Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 08:29 AM

10,737 posts, read 13,302,131 times

Advertisements

Just saw on CBS that there is a significant building fire on Auburn Ave. near Bell St. Anyone in the area with any info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 09:27 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,329,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Just saw on CBS that there is a significant building fire on Auburn Ave. near Bell St. Anyone in the area with any info?
There are stories on both the AJC and WSB websites. Looks like it was this building on Auburn. Trying to find out more, but the endless streams of ads made me just close the page instead.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:28 AM

10,737 posts, read 13,302,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
There are stories on both the AJC and WSB websites. Looks like it was this building on Auburn.
Thanks. From the looks of it, this building appears to need replacing. I just hope no one was injured.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:39 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,827,136 times
Renovations, yes. Replacing, no.

We got to lower the barriers to keeping our existing buildings up to date. Leveling buildings for new ones is just too expensive and causes us to lose character in our cities.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:01 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,329,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Renovations, yes. Replacing, no.

We got to lower the barriers to keeping our existing buildings up to date. Leveling buildings for new ones is just too expensive and causes us to lose character in our cities.
If it had that big of a fire, the costs to renovate it are probably more than the building is worth. It doesn't appear to be historically significant, and is valued at only $343k. Looks like it was being used as a music and event venue, hosting trap parties and silent dance parties.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
If it had that big of a fire, the costs to renovate it are probably more than the building is worth. It doesn't appear to be historically significant, and is valued at only $343k. Looks like it was being used as a music and event venue, hosting trap parties and silent dance parties.
I am talking about before the fire. And more the huge barriers and costs to restoring a building like this that I know all too well first hand from restoring a similar building.

Basically our current laws make it so if you want to do any improvements to the building / make it usable again you can expect to have to spend multiple times what the existing building is worth. And thus it is often cheaper to just tear old buildings down instead of bringing them "up to code".

Atlanta really needs to adopt the International Existing Building Code ASAP.

Old 06-12-2018, 05:59 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,550,395 times
Quote:
Leveling buildings for new ones is just too expensive and causes us to lose character in our cities.
Quote:
And thus it is often cheaper to just tear old buildings down instead of bringing them "up to code".
Am I the only one seeing a contradiction here?

Old 06-12-2018, 07:11 AM

11,690 posts, read 7,862,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
I'd say the latter is correct. its MUCH cheaper to demolish buildings and build new ones in their place in current code standard than to bring an older building up to current code.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:32 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,213,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'd say the latter is correct. its MUCH cheaper to demolish buildings and build new ones in their place in current code standard than to bring an older building up to current code.
What's suppose to happen is the renovations and re-proposing the old building increases its value accordingly and others get it and a new gentrifying neighborhood happens.

Happens a lot up North. Even warehousing becomes loft-living and new restaurants, grocery chains move in and infill other residential and offices too. The city upgrades streets and if smart adds trees and such.

Sometimes I'm surprised at what gets saved. But it becomes like that old rusting Camaro find .... you restore it and jack it up and a NEW value is in it.

In seeing the street-view of the possible fire building. The area is clearly near the downtown and should be ripe for new investment new or re-purposed old-stock. A mix is generally best as this area should keep its urban built.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Exactly. The "code" is the problem. It should not be cheaper to tear down and build anew instead of simply refreshing an older building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta