Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2018, 11:09 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
The argument is not exactly against funding the Emory line but against the city funding half of it from the MoreMarta tax. The Clifton Corridor is the largest employment center in the Atlanta region without transit or interstate access and as such...

a)should be among the highest transportation priorities for the region
I mean, it's getting funding from the first transit expansion tax that was implemented. How much higher priority can you get?

Quote:
b) should garner regional/ state funding
The full route needs funding from more than just the City, and will therefore get money from DeKalb, at least. Otherwise, phase 2 is a prime chance for the state to step in. Hell, the state could step in at any time to add funds to the project and allow MARTA to take on other More MARTA items, but until that happens, we shouldn't wait around.

Quote:
c) should have no trouble competing for federal matching funds
I doubt it will, and MARTA is going to take advantage of that fact by seeking federal funds against the locally-raised More MARTA funds, as it will for the rest of the light rail and even BRT routes.

Quote:
On the other hand, the Beltline TAD is halfway through its lifespan and there is no other funding source on the horizon for the foreseeable future for the parts of the Beltline that do not get into this 40-year MoreMarta plan.
And I think we could easily apply all the arguments you've made from the Clifton Corridor to the BeltLine. It's regionally significant, the state could help fund it, and the feds will likely pitch in funding if we ask.

Quote:
Gravel has also given his thoughts on the Campbellton Rd project.
I agree with Gravel. Let Campbelton Rd. be BRT for now, and reallocate the light rail funding to the Southside BeltLine. There's a funding gap, but there's your chance for the state to step in and show it's ready to properly fund some transit, whether that be helping with the Clifton Corridor, or with the BeltLine itself.

In the meantime, though, we should move forward with the Clifton Corridor so as not to get trapped in another decade of planning and spinning wheels when this route should have been built ten years ago as is. We have funding on the table, and a mostly balanced project list. The one location of actual unbalance is not in funding Atlanta's half of the regionally-level transit route.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:30 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,184,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I mean, it's getting funding from the first transit expansion tax that was implemented. How much higher priority can you get?

The full route needs funding from more than just the City, and will therefore get money from DeKalb, at least. Otherwise, phase 2 is a prime chance for the state to step in. Hell, the state could step in at any time to add funds to the project and allow MARTA to take on other More MARTA items, but until that happens, we shouldn't wait around.

I doubt it will, and MARTA is going to take advantage of that fact by seeking federal funds against the locally-raised More MARTA funds, as it will for the rest of the light rail and even BRT routes.

I agree with Gravel. Let Campbelton Rd. be BRT for now, and reallocate the light rail funding to the Southside BeltLine. There's a funding gap, but there's your chance for the state to step in and show it's ready to properly fund some transit, whether that be helping with the Clifton Corridor, or with the BeltLine itself.

In the meantime, though, we should move forward with the Clifton Corridor so as not to get trapped in another decade of planning and spinning wheels when this route should have been built ten years ago as is. We have funding on the table, and a mostly balanced project list. The one location of actual unbalance is not in funding Atlanta's half of the regionally-level transit route.
The Emory line may get funding from this tax and since city residents are solely funding this, they should certainly have a say in how it is spent.

Exactly where is there any jobs center along the Beltline even approaching the level of the Clifton that lacks transit or highway access? There are none.

The distinction here is that the MoreMarta tax was billed as last mile connectivity for city of Atlanta residents. While Emory is an important regional transit objective, it does little to achieve this goal. And these are not my arguments. I am only repeating the arguments presented in the Beltline Rail Now forum. But even those outside the Beltline supporters are questioning funding the Emory line with this.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:32 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
The Emory line may get funding from this tax and since city residents are solely funding this, they should certainly have a say in how it is spent.

Exactly where is there any jobs center along the Beltline even approaching the level of the Clifton that lacks transit or highway access? There are none.

The distinction here is that the MoreMarta tax was billed as last mile connectivity for city of Atlanta residents. While Emory is an important regional transit objective, it does little to achieve this goal. And these are not my arguments. I am only repeating the arguments presented in the Beltline Rail Now forum. But even those outside the Beltline supporters are questioning funding the Emory line with this.
Do tell what last mile connection Atlanta-in-DeKalb is getting?

Old 06-15-2018, 10:06 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,184,220 times

Old 06-16-2018, 07:15 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times
That sounds exciting but I'm not going to hold my breath. You know how things are in "Jo-ja", lol

Old 06-16-2018, 07:57 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Interesting.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:58 AM

198 posts, read 148,820 times
Major Announcement!!!! The state of Georgia will pay $3000.00 annually to help expand MARTA rail OTP!!!!!

Old 06-16-2018, 08:13 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
YOU are SO right! I lived in metro Atlanta in the 90s and early '00s and visited a few years. Frankly, it was distressing to see the lack of mobility improvement. I saw the East-West connecter in Cobb as a major addition and finishing University Parkway to Athens. But nothing else that anyone with knowledge of urban transit would consider truly helpful. I reside now in Dallas/Fort Worth, a metro area of 7.3 million residents. Literally, every year I've been here major expansions have occurred:

Finishing a second beltway,
finishing two 20-30 mile toll-roads,
adding and rebuilding bridges,
redoing the mix-master downtown,
widening 4 freeways,
finishing four more light rail lines to go with four (one heavy rail) lines in operation, and starting a ninth rail line last year. You are talking over $15 billion in mobility improvements over 15 years. That's the kind of investment businesses take note of for relocation and expansion.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:34 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
YOU are SO right! I lived in metro Atlanta in the 90s and early '00s and visited a few years. Frankly, it was distressing to see the lack of mobility improvement. I saw the East-West connecter in Cobb as a major addition and finishing University Parkway to Athens. But nothing else that anyone with knowledge of urban transit would consider truly helpful. I reside now in Dallas/Fort Worth, a metro area of 7.3 million residents. Literally, every year I've been here major expansions have occurred:

Finishing a second beltway,
finishing two 20-30 mile toll-roads,
adding and rebuilding bridges,
redoing the mix-master downtown,
widening 4 freeways,
finishing four more light rail lines to go with four (one heavy rail) lines in operation, and starting a ninth rail line last year. You are talking over $15 billion in mobility improvements over 15 years. That's the kind of investment businesses take note of for relocation and expansion.
The Metroplex has 0 heavy rail lines.
It has several LRT, 1 commuter rail, 1 DMU and building another. Yet DART has the lowest ridership prr mile for LRT.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:08 AM

296 posts, read 220,044 times
Anybody got hints on what the announcement is? I'm guessing the first chunk of state funds will be announced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta