Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 08:20 PM

20 posts, read 56,011 times

Advertisements

I am relocating and have dedcided to live in Candler park, City of Decatur, Inman area (I think). I am looking at rental houses and while doing so I have found several HUGE nice looking homes in the Brookhaven (Dresden Park) and in Buckhead neighborhoods. Why are there so many houses for rent in these neighborhood and are they good, safe, family friendly neighborhoods? Also, how long in the commute to Emory/ Grady Memorial Hospitals? One last thing, if these neighborhoods are nice are there things close- Resturants, shopping ect.?
Thanks in advance

RWiddi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 09:02 PM

7 posts, read 41,489 times
Its about 20-25 minutes from dresden park to emory. The Brookhaven area has some areas that are very nice and some areas that are transitioning and will be very nice within the next 12-24 months. I would avoid things that are right off of Buford Highway.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:52 PM

23,314 posts, read 43,771,460 times
Buckhead is generally considered the "Beverly Hills" of Atlanta...there are really no bad neighborhoods within its borders. Brookhaven could really be considered an extension of Buckhead...there is, however, a HUGE difference in Brookhaven north and south of Peachtree Road. North of Peachtree (the area around the Capital City Club) is one of the most upscale areas of the city; the area south of Peachtree is traditionally much more middle class. However, there is some serious gentrification going on in Brookhaven south-of-Peachtree (growing up here, the neighborhoods south of P'tree were not considered Brookhaven...you can thank the realtors for rewriting that and many other neighborhood histories in this town). Generally, the further you go down Dresden Dr. towards Clairmont Rd., the seedier the neighborhoods get.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:56 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,233,600 times
It's a farther ride from Emory than Candler Park, etc. And it has a different vibe altogether. But it's close and not a bad place to consider. I suggest putting it on your list of places to visit before making your decision.

Of course, as a Candler Park resident I think you should move to my neighborhood. My ride to CDC (adjacent to Emory's campus) took me 11 minutes. I biked in yesterday and it took me 20 (no bad traffic, either, just residential streets). The day before THAT I walked and that took an hour...but I'm short...

Old 03-28-2008, 09:33 AM

20 posts, read 56,011 times
Thanks Everyone-
I still think I am sold on Candler Park or Inman area. My only last question is: Are things close and with in walking distance in Buckhead and Brookhaven? That is really actractive to me and my wife, we would love to just walk to dinner or shopping and it sounds like we can do that in the first two mentioned cities.
Thanks Again.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:50 AM

23,314 posts, read 43,771,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiddi View Post
Thanks Everyone-
I still think I am sold on Candler Park or Inman area. My only last question is: Are things close and with in walking distance in Buckhead and Brookhaven? That is really actractive to me and my wife, we would love to just walk to dinner or shopping and it sounds like we can do that in the first two mentioned cities.
Thanks Again.
Generally, no...although the Brookhaven Town Center (scheduled to open Spring 2009) may change that.
The business/retail district of Buckhead is in a state of upheaval...a large part of it has been leveled for the Streets of Buckhead development. They are attempting to reinvent this area as "The Rodeo Drive of the Southeast", or so they say.
To me, your true "walking neighborhoods" here are:

Midtown
Virginia Highland
Inman Park
Candler Park
Grant Park
East Atlanta
Decatur (city)
Marietta (on the square)

There are some suburban towns that have successfully reinvented their original town centers, like Norcross (I was in downtown Norcross a couple of weeks ago and found it charming)
Other areas, like Sandy Springs, are working to reinvent their commercial centers to be more pedestrian-friendly.
It's definitely the wave of the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta