Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 07:01 AM

239 posts, read 673,151 times

Advertisements

Hi. Do people down here generally get termite bonds on their homes? mine is up for renewal. would like to know how common it is for a house to actually get infested. let's say on a 3 level SF house in forsyth not too far from the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 07:26 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
You will eventually get termites but you may notice the damage before it gets out of hand. You could skip the renewal and keep a close eye on things. Termites will typically enter and hit the garage or basement area. If you have a finished basement, then you're really gambling because you cannot see the mud tunnels they create. I had termites in two of my homes in Atlanta, but I spotted the signs early and the damage was so minimal that no repair was required. I just had someone come out and do the Termidor treatment and no more termites. Do you feel lucky?

Old 06-16-2018, 10:20 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,611 times
You typically can't sell it without a termite bond which then requires the more costly inspection etc at that time rather than paying the renewal rate.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:57 PM

654 posts, read 526,605 times
Im my experience termite bonds are not standard in atlanta. Certainty not as common as in other areas. In the end proper maintenance and inspection is the best defense. The buried bait traps work great if you follow the correct procedures. Also there are spray products that work well.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:07 AM

333 posts, read 387,805 times
Some owners do get termite bonds, often as a condition (though not required) of a purchase and sale transaction. If someone is interested in a property that has trees, shrubs, kudzu, in fact, any kind of lawn growth connecting with the surface of a home under consideration, a request for a termite bond is often part of the offer. It is the same with properties that have improper wood-to-ground contact and stucco exteriors, especially when they touch the surface of the earth.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:05 AM

I don't plan to sell the home for several years since I just moved in. Can I just purchase the bond closer to the time I list for sale?

For now, maybe I can do once a year inspections. I generally am not a fan of warranties. The bond costs 300/yr

Last edited by nyc2020; 06-19-2018 at 11:52 AM..

Old 06-19-2018, 11:22 AM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,727,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2020 View Post
I don't plan to sell the home for several years since I just moved in. Can I just purchase the bond closer to the time I lost?

For now, maybe I can do once a year inspections. I generally am not a fan of warranties. The bond costs 300/yr
This is what I intend to do as I found the whole bond thing super-scammy. I DIY my own pest control and that's it. I'm not paying for someone to come check some traps every 6 months so I can 'sell my house' at market value. You can let someone else buy the house when I sell it if it's so important to you.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:24 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
I have always required a termite bond on a home when I purchased it. Buyers have always required termite bonds on homes I have sold. However, I never renewed a termite bond. As long as you pay to have your home inspected and treated, I imagine you'll be just fine. It appears that today's treatments are pretty darn effective.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:00 PM

how much does a treatment go for down here?

Old 06-19-2018, 10:06 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
Everyone has different tolerance for risk.

I don't chose to do so. I insisted my house have a termite bond when I bought it, and I've never let it lapse. I've been told if you live in Georgia, it's not a matter of if you'll get termites, but when.

I was raised just not to chance it with termites.

Maybe that's outdated. I mean, I don't even know how they treat them these days. You don't see those giant tents over houses anymore, so they must have better ways now. I still just carry a termite bond to be safe. I want to be able to say the house has never been out of bond so if the new owner takes it over, the company can't wiggle out of it by saying the damage happened when the house wasn't covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta