Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I buy a home to live in?
Newnan 12 50.00%
Peacthree City 12 50.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 06:52 AM

93 posts, read 123,047 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Could someone give me a detailed difference between these two cities please? I am really considering moving here and buying a home. I really want to make the best decision.

Example:

Newnan = Hot area right now, growing fast, great deals on homes
Peachtree City = Golf Carts, expensive, nice little pocket of a place to live

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 09:34 AM

11,780 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needspractice View Post
Hello,

Could someone give me a detailed difference between these two cities please? I am really considering moving here and buying a home. I really want to make the best decision.

Example:

Newnan = Hot area right now, growing fast, great deals on homes
Peachtree City = Golf Carts, expensive, nice little pocket of a place to live

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
I'm going to make this extraordinarily simple.

If you need to commute, especially toward Atlanta, choose Newnan, its more feasible as far as living is concerned and it leaves you right off of I-85.

If you want to retire and you have money saved up or you can work remotely and do NOT need to commute, Peachtree City.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:06 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,983,748 times
Agree with Need4Camaro. Depends on where you're working. I personally would choose Senoia or Sharpsburg, but again, that depends on where you work. Driving from Senoia to the airport would kinda suck.

I nearly took a job at the airport back in the spring. If that's where you are, and you have kids, look into Northgate HS area. That's where I'd have moved had I pulled the trigger.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:19 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,359,910 times
Newnan = Quintessential old southern town with gorgeous historic homes and charming courthouse square to match.

Peachtree City = Quintessential affluent suburb (kind of like much of North Fulton/ East Cobb) with the amenities to match plus the added bonus of golf cart paths.

If I were to live that far out, I'd choose Newnan provided I could afford to live in one of their many historic districts. (Many of Coweta's newer subdivisions are VERY nice, but are not substantially different from what you can find in many other places)

Peachtree City does have the better schools overall (not saying that Newnan schools are exactly "slouches" either) and is overall more affluent/ upscale.

You really can't go wrong with either choice; Newnan is more economical, though.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:45 PM

761 posts, read 906,492 times
Both are great places to live, but Newnan is more middle class and Peachtree City is more upper middle class. Also, there is a big variety of areas with a Newnan zip code. Some of the areas are in the City of Newnan, and some are 20 minutes away from downtown Newnan in unincorporated Coweta County.

PTC:
population: 36K
Higher rated Schools (McIntosh has the 5th highest SAT scores in the state and every elementary school in PTC rates in the top 10% in the state)
100 miles of Golf Cart Paths that connect everything in the city. Kids as young as 12 can drive with a parent and the high school kids drive them to school.
One of the lowest crime rates in the nation
Average family income around 110K
Mostly Transplants
About 25-35 minutes to the airport which is closer than the City of Newnan.
Average home price around 450K
Master planned community with 3 lakes, 3 golf courses, amphitheater, skate park, 20 soccer fields, aquatic complex, field hockey complex, 10 baseball fields, BMX track, nature preserves, and over 20 pocket parks
Almost fully developed; limited growth which helps maintains higher home prices
Strict sign and building ordinances

Newnan:
population: 30K
Average family income around 55K
Growing area with still a lot of potential development
convenient to the interstate
Beautiful downtown
Brand new hospital
Good Schools
Average home price around 220K
Mix of longtime residents and transplant, but definitely has more of a southern feel than PTC

Old 10-13-2017, 08:56 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times
Yeah I'm thinking about moving to the southside if I come back to Atlanta and am torn on this. Might also consider Fayetteville.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:09 AM

I personally would absolutely hate to live in any of those cities, with the exception of Newnan I could get by with if I absolutely had to. Its just too far from the jobs and too hard to commute from. I don't know how people from Fayetteville do it.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:58 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I personally would absolutely hate to live in any of those cities, with the exception of Newnan I could get by with if I absolutely had to. Its just too far from the jobs and too hard to commute from. I don't know how people from Fayetteville do it.
Sigh ... as has been discussed in this forum MANY MANY times, the commute from Fayette and Coweta counties into downtown and Midtown Atlanta is no worse and in many cases MUCH faster than most of the popular north side suburbs. Not only is traffic much less congested, but the actual distance IN MILES from Fayetteville to Atlanta is LESS than places like Kennesaw, Canton, Alpharetta; Cumming, Suwannee, Lawrenceville, Snellville, Conyers, McDonough etc. From the courthouse square in Fayetteville to the state capital in Atlanta it's exactly 21 miles -- which is why so many state government officials LIVE in Fayette County.

And it goes without saying that if you work for an airline or in the film and TV industry, Fayette or Coweta is exactly where you want to live.

Old 10-13-2017, 04:17 PM

761 posts, read 906,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
The commute from Fayetteville and Peachtree City is better than from downtown Newnan, unless you live in extreme southern Peachtree City or extreme southern Fayetteville.

The northern parts of Fayetteville are only 7-8 miles from the airport and 17 miles from downtown or about 15-20 minutes to the airport and 30-35 minutes to downtown. The northside of Peachtree City is 20 minutes from the airport and 30-35 minutes to downtown.

On the other Hand Newnan, is 30 mile from the airport and 40 miles from downtown.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Sigh ... as has been discussed in this forum MANY MANY times, the commute from Fayette and Coweta counties into downtown and Midtown Atlanta is no worse and in many cases MUCH faster than most of the popular north side suburbs. Not only is traffic much less congested, but the actual distance IN MILES from Fayetteville to Atlanta is LESS than places like Kennesaw, Canton, Alpharetta; Cumming, Suwannee, Lawrenceville, Snellville, Conyers, McDonough etc. From the courthouse square in Fayetteville to the state capital in Atlanta it's exactly 21 miles -- which is why so many state government officials LIVE in Fayette County.

And it goes without saying that if you work for an airline or in the film and TV industry, Fayette or Coweta is exactly where you want to live.
Yeah but you're making the assumption that most people work in Downtown. From my experience, most of the jobs us suburbanites work at, is actually on the northern beltline between Marietta and Doraville on I-285 topend, GA-400 N and some of Gwinnett. All of my jobs have either been in North Fulton (Windward Pkwy and McFarland) or Gwinnett area. If working in Downtown it would be a bit easier (although I could still eclipse the commute time from Fayette to Downtown with the toll lane on I-85.)

My longest commute was from Stockbridge (GA-155 / NOT 138) - to N.Alpharetta on McFarland and that took about an hour all highway no traffic.

For those in Fayette, I know some who even commute up to Cumming and back, which is unreal.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 10-16-2017 at 07:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta