Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 11:54 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
There's no quick way to get from Jonesboro / Clayton County over to Newnan . Coweta County. Thousands of people already cross-commute through Fayetteville and Peachtree City going both ways and the traffic is horrific. The only real way to do it is going up 75 to 285 and back down 85, which is ridiculous.

The OP may want to consider Fayetteville or Peachtree City. Or even Senoia! There's lot more down there than people realize, and the film industry is driving development like Pinewood Forest that's designed to appeal to people in his demo. Fayette County is definitely the BEST BET for "splitting the difference" ... and the drive into Atlanta isn't bad either.
How is interstate traffic worse than Hwy 54 in the morning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 12:09 PM

815 posts, read 708,768 times
Quote:
There's no quick way to get from Jonesboro / Clayton County over to Newnan . Coweta County. Thousands of people already cross-commute through Fayetteville and Peachtree City going both ways and the traffic is horrific. The only real way to do it is going up 75 to 285 and back down 85, which is ridiculous.

The OP may want to consider Fayetteville or Peachtree City. Or even Senoia! There's lot more down there than people realize, and the film industry is driving development like Pinewood Forest that's designed to appeal to people in his demo. Fayette County is definitely the BEST BET for "splitting the difference" ... and the drive into Atlanta isn't bad either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
How is interstate traffic worse than Hwy 54 in the morning?

Getting to Newnan from Jonesboro is not a quick shot, but I'd think that a reverse commute on 285/85 would be a pretty quick drive even though it would be more miles.

Fayette County would definitely be the best bet distance wise and amenity wise, although they'd have to pay significantly more. Didn't think about Senoia. That is a good choice too, but like Newnan, kinda far from Downtown.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
Getting to Newnan from Jonesboro is not a quick shot, but I'd think that a reverse commute on 285/85 would be a pretty quick drive even though it would be more miles.

Fayette County would definitely be the best bet distance wise and amenity wise, although they'd have to pay significantly more. Didn't think about Senoia. That is a good choice too, but like Newnan, kinda far from Downtown.
That’s the issue. These areas are a long distance from the city, and I know different people have different tolerances, but I personally wouldn’t recommend driving that far a distance for entertainment.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:

They also need to be close to Griffin, and a Peachtree City/Fayetteville to Griffin commute would be hell compared to Jonesboro.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
They also need to be close to Griffin, and a Peachtree City/Fayetteville to Griffin commute would be hell compared to Jonesboro.

It's actually very easy to Griffin from Fayette County. My MIL lives there. It takes us a little under 30 minutes from North PTC. From South PTC you could get there in 15-20. It would also be about 20 minutes to Newnan. To Downtown Atlanta, you could make it in just under 30 minutes during a non-rush period.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:28 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:

Newnan may be far in terms of distance, but with I-85 it's just as fast or even faster getting to/from downtown than it is from Fayette County, especially with the backups and traffic signals you have to deal with on Highways 85 and 74.

I agree that Fayetteville's technically a good choice for a true "split the distance" location. That said, I just feel Fayette County (compared to Coweta County) overall falls short of offering the cultural and recreational amenities that younger folks like myself tend to look for as far as entertainment/enjoyment when unable to make it into the city (vibrant/walkable downtowns, movie theatres, arcades, etc.)

Old 06-13-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Newnan may be far in terms of distance, but with I-85 it's just as fast or even faster getting to/from downtown than it is from Fayette County, especially with the backups and traffic signals you have to seal with on Highways 85 and 74.

I agree that Fayetteville's technically a good choice for a true "split the distance" location. That said, I just feel Fayette County (compared to Coweta County) overall falls short of offering the cultural and recreational amenities that younger folks like myself tend to look for as far as entertainment/enjoyment when unable to make it into the city (vibrant/walkable downtowns, movie theatres, arcades, etc.)

PTC would definitely not be the place for singles but Fayetteville is starting to become a happening place thanks to Pinewood.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:14 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
That's not true at all. I've been driving that route my whole life and know for a fact that it's only 20 miles from downtown Fayetteville to downtown Griffin via GA 92 -- 30 minutes TOPS even with traffic because it's mostly rural countryside.

From the heart of Peachtree City (GA 74-54) it's only slightly further -- 28 miles via GA 74 South to GA 85 South and then GA 16 East, or about 40 minutes according to Google Maps. Again, once you leave Peachtree City the entire route is rural and undeveloped through Coweta and Spalding counties.

The drive from Jonesboro to Griffin on 19/41 is far worse IMO.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:10 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Newnan may be far in terms of distance, but with I-85 it's just as fast or even faster getting to/from downtown than it is from Fayette County, especially with the backups and traffic signals you have to deal with on Highways 85 and 74.

It's coming! The "downtown" entertainment district at Pinewood Forest is gonna be awesome! Last week the city signed off on plans for another "new urbanist" development just a mile away called Folia Crossroads (by the same people behind Old Milton in North Fulton). And plans are moving forward to redevelop several blocks in the heart of town for new residential, retail, restaurants, nightlife, a hotel and possibly a movie bistro.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2018/2/19...ter-renderings

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...etteville.html

https://fayetteville-ga.gov/economic...wn-master-plan.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:54 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
It's coming! The "downtown" entertainment district at Pinewood Forest is gonna be awesome! Last week the city signed off on plans for another "new urbanist" development just a mile away called Folia Crossroads (by the same people behind Old Milton in North Fulton). And plans are moving forward to redevelop several blocks in the heart of town for new residential, retail, restaurants, nightlife, a hotel and possibly a movie bistro.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2018/2/19...ter-renderings

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...etteville.html

https://fayetteville-ga.gov/economic...wn-master-plan.
Nice looking development. But, it looks like they plan on tearing down numerous buildings and homes to build it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta