the Green Line trains while they turn around.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
The Atlanta Beltline may yet get more funding from a transit sales tax approved by city voters in 2016.
A new plan to spend $2.5 billion in proceeds from the sales tax includes just a third of the 22-mile light-rail line envisioned for the beltline loop. But on Sunday afternoon, MARTA officials assured beltline supporters that final decisions on how to spend the money won’t be made until after a series of public hearings this summer.

“We hope to get a lot of feedback and ultimately take a recommendation to the Board of Directors in September or October,” MARTA CEO Jeffrey Parker told about 60 beltline supporters who gathered at Ormsby’s tavern on Howell Mill Road in Atlanta.

Atlanta voters overwhelmingly approved the half-penny sales tax to expand MARTA in the city. Though MARTA showcased a list of potential projects before the 2016 vote, it’s only now whittling the list down to something financially viable.

MARTA and city employees have recommended 21 miles of new light rail lines, 18 miles of bus rapid transit and other transit improvements (you can find more details here). But the project includes only 7 miles of the beltline loop.

Beltline supporters want more – ideally all – of the transit line included in the final list. The group Beltline Rail Now! sponsored Sunday’s forum, which drew Parker, MARTA Board Chairman Robbie Ashe and representatives of the city, the beltline and the Atlanta Regional Commission.

Parker offered no guarantees. But he said the recommended project list is “clearly changeable.”

Getting the Beltline on that final project list isn’t the only hurdle supporters must overcome. They learned Sunday only part of the loop is included in the ARC’s long-range transportation plan. To receive crucial federal funding, the loop must be included in the ARC’s plan.

After the meeting, former City Council President Cathy Woolard, who founded the Beltline transit group, made it clear the group will fight for more funding.

“What I’ve understood from my years of experience is that things can change if citizens speak out,” Woolard said.
https://www.myajc.com/blog/commuting...e6fxKtdwKfrJL/

Old 05-21-2018, 12:56 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,679,395 times
Quote:
Just a few feedback questions:
  1. Why does the Green Line terminate at Avondale?
  2. Why is Mechanicsville infill Station included?
  3. Why does Peachtree Rd ART extend to Midtown Station?
  4. Why is MLK Jr Station on the map?
  1. Because that was shown in MARTA's future transit map from the presentation they gave to the Georgia legislative committee on transit. Bankhead's station enhancements are on the list, which I'm assuming includes extending the platform, so I figured the longer trains would go ahead and run to Avondale as well.
  2. Because I forgot to delete it.
  3. It looks that way in the presentation's map to me. I debated doing that, though.
  4. Did you mean "why is King Memorial missing?"? That's because it got deleted when refining some of the light rail down, and I forgot to fix it.

Quote:
I can't find if there are dates set for those meetings yet. I'll be in town sporadically over the summer and had hoped to go to one, but I don't think there'll be any going on.

It's good to hear that the list is still up to change, since I think there's real potential for common ground on reducing the money spent in the Campbellton Rd corridor, and spreading it out a bit more.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
  1. Because that was shown in MARTA's future transit map from the presentation they gave to the Georgia legislative committee on transit. Bankhead's station enhancements are on the list, which I'm assuming includes extending the platform, so I figured the longer trains would go ahead and run to Avondale as well.
  2. Because I forgot to delete it.
  3. It looks that way in the presentation's map to me. I debated doing that, though.
  4. Did you mean "why is King Memorial missing?"? That's because it got deleted when refining some of the light rail down, and I forgot to fix it.

I can't find if there are dates set for those meetings yet. I'll be in town sporadically over the summer and had hoped to go to one, but I don't think there'll be any going on.

It's good to hear that the list is still up to change, since I think there's real potential for common ground on reducing the money spent in the Campbellton Rd corridor, and spreading it out a bit more.
  • MoreMARTA funding cannot go to funding Green Line rail operations outside City Limits.
  • Not King Memorial, but the Blue Line extension west to MLK Jr Blvd (this confusion is exactly why we can't have 2 stations with similar names.)
I am going to share this with the BeltLine Rail Now! group

Old 05-21-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
  • MoreMARTA funding cannot go to funding Green Line rail operations outside City Limits.
  • Not King Memorial, but the Blue Line extension west to MLK Jr Blvd (this confusion is exactly why we can't have 2 stations with similar names.)
I am going to share this with the BeltLine Rail Now! group
I wasn't expecting More MARTA funding to go to Green Line operations, just that expanded Green Line operations would be a result of other More MARTA spending. It probably shouldn't have shown up on the map, though.

And yeah, the Blue Line extension was another 'I forgot to remove it' thing.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:34 PM
bu2

23,972 posts, read 14,760,934 times
Quote:
Curious what isn't in the ARC plan. Perhaps the north side where there are working freight lines. But I would think the SW, SE and NE would all be.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:02 PM

The one thing I'd really change about the proposed plan would be to pull back on the funding spent on the Campbellton Rd corridor, which quite a few of us have said by now, multiple times. Right now it's slated to receive three levels of service throughout the tax's life:
  • Campbellton Line: Five miles of in-street light rail service along Campbellton Road between Oakland City Station and Greenbriar Mall. An arterial rapid transit line has been established. It will be upgraded to bus rapid transit and then to light rail in the long run. $263.7 million (light rail only).
  • Campbellton Line: Five miles of in-street bus rapid transit service along Campbellton Road between Oakland City Station and Greenbriar Mall. The line began as arterial rapid transit, but will be upgraded to BRT and later to light rail. $130 million (bus rapid transit only).
  • Route 583 - Campbellton Line: Arterial rapid transit along Campbellton Road from Greenbriar Mall to Oakland City Station. Mostly finished. Will be upgraded to bus rapid transit and, eventually, to light rail. $27.6 million (ART only).
[Source]

Now, the ART level is almost done, so we can't get funding back from that. I don't think we should put light rail in the corridor, though. BRT is already slated for the route, and that's a solid new route.

By contrast, we could take that 5 miles of Light Rail and just about finish the Southside transit route from the already planned Westside route to the already planned Eastside route. That's assuming, of course, that it costs a similar amount to run Light Rail along the Southside, which is a pretty large assumption. Then again the Northeast BeltLine is looking at ~$58 Mil. per mile, and the Southwest BeltLine is looking at ~$49 Mil. per mile, meaning that we could probably get close to 5 miles of rail out of the Campbellton Rd reapplication of funds. Especially if teamed up with BeltLine efforts at building out the Southside Trail.

Just make it one of the last projects, so that we give ABI enough time to get ready for construction on the Southside, and we can knock the whole thing out at once.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:32 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,846,635 times
Campbellton Rd should only happen as BRT / LRT if it will be in dedicated RoW the majority of the route.

I doubt there is really support for that at this point given that a lot of the route is only two lanes. But I say punt it back to the power players in the SWATS and let them decide how much RoW they are willing to give up. My guess is it would end up as a heavy ART route which I think is appropriate.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:06 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,340,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I doubt there is really support for that at this point given that a lot of the route is only two lanes.
Even the 4-lane sections are pretty narrow, much of it under 40' wide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta