Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 06:07 PM

712 posts, read 701,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Aside from the fact that metro Atlanta actually is adding more people, there are no real natural barriers to growth in the region nor is there a larger metro nearby that it bumps up against and those are issues for Philly. Honestly it really sucks for Philly but if the OMB revises any of the criteria associated with the designation of metropolitan areas, that may keep Philly from slipping down the list so fast. If it happens to win HQ2 (and it is a strong candidate with one of the best proposed sites), that would be immensely helpful in boosting the region's growth.
The constant expansion of the NYC CSA prevents Philadelphia’s geographic designation from growing. Mercer County NJ (Trenton) was part of Philadelphia’s MSA until 1990 when it was moved to the NYC CSA. Downtown Trenton is 15 miles from the Philadelphia city limits. Trenton along with the Lehigh Valley (Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton) are part of the Philadelphia DMA but are for census purposes part of the NYC CSA. Given its modest population growth and inability to expand its geographic designation Philadelphia is going to continue to fall in the metro population list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 08:03 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Largest 10 is not really the same thing as Top 10, let's keep in mind. Houston is the 5th largest metro, and I'd much prefer to live in Seattle, any day of the week, which is the 15th largest.
Okay, I'm just saying Atlanta has managed to attract more people than all but 8 (soon to be 7) metropolitan areas in the country. That's the result of a lot of hard work and investment.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:23 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
This is not a badge of honor. Between traffic, water, insufficient transit, disrepair infrastructure... I don't really think adding a gazillion more folks to the region is necessarily a great thing right now. I hope it all bodes better than I fear.
The irony of this way of thinking growth is actually the catalyst to fix those issues. Without growth increase stagnation and less redevelopment.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:46 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
The irony of this way of thinking growth is actually the catalyst to fix those issues. Without growth increase stagnation and less redevelopment.
People who are lamenting rapid growth aren't necessarily arguing for no growth. I'm pretty sure there's a nice middle between the two extremes--such as healthy, modest growth?

Old 06-27-2018, 07:16 AM

651 posts, read 476,179 times
This is a weird thread.

Like, I understand the point of people saying growth isn't a good thing without attention to QOL aspects like infrastructure growing along with it.

At the same time,you got folks who because of the above reasons don't think Atlanta would surpass Philly as a "top 10 place".

Yet, most of them live in Atlanta and clearly choose to live here because they aren't natives, so is Philly really that much better in their personal context and if not why live the contradiction and stay in Atlanta ?

There isn't a stark cost of living difference and it is not in another country.

Clearly something about Atlanta is better to them.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:24 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
This is a weird thread.

Like, I understand the point of people saying growth isn't a good thing without attention to QOL aspects like infrastructure growing along with it.

At the same time,you got folks who because of the above reasons don't think Atlanta would surpass Philly as a "top 10 place".

Yet, most of them live in Atlanta and clearly choose to live here because they aren't natives, so is Philly really that much better in their personal context and if not why live the contradiction and stay in Atlanta ?

There isn't a stark cost of living difference and it is not in another country.

Clearly something about Atlanta is better to them.
Yes, clearly, but it's something they're unwilling to admit to themselves for whatever reason.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:46 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
People who are lamenting rapid growth aren't necessarily arguing for no growth. I'm pretty sure there's a nice middle between the two extremes--such as healthy, modest growth?
Precisely.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:52 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,476,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Yes, clearly, but it's something they're unwilling to admit to themselves for whatever reason.

Maybe some people prefer Green, A city in the Forest,,, Who knows??? That's not Philly by any means

Old 06-27-2018, 09:20 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Precisely.
Considering Atlanta was growing 140k a year and now just 80 to 90k this is pretty moderate.

And this doesn't change my point. Growth is fuel for change, it increase the tax base to fund those fixes and it give developers more confidence in projects for redevelopment. Not to mention growth change the demographics and political culture which affect these issues. So the slower the growth slower those issues will be addressed. And AnsleyPark didn't mention growth rate in that post what was mention a complaint over issues as if all growth would lead to more of it.. so my response was directly respond to that. So " Precisely." is more like relief that someone disagree with me regardless that it had nothing to do with the post. My post was specific to that point. Growth create challenges but it also create opportunities.

The focus shouldn't be on growth vs no growth but rather the type of growth itself.

Last edited by chiatldal; 06-27-2018 at 09:43 AM..

Old 06-27-2018, 09:20 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Maybe some people prefer Green, A city in the Forest,,, Who knows??? That's not Philly by any means
Ever been to Philadelphia? Its neighborhoods are quite forested, and the urban areas have an impressive amount of dedicated park space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta