Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 776 times

Advertisements

West Vinings Place is located in Unincorporated Smyrna Vinings. They have signs posted that state that they are a Private Community and “No
Dog Walking Allowed”... they are not gated and I am wondering if they have a “leg to stand on” so to speak?
As a former Realtor of 30+ years, it was always my understanding that the roads and sidewalks must by OWNED by the community to be able to make any demand that pedestrians cannot walk on their sidewalks with their dogs on a leash (I pick up from my pet!)...they are free to walk their pets in adjacent neighborhoods.
If they community doesn’t own the roads or walks can they post signs and tell people that they cannot walk their dogs through there. Funny, I rarely see anyone walking a pet through there...it’s not like a parade of pets for gosh sake! Can someone clarify this for me? Is this just done as a snooty
deterrent? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 05:44 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousSmyrna View Post
West Vinings Place is located in Unincorporated Smyrna Vinings. They have signs posted that state that they are a Private Community and “No
Dog Walking Allowed”... they are not gated and I am wondering if they have a “leg to stand on” so to speak?
As a former Realtor of 30+ years, it was always my understanding that the roads and sidewalks must by OWNED by the community to be able to make any demand that pedestrians cannot walk on their sidewalks with their dogs on a leash (I pick up from my pet!)...they are free to walk their pets in adjacent neighborhoods.
If they community doesn’t own the roads or walks can they post signs and tell people that they cannot walk their dogs through there. Funny, I rarely see anyone walking a pet through there...it’s not like a parade of pets for gosh sake! Can someone clarify this for me? Is this just done as a snooty
deterrent? Thank you.
You are correct. They would have to own the roads to enforce such a thing. If not, the signs are there simply for the purpose of intimidation.
My dad lived in a gated community for years in Florida that had a security checkpoint, but because the roads were public the guard could not refuse you entry.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:44 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,775,133 times
Correction - the area should be referred to as unincorporated Cobb County. As a private community, I assume they have an HOA.

Since they do not own the roads - I highly doubt they could call the cops on you if you walk your dog. But as an HOA I suspect they could make your life difficult and impose some fines.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:48 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Interesting. Since they are public streets are people who don't live there allowed to park at the curb?

Old 06-17-2018, 06:55 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Who wants to live in a neighborhood without dogs? If you don't appreciate my pups, I don't wanna live near you. I don't trust someone that doesn't like dogs.

Old 06-17-2018, 06:58 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,316,251 times
We used to live immediately next to West Vinings Place. It's a lovely neighborhood, very nicely landscaped, and we used to walk through it all the time. We met several homeowners on our walks, all of whom were very friendly and were perfectly fine with us walking through their neighborhood even though we made it perfectly clear that we lived just down the street. We did not, however, walk any dogs during our strolls.

Having lived down the street when this neighborhood was built, I do suspect, however, that their streets are private and are maintained by the HOA. Unfortunately, Cobb GIS appears to be down for maintenance this evening, but that could probably give you an answer, as it's a pretty comprehensive database.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:11 PM

7,360 posts, read 6,532,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
Correction - the area should be referred to as unincorporated Cobb County. As a private community, I assume they have an HOA.

Since they do not own the roads - I highly doubt they could call the cops on you if you walk your dog. But as an HOA I suspect they could make your life difficult and impose some fines.
Only if you're a member of said HOA.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:25 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,316,251 times
Cobb GIS is back up. Yes, the streets in this neighborhood are indeed private, and so the HOA can exert some control over how they're used.

Again, we used to walk through here as non-residents and were always greeted with smiles, so I don't think you have anything to worry about. There appeared to be plenty of animal lovers as well; we were often greeted by friendly and obviously well cared for cats on our walks. I do think it's fair of the homeowners, who obviously spend a ton on landscaping either collectively or as individuals, to ask outsiders to kindly not let their dogs mess things up, though perhaps their sign could be worded a bit differently.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:48 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Cobb GIS is back up. Yes, the streets in this neighborhood are indeed private, and so the HOA can exert some control over how they're used.

Again, we used to walk through here as non-residents and were always greeted with smiles, so I don't think you have anything to worry about. There appeared to be plenty of animal lovers as well; we were often greeted by friendly and obviously well cared for cats on our walks. I do think it's fair of the homeowners, who obviously spend a ton on landscaping either collectively or as individuals, to ask outsiders to kindly not let their dogs mess things up, though perhaps their sign could be worded a bit differently.
Agreed. As much as I love dogs, people still need to show some respect for another man's lawn. That's not the fault of the dog, it's the human's responsibility.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:06 PM

765 posts, read 1,110,801 times
There are several restaurants and retail businesses in West Vinings Place, so it's not that private - those businesses would lose business if there was a perception that their customers would be hassled by the HOA. Homeowners knew when they bought there that there would always be a stream of visitors to those restaurants and bars. If they had wanted a real private community they wouldn't have bought there in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: