Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2018, 05:15 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,872,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Transit is not a need. It is a want.
Also true.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:29 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
If you want to argue against MARTA's own budgetary documents, I'm willing to hear those arguments. But, it seems pretty well proven that passenger revenue accounts for less than 15% of MARTA's operational costs, and single-digit percentage of total costs. Sales taxes (from largely non-users) pulls in 2.5 times more revenue. Riders are getting a massive steal.
So is the business community. They are reaping gigantic benefits from transit, without ponying up one dime in funding.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
So is the business community. They are reaping gigantic benefits from transit, without ponying up one dime in funding.
Private businesses are leading the way and footing the full bill for transit expansions elsewhere in the world including exotic places like Chicago. Of course basically all those places that are getting that private funded transit also have toll roads that level the playing field for transit.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:37 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Atlanta BeltLine Inc is exploring a Transit Improvement District which will overlay the TAD and function like a CID, but instead only fund transit.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:42 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Private businesses are leading the way and footing the full bill for transit expansions elsewhere in the world including exotic places like Chicago. Of course basically all those places that are getting that private funded transit also have toll roads that level the playing field for transit.
Remove the gas tax, and I'll pay your tolls. Otherwise, you're double-billing me on top of the requirement that I provide my own vehicle, fuel, maintenance, and insurance. Otherwise, start figuring out a way for transit users to fund more transit.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Remove the gas tax, and I'll pay your tolls. Otherwise, you're double-billing me on top of the requirement that I provide my own vehicle, fuel, maintenance, and insurance. Otherwise, start figuring out a way for transit users to fund more transit.
There is not a practical way to toll every street at this point. Only the major ones. Gas tax should cover 100% of the non-tolled road network. And the tolls should cover 100% of a give toll road. That also means tolls & demand has to be high enough to warrant building the road. The same way private transit works. They get funded because the executed demand and fares are enough to fully pay for the project.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:54 AM

296 posts, read 220,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Atlanta BeltLine Inc is exploring a Transit Improvement District which will overlay the TAD and function like a CID, but instead only fund transit.
Good. We need for the businesses (including/especially the developers who aren't involved for the long-haul) to pay a greater share. They reap a lot of the rewards from transit expansion.

I hope the North Fulton CID can somehow step up to the plate and find a solution to getting the Red Line extension done as well. My understanding is that organization very badly wants the project to happen. Put your money where your mouth is.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:47 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autolycus25 View Post
Good. We need for the businesses (including/especially the developers who aren't involved for the long-haul) to pay a greater share. They reap a lot of the rewards from transit expansion.

I hope the North Fulton CID can somehow step up to the plate and find a solution to getting the Red Line extension done as well. My understanding is that organization very badly wants the project to happen. Put your money where your mouth is.
Why aren't they lobbying Fulton Co Commissioners?

Old 06-18-2018, 12:26 PM

296 posts, read 220,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Why aren't they lobbying Fulton Co Commissioners?
They might be. I honestly don't know.

FWIW, Brandon Beach is the Executive Director of North Fulton CID. He was also recently (end of April) appointed to the Fulton County Development Authority Board of Directors.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:14 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
There is not a practical way to toll every street at this point. Only the major ones. Gas tax should cover 100% of the non-tolled road network. And the tolls should cover 100% of a give toll road. That also means tolls & demand has to be high enough to warrant building the road. The same way private transit works. They get funded because the executed demand and fares are enough to fully pay for the project.
Okay..you're talking about additional toll roads, not putting tolls on our existing roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta