Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 07:09 AM

198 posts, read 148,820 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the average or starting salary for any of these positions in the movie industry for the ATL area?

Set construction and Scenic Painting

Lighting and Electric

Grip and Rigging

Post Production

Special Makeup Effects

Production Accounting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 08:14 AM

108 posts, read 81,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehd View Post
Does anyone know the average or starting salary for any of these positions in the movie industry for the ATL area?

Lighting and Electric

Grip and Rigging

Post Production

Special Makeup Effects

Production Accounting
The Department of Labor should have some info... Also you could try reaching out to someone from the Georgia Film Academy, and see what numbers and figures they have.

A movie studio reached out to me last year for a production accounting interview and I was happy when I learned it was paying $75,000 a year. Then my happiness left as I realized the interview and job would be in LA where $75,000 won't stretch as far lol. I'd imagine in Atlanta, you'd at least make 55-60K doing the same job.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:24 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehd View Post

Lighting and Electric

Grip and Rigging

Post Production

Special Makeup Effects

Production Accounting
In any larger union-based production, starting wages for most positions are determined by the Area Standards Agreement, which is a document which covers all of the rules and regulations for union crews, including wages, overtime, breaks, holidays, benefits, working conditions, etc. Each individual can also negotiate their own wages above that if they want. Most people I know do not make that base wage. You can find the Area Standards Agreement online.

The base wage for standard ASA contract productions are high $20s per hour for regular crew, low $30s per hour for supervisory-type positions, and mid $30s per hour for lead/key positions. Almost no one works on a salary. There are also generous benefits added, with retirements accounts and health insurance. Other non-economic benefits include an almost endless supply of food and drink, and multiple catered meals per day.

There are also different contracts for smaller shows, in which wages will be less, and conditions not as favorable.

To give you an idea, I am in a mid-to-high paying position (lighting programmer). I worked on film and TV projects on 170 days in 2017. I made close to six figures before rental income, and will hopefully see the same again this year. BUT...the industry is swamped with people right now. The membership of the union has swelled massively in the past few years as people flocked to try to get their piece of the pie. Now that huge productions like Black Panther and The Avengers have wrapped, which each employed many hundreds if not thousands of people, there are tons of people looking for work, and not enough work for all of them.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:17 AM

198 posts, read 148,820 times
Thanks for the info!

Old 06-11-2018, 11:50 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
So it's not like LA where most people seem to move from project to project rather effortlessly? Would you say the down time between projects in ATL is greater than LA, or has it grown there as well? I was always under the impression that once you build a good name, the work kind of just flows in. Is that incorrect?

Old 06-11-2018, 12:15 PM

651 posts, read 475,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
So it's not like LA where most people seem to move from project to project rather effortlessly? Would you say the down time between projects in ATL is greater than LA, or has it grown there as well? I was always under the impression that once you build a good name, the work kind of just flows in. Is that incorrect?
I've never heard of anyone seriously choosing/moving to Atlanta over LA to work on movies. It aint like that here.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:25 PM

108 posts, read 81,275 times
Georgia probably dethrones California when it comes to film production, but California still leads when it comes to the creative side of the industry like screenwriting, and perhaps film score as well.

I'm hoping Georgia is able to expand and have more of a creative footprint in the industry. I think having more of the creative jobs located in Georgia will be what keeps the state's film industry stable in the long run. Otherwise, any other state could offer an incentive deal like we currently do.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:30 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
I think it's a tough proposition because the industry is so saturated there. Just like every city, Atlanta included, wants to be the next Silicon Valley with tech startups. Why not? People hate the cost of living there and constantly complain. But the bottom line is....Silicon Valley is where the money is and where the industry is. That ain't gonna change, at least not overnight. I suspect the same is true of film and tv. We can have some of the industry, but the creatives aren't trying to move here any time soon. Certainly not the studio money.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:50 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
If you have built up a good name and know enough people, you will move from project to project if you have a varied skill set. I have only had scheduled hiatuses between July of last year and just two weeks ago when my last production wrapped. My next one starts in July and should go through March. That's pretty great, and I've been lucky.

But, thousands of people have moved here and joined the film union in the last couple of years. And without any blockbuster movies filming currently, there just isn't enough work to employ all those people. This is mostly in the various construction fields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
I've never heard of anyone seriously choosing/moving to Atlanta over LA to work on movies. It aint like that here.
Uh, well that's not true. I work in the industry, and know numerous people who have moved here from New Orleans, North Carolina, Michigan, and others. Even know a few who have relocated from LA.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:18 PM

651 posts, read 475,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post

Uh, well that's not true. I work in the industry, and know numerous people who have moved here from New Orleans, North Carolina, Michigan, and others. Even know a few who have relocated from LA.
Is it because they couldn't get jobs in LA or because they willingly chose to come here? That is what I am saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: